• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Good job man... It's a relief that someone else had the same thing happen and they told you they got paid for the demo as well. I really questioned that pitch.

they probably don't get paid for the demo, unless their boss is riding with them and can actually witness it. Still not quite sure if they are legit or not but I don't like any door to door salespeople or religious cults coming to my house.

However I can appreciate kids selling girl scout cookies or candy for fundraisers for sports or schools.

#17 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,765 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

more patience than I.....I would have just said no thanks and closed the door.

Yeah, that was my first thought and impulse, but again, I get caught up in "what if..." Plus, I stepped out of the door so I wasn't standing there with the door open/cracked with my kids playing behind me, so I kind of trapped myself.

If I knew from the jump that she wasn't a neighbor it wouldn't have lasted nearly as long and I wouldn't have felt as bad about just doing what you would've done - "No thanks" and that is that.

#18 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

LOL

http://www.cockeyed....irby/kirby.html

http://www.cockeyed....kirbymail.shtml

#19 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,765 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

they probably don't get paid for the demo, unless their boss is riding with them and can actually witness it. Still not quite sure if they are legit or not but I don't like any door to door salespeople or religious cults coming to my house.

However I can appreciate kids selling girl scout cookies or candy for fundraisers for sports or schools.

Yeah, that's what I thought was funny about it as well... How do they track that? Plus, a quick google search found that due to their "high pressure" tactics in the past, they came to an agreement with some consumer agency that they have to get a written agreement to do in-home demos before doing so... Well, I didn't see any paperwork in-sight. And from what I read, they strictly get paid off of the sale and nothing else, unless something has changed... So, it very well could be the new line they're being told to push...

All I know is, regardless of how I handled it, they weren't coming in my house. LOL.

I've always been funny about that stuff since I was a kid and for good reason. When I was around 7 or so, when we were living in rougher area in Fayetteville, one night we came home from the grocery store. It was my mom, me and my 2 sisters, my dad was at work. Probably about 9 pm or so. My mom told all of us to go inside as she brought in the groceries. We had one of our dogs at the time in the bathroom because she had broken her chain outside, and she told us not to let the dog out.

Well, we went inside and one of us had to use the bathroom... May have been me. Unbeknownst to us, two guys had been standing in our front yard when we pulled up. They must've been scoping out the house as we got home and jumped behind a tree we had in the front yard. They both walked up on my mom and started closing in on her when she tried to load up the groceries, saying they were looking to sell magazines... We accidentally let our dog out the front door and she immediately ran out and jumped on both of them and tried to rip them to shreds. They ran off... Funny thing is, that dog was the sweetest dog in the world. She was a collie and had never been aggressive towards anyone before that I had seen.

So yeah, I'm really funny about people being in my "space."

#20 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

I give them about 10 seconds and then I start to try and sell them one of my CD's, they're usually gone in less than 10 seconds.

#21 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

I just get women texting me their pics of themselves in lingerie for the hop that I may want to photograph them.

Pretty annoying.

#22 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,765 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

LOL

http://www.cockeyed....irby/kirby.html

http://www.cockeyed....kirbymail.shtml

That second scenario with the older couple creeps me out... I can see that happening with the ones that showed up here today. They, at least the woman, seemed like people on the edge and desperate. So, it makes a lot of sense for them to impose on you, get in your home, and then help themselves to things. If that is their plan, they should be thankful I didn't let them in, or it would've been a much less pleasant experience for them.

#23 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,734 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I just get women texting me their pics of themselves in lingerie for the hop that I may want to photograph them.

Pretty annoying.

Yeah, that sounds just horrible Zod... how to you cope?

#24 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I'd give them 10 seconds after I asked them to leave before I'd go get my shotgun. Then, cooler head would prevail and I'd call the cops and have them arrested for trespassing.

#25 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Pretty annoying.

Thanks for forwarding them to me, preesh.

#26 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 5,987 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Just answer the door with your dick out.

#27 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Normally, if I don't recognize you, I will answer the door, but I have my pistol behind my back.

I will apologize later if you are asked to come in or if we need to carry on a conversation.

#28 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

One time my Dad got one of those door to door salesmen to vaccum like our entire house then didn't buy poo.

Good times.

#29 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

I dont let any strangers into my home- and I keep a loaded weapon inside the front door.

Dont mean to sound rude but with this pushy bitch Id have told her to get off my land immediately

#30 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

So, I'm watching my kids, hanging out around the house earlier and get an unexpected ring of the doorbell. I look out the peep hole and see a woman, probably late 30s-40s. I don't recognize her, but figure she might be a new neighbor or something because our neighborhood is still doing a lot of building.

My kids are still running around playing, I open the door and in hindsight, I think the woman was walking upwards, as though she was forcing my hand to let her in... So, per usual, I step out of the door and shut it so she can't come in or look in. She's holding a spray bottle and hands it to me, shakes my hand and says it's a free gift she's giving out as part of "her business."

Then she starts to tell me that she's going around doing in-home demonstrations for her products and so "we're just gonna come in and do that. okay?" I told her no, that I was home watching 3 kids and didn't really have time for it (now wishing I would've just told her no and not been cordial about it and gave her any other info).

She continues, saying "you've heard of Kirby vacuums?" I told her I have, but I have other stuff going on. I said the kids are playing and everything so I just can't do it right now. She keeps badgering me and made it a point to say at least 3 different times, that she's not asking me to buy anything, she just gets paid for doing the in-home demonstration. Regardless, I don't like strangers invading my personal space or having the opportunity to check out my family, our home, our property, etc.

I tell her that I'm all about supporting people's businesses and entrepreneurship, but I'm just not comfortable with it. She asks what I'm not comfortable with and I tell her "I don't know. I'm at home watching my kids, we got other stuff going on... I'm just not comfortable with it. I can't do it." She then asks if they're my kids, I tell her yes, and she says it's okay, they can watch the demonstration. She also asked if I was the homeowner and how long I've been in the home (which I lied about and said a year because it was none of her business).

I reaffirm that I'm not comfortable with it and I can't do it because I'm not going to buy anything from her anyway so there's no point in doing it... She acts pissy, takes her magic green spray bottle gift and says "well, let me have that for the next one then..."

The whole time she was talking to me there was a dude sitting out in a beat up Astrovan or something with a magnet for Kirby sales on the side and he was eyeing me down the whole time. One good thing that happened during this was that my alarm was set to stay when I opened the door so I had to run back and turn it off before I came back to the door and talked to her. So, she knows we have a legit security system.

Anyone had any similar experiences? Think anything sounds extra fishy about this or is it par for the course?

We've only been here since May or so, and that's about the 3rd different door sales pitch I've encountered. I hate that stuff... I find it disrespectful and unprofessional. No to mention this lady was dressed like she was going to the club and not to work.

http://voices.yahoo....mo-3630651.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.