#1 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,081 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_2114525.html

This is a long read, but very worthwhile. It's ridiculous that some of these properties were built in the first place -- greed and nothing more, on the part of developers -- but the fact that there are vows to "rebuild" is doubly ridiculous.

I'm sure the same could be said about some locations in New Orleans as well as other locations that are vulnerable.

At some point, the locals are making the money (developers) and taking their chances ... and the federal government is going to pay for it. And, you know who the "federal government" is, right?

The state and local governmental entities allow this development, knowing the dangers and risks, then the feds have to come to the rescue.

#2 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

so why are you anti-business

#3 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

If I'm not mistaken, insurance rates for beachfront properties are subsidized in NC. More or less encouraging the same thing

#4 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Matthew 7:24-27
The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Areas of destruction should be returned to the way they were before all the reckless development of the last century.

If you want to spend a week at the beach pitch a tent.

No more taxpayer dollars/welfare to rebuild homes in areas that are only destined to be destroyed again and again and again.

#5 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken, insurance rates for beachfront properties are subsidized in NC. More or less encouraging the same thing

They are. This changed only recently. Something Bev pushed for I believe.

#6 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,938 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

correct. which stinks.

#7 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_2114525.html

This is a long read, but very worthwhile. It's ridiculous that some of these properties were built in the first place -- greed and nothing more, on the part of developers -- but the fact that there are vows to "rebuild" is doubly ridiculous.

I'm sure the same could be said about some locations in New Orleans as well as other locations that are vulnerable.

At some point, the locals are making the money (developers) and taking their chances ... and the federal government is going to pay for it. And, you know who the "federal government" is, right?

The state and local governmental entities allow this development, knowing the dangers and risks, then the feds have to come to the rescue.

Wrong.

The government does not have to do any such thing. They have chosen to do so, but certainly don't "have" to do anything.

#8 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Wrong.

The government does not have to do any such thing. They have chosen to do so, but certainly don't "have" to do anything.

I suppose technically, you're right. FEMA is spending a lot of money now cleaning up those areas, and people will just rebuild their beachfronts ... and hope for the best, I guess.

#9 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

I suppose technically, you're right. FEMA is spending a lot of money now cleaning up those areas, and people will just rebuild their beachfronts ... and hope for the best, I guess.

No one said a word when they were helping the "poor" down in New Orleans.

Just another government program that "we can't live without".

#10 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

I actually think there were people who questioned the same thing in NO, but maybe not loudly.

#11 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

I actually think there were people who questioned the same thing in NO, but maybe not loudly.

OK to hate on the wealthy.

Horrible to hate on the poor.

The federal government has it's fingers in too many things these days, and because of that do nothing well.

#12 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Actually I remember having quite a few discussions on the benefits of rebuilding a city located in a god damn swamp below sea level. Also- nobody "said a word when they were helping the poor" because there wasnt a lot of help going to anyone after Katrina.

Looks like the same thing is happening here. There will be a few people talking about it, but most will not even question rebuilding after a storm, even if its painfully obvious we will be doing it again later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com