Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Citizens of multiple states create online petitions to secede from the US.

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#226 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

or, it could be that people have stopped buying their bullshit point of views...

#227 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

what news room?

Daytona Beach News-Journal.

the right has been whining about the media for decades. F*CKING DECADES. That's not to say there aren't liberal media orgs out there, just like there are conservative media orgs out there... but for you to hold up (what I assume) is a local paper... and say "this is the state of the media," is absurd.

You don't think Time magazine is worse?

I work in media... now, I disagree FUNDAMENTALLY with a lot of the content I work with... that doesn't mean I do a sh*t job of it, nor do I try to secretly insert messages into content. I'm very sorry you had/have a bad experience in your newsroom... But again, anecdotes don't mean sh*t.

I'm sorry, but you lose me when you say this. Why am I lsuspicious of what the religions tell me to believe? Because I believe what I see with my own eyes. Same goes with the liberal dogma. You say the victim is right 100 percent of the time. I know differently. And when I see a victim playing people like you, I'm going to point it out.

Unfortunately, it is true that true conservative perspective is lacking severely in the media... but that is because thoughtful conservative analysis has nearly gone the way of the dodo. Know why? Do you know why Drudge report, Fox News, breitbart, rush et al do better than things like The Weekly Standard, The NRO or the CSM? Can you tell me? Because honestly, it's not a lack of media that's the problem... the problem seems to be the inability to digest objective information by the audience and a total intolerance for anything that doesn't reinforce their beliefs.

No disagreement here. There are no William F. Buckleys out there today.

That doesn't exclude CNN and MSN etc from criticism... but the reality is, the news media isn't largely liberal OR conservative... it simply sucks balls... because that's what people consume and it's what people want... ball sucking.

Agreed on the ball sucking part, but....in my estimation the print media is 90 percent liberal. Talk radio is 90 percent conservative.

#228 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Daytona Beach News-Journal.

You don't think Time magazine is worse?

I'm sorry, but you lose me when you say this. Why am I lsuspicious of what the religions tell me to believe? Because I believe what I see with my own eyes. Same goes with the liberal dogma. You say the victim is right 100 percent of the time. I know differently. And when I see a victim playing people like you, I'm going to point it out.

you sure do deal in absolutes. i don't even know what "the victim is right 100 percent of the time" means...

what i'm saying is that when both sides constantly biatch that the media is biased against them that should tell you something. Some people are going to disagree with you... that doesn't mean that there is an agenda. Because you disagree with something in the paper doesn't mean it's a "liberal" paper. There's this expectation now that if an outlet isn't an echo chamber for someone's beliefs that it's biased... people never stop to consider that maybe they are the ones that are biased.

#229 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

is media "liberal" if it's things that conservatives don't want to hear? and vice versa?

if a paper runs a front page article debunking trickle-down economics, is it "liberal"?

e;fb

#230 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

you sure do deal in absolutes. i don't even know what "the victim is right 100 percent of the time" means...

what i'm saying is that when both sides constantly biatch that the media is biased against them that should tell you something. Some people are going to disagree with you... that doesn't mean that there is an agenda. Because you disagree with something in the paper doesn't mean it's a "liberal" paper. There's this expectation now that if an outlet isn't an echo chamber for someone's beliefs that it's biased... people never stop to consider that maybe they are the ones that are biased.

All of this came up when cookinwithgas said that this stuff only comes up when the Democrat wins. I'm saying it's there, you just don't get it presented to you. There has been a secessionist movement in Hawaii for a long time. Same with Alaska. Why haven't you heard about it? It's a small minority, and nobody in the continental U.S. cares. But Texas? Let's cue up the America hates its black president angle and go with it. The media offers no perspective. All they offer is absolutes. Fox/talk radio on one side and MSNBC/most other outlets on the other.

#231 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

i'd suggest reading Death by Journalism for a jarring look at the state of modern reporting. the reason more people look to the news as being for entertainment purposes only is due to the sheer numbers of lives they've touched directly with their bias. if you haven't been affected directly, then chances are decent that you know someone that has. youtube alone has done more to expose this in the past decade

#232 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

i hear enough whining about "political correctness" here on the huddle to waste my time going through twylyght's reading list

#233 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Spoken like a true "liberal"

#234 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I used to work in the printing industry, I had magazine, book and newspaper printers as my customers. Not that this has anything to do with your whining - if your analogy had any honesty, you would be complaining about how the liberal media took those nitwit liberal secession ideas seriously but honest conservative outrage was swept under the rug.

Working in the "printing industry" has absolutely nothing to do with what goes on in newsrooms and editorial board meetings. Nothing.

#235 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

All of this came up when cookinwithgas said that this stuff only comes up when the Democrat wins. I'm saying it's there, you just don't get it presented to you. There has been a secessionist movement in Hawaii for a long time. Same with Alaska. Why haven't you heard about it? It's a small minority, and nobody in the continental U.S. cares. But Texas? Let's cue up the America hates its black president angle and go with it. The media offers no perspective. All they offer is absolutes. Fox/talk radio on one side and MSNBC/most other outlets on the other.

Honestly, I think you're taking this a bit personally. I haven't seen much of what you describe on the news, I've seen a lot of it on the net... but honestly, i'm out of the loop when it comes to sh*t television.

#236 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Spoken like a true "liberal"

Ironically, although Bledsoe might not see it this way, the book he's written does to Feinsilver and his old paper what he accuses them of doing to Jack Perdue. For instance:
? Bledsoe says Feinsilver made mistakes and reported sloppily, yet Bledsoe has mistakes in his book. He writes that Feinsilver lived in Greensboro, not Asheboro. Untrue. And that Feinsilver is in a UNC graduate program. He's not. Bledsoe says if there are errors, he'll correct them in the next edition.
? Bledsoe criticizes Feinsilver for reporting on a class that he didn't attend, yet Bledsoe recreates scene after scene that he didn't observe. "It's worth noting that for someone who repeatedly criticizes me for reporting on a class I was not there to witness firsthand," says Feinsilver, "Bledsoe does almost nothing but second- and thirdhand reporting on these conversations he did not witness, including extensive use of the highly dubious practice of secondhand quoting."
? Bledsoe says the Civil War teacher Feinsilver depicts doesn't come close to resembling Perdue. Those who know Feinsilver, from his mother and girlfriend to those who don't necessarily like him, say they don't recognize the former reporter in Bledsoe's one-dimensional portrayal.
? Bledsoe accuses Feinsilver of trying to stir up sensationalism with his story on Perdue's class. Yet for the cover of his book, Bledsoe chose a design in which big, bold red letters on a stark white background scream: "Death by Journalism?"
? In the book, and in his recent columns, Bledsoe makes repeated ad hominem attacks on Feinsilver, too many to list, and on Robinson, a one-time friend whom he now calls publicly, "Dissemblin' John."
Most reviewers of Bledsoe's book do just what Bledsoe criticized the national press for when it unquestioningly picked up Feinsilver's Civil War story. Most reviewers say Bledsoe's book should be widely disseminated as a cautionary journalism tale. Few seem too bothered by the book's one-sided nature, or inclined to go beyond Bledsoe's version.

http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=2553

go cry about the PC POLICE LIEBERAL FASCIST MEDIA somewhere else

#237 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=2553

go cry about the PC POLICE LIEBERAL FASCIST MEDIA somewhere else

Feel free to try and discuss the case on its merits rather than ad hominem attacks

#238 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Honestly, I think you're taking this a bit personally. I haven't seen much of what you describe on the news, I've seen a lot of it on the net... but honestly, i'm out of the loop when it comes to sh*t television.

These "secessionists" are just people trying to let off steam. They're frustrated and feel like their side lost the election because of dirty tactics. Not much different than the people who bitched and complained after Bush's two wins.

#239 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Feel free to try and discuss the case on its merits rather than ad hominem attacks

huh funny how you could say the same about the author of the whiny bullshit you're promoting here

#240 twylyght

twylyght

• HUDDLER
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

huh funny how you could say the same about the author of the whiny bullshit you're promoting here

So I can assume that you are saying that the veracity of the crux of his story was not true?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.