54 replies to this topic

#31 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

I don't like players who fall down upon contact. That's crap. Man up and try to stop somebody yourself without relying on referees. If a guy comes into the lane like a bull in a china shop then yes, holding your ground while getting trucked is acceptable. But when some white kid slides over to draw a foul on a future first round draft pick, it's pretty easy to see what's going on. Duke is abusing the rule and the spirit of the rule. Have been for years. On twitter, writers who hate Calipari were taking up for his comment and giving him hell for backing off of them after the game.

Abusing the rule or taking advantage of the rule? UK plays out of control most of the time and part of that is because they are so young, don't get mad at Duke for taking advantage of someone being out of control that's smart basketball. Don't be mad at the "unathletic white guy" that plays the game smarter and gets the best of you. Duke is not going to out "athlete" UK so they have to play smarter. Last year UK was called for 59 charges while their opponents were only called for 14, why? Because they play so many freshmen, they play out of control and they don't know how to take a charge. Cal has been complaining for years about the block/charge call and will always have some excuse.

#32 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

sounds like its time to put in the charge lane under the rim like in the nba. Nevertheless, I hope duke gets put in our bracket in march. Duke took advantage of our freshmen and I can't blame them for that. But that d is not gonna play against a vet team or even uk in march.

If you look closely at the pic you will see there is a charge circle under the rim and the Duke player is clearly on the outside of it when he took the charge.

Attached Files

• Attached File  noel.jpg   91.04KB   6 downloads

#33 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Abusing the rule or taking advantage of the rule? UK plays out of control most of the time and part of that is because they are so young, don't get mad at Duke for taking advantage of someone being out of control that's smart basketball. Don't be mad at the "unathletic white guy" that plays the game smarter and gets the best of you. Duke is not going to out "athlete" UK so they have to play smarter. Last year UK was called for 59 charges while their opponents were only called for 14, why? Because they play so many freshmen, they play out of control and they don't know how to take a charge. Cal has been complaining for years about the block/charge call and will always have some excuse.

Would you agree with me that the call is basically arbitrary? I don't mean to make it sound like Duke is the only school that benefits from it. Hell, Indiana made a living off of it with Knight, too. What I don't like is that more than 50 percent of the time the refs get it wrong when you look at the replay. The offensive player leaves his feet, then a split second later the defender slides over and the ref says he was set. No he wasn't. But that's almost impossible for the ref to see. Solution? Do like the NBA and basically never call a charge unless it's obvious. That stops 90 percent of the flopping in its tracks. No one wants to fall on the ground and not get a call...they look like an ass.

#34 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Would you agree with me that the call is basically arbitrary? I don't mean to make it sound like Duke is the only school that benefits from it. Hell, Indiana made a living off of it with Knight, too. What I don't like is that more than 50 percent of the time the refs get it wrong when you look at the replay. The offensive player leaves his feet, then a split second later the defender slides over and the ref says he was set. No he wasn't. But that's almost impossible for the ref to see. Solution? Do like the NBA and basically never call a charge unless it's obvious. That stops 90 percent of the flopping in its tracks. No one wants to fall on the ground and not get a call...they look like an ass.

I think if it is that big of a deal the NCAA should train the officials better, it is arbitrary just like pass interference so bad calls will happen but I don't think it is out of control by any means. I also don't think the refs get over 50% of the charge/block calls wrong. By rule if there is contact initiated by the offensive player and the defensive player is in position it is an offensive foul. I don't like flopping either but it happens in basketball and football, in football players over exaggerate when being held so the ref sees it, it's just part of the game.

#35 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

By the way, I don't think it's a Duke thing. I think it's an ACC thing. That's why they get hammered by Big East teams in the tournament when there aren't ACC refs.

#36 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,483 posts
  • Location704

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

My room mate who is a Duke "fan" was thumping his chest about "whooping Kentucky's ass" on Tuesday night.

"But they are the defending National Champs!!"

Yeah, the school is the defending champion, but nobody those upperclassmen played against were. LOL.

This is exactly the type of team I expect K to do well with for the most part. No stars. A bunch of coachable players who will have to result to flopping and relegated to playing a half court game.

Oh yeah, and YOU DO NOT HAVE A PG.

But we've seen what can happen when duke matches up against a quicker, more athletic, and to be blunt a team of ballers.

I expect Duke to be around the top 3 in the ACC this year and then lose when they run into a more athletic team in the tournament.

Y'all Dookies can try and dissect this and call me a TarHole but what I've said is FACT.

#37 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,483 posts
  • Location704

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

By the way, I don't think it's a Duke thing. I think it's an ACC thing. That's why they get hammered by Big East teams in the tournament when there aren't ACC refs.

Yeah I saw Zeller do it more than a few times last year, but let's be honest here. It's coached and encouraged by K. They have to incorporate this to the Duke game plan because they simply can not run, and can not bang with the more athletic, physical teams in the country and ACC.

FACTS.

#38 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

My room mate who is a Duke "fan" was thumping his chest about "whooping Kentucky's ass" on Tuesday night.

Yeah, the school is the defending champion, but nobody those upperclassmen played against were. LOL.

This is exactly the type of team I expect K to do well with for the most part. No stars. A bunch of coachable players who will have to result to flopping and relegated to playing a half court game.

But we've seen what can happen when duke matches up against a quicker, more athletic, and to be blunt a team of ballers.

I expect Duke to be around the top 3 in the ACC this year and then lose when they run into a more athletic team in the tournament.

Y'all Dookies can try and dissect this and call me a TarHole but what I've said is FACT.

You have a right to your opinion but it doesn't make it facts. We actually have some athletes and we don't have to play a half court game, we can run if we want.

We don't have a PG? Cook had 9 assists last night and is averaging 8ppg, and 5apg for the season all while splitting time with Thornton. Cook is only a sophomore and is still learning he will get better as the season goes along just like the UK players.

#39 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yeah I saw Zeller do it more than a few times last year, but let's be honest here. It's coached and encouraged by K. They have to incorporate this to the Duke game plan because they simply can not run, and can not bang with the more athletic, physical teams in the country and ACC.

FACTS.

That is an idiotic statement, coach K does teach how to take a charge but to say he coaches his players to flop is moronic. I mean do you think roy taught Hansbrough and Zeller the art of the flop, because they were damn good at it.

#40 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

The whole flopping thing is a bullshit argument. If you want to stop getting called for charging. Learn how to dribble the ball. You don't see good ball handlers getting called for charging. AI, CP3, Deron Williams, Kobe, Mano, Wade, Lebron and a lot of other good ball handlers. Never get called for it because they can dribble the ball with their heads up. Looking at whats in front of them. There are moves like the euro step, the cross over, and the drop step that help you not commit a charge. If players would practice on their ball handling instead of trying to get by on athletic ability alone then this would not be a problem.

So coach Cal stop bitching and teach your players how to dribble with their heads up.

#41 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, about that. Quinn Cook MVP of the tourney!!!!

#42 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,483 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Yeah cook has been playing well.

Congrats on winning your November tournament!

#43 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Yeah cook has been playing well.

Congrats on winning your November tournament!

Thanks, the object is to win games right?

#44 toldozer

toldozer

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Congrats on winning the mau... Oh wait nevermind

#45 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

The whole flopping thing is a bullshit argument. If you want to stop getting called for charging. Learn how to dribble the ball. You don't see good ball handlers getting called for charging. AI, CP3, Deron Williams, Kobe, Mano, Wade, Lebron and a lot of other good ball handlers. Never get called for it because they can dribble the ball with their heads up. Looking at whats in front of them. There are moves like the euro step, the cross over, and the drop step that help you not commit a charge. If players would practice on their ball handling instead of trying to get by on athletic ability alone then this would not be a problem.

So coach Cal stop bitching and teach your players how to dribble with their heads up.

I don't mind when Archie Goodwin drives one against three and they call the charge. I expect that. It's when Alex Poythress gets a foul at the top of the key trying to lean around the defender to make a pass and the guy flops. Honestly, I think that's the call that got under Cal's skin and why he said that. It was 30 seconds before halftime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com