54 replies to this topic

#46 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

I don't mind when Archie Goodwin drives one against three and they call the charge. I expect that. It's when Alex Poythress gets a foul at the top of the key trying to lean around the defender to make a pass and the guy flops. Honestly, I think that's the call that got under Cal's skin and why he said that. It was 30 seconds before halftime.

That word lean means that was the player who created contact. Which will go against you everytime. You can't lean around a defender infront of you. You're leaning to create space which is a foul.

#47 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

That word lean means that was the player who created contact. Which will go against you everytime. You can't lean around a defender infront of you. You're leaning to create space which is a foul.

It's still a flop, dude. He had picked up his dribble and had a defender wrapped around him. When you fall to the floor because of some guy's arm at the top of the key, that's pussy defense and everyone but Duke fans seem to know it.

#48 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

It's still a flop, dude. He had picked up his dribble and had a defender wrapped around him. When you fall to the floor because of some guy's arm at the top of the key, that's pussy defense and everyone but Duke fans seem to know it.

It's not pussy defense, it's good defense. If the defender is in position and the offensive player tries to create space it's a foul. Other teams do the same thing it means they are well coached. I mean you said yourself the UK player tried to create space with his arm, that is an offensive foul no matter what.

#49 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

It's not pussy defense, it's good defense. If the defender is in position and the offensive player tries to create space it's a foul. Other teams do the same thing it means they are well coached. I mean you said yourself the UK player tried to create space with his arm, that is an offensive foul no matter what.

At the top of the key? As Calipari pointed out, do that crap in the NBA and they'll fine you for it now. It's a BS way to play the game. Oh, your arm has knocked me down. I'll act like I'm fainting.

#50 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

At the top of the key? As Calipari pointed out, do that crap in the NBA and they'll fine you for it now. It's a BS way to play the game. Oh, your arm has knocked me down. I'll act like I'm fainting.

You CAN'T clear out space with your arm anywhere on the court whether you knock someone down or not. Is it an offensive foul if you go in for a layup and you clear out with your off hand? Yes it is, you don't have to knock anyone down for it to be an offensive foul. Clearing out is not allowed in the NBA or in college bottom line.

#51 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

You CAN'T clear out space with your arm anywhere on the court whether you knock someone down or not. Is it an offensive foul if you go in for a layup and you clear out with your off hand? Yes it is, you don't have to knock anyone down for it to be an offensive foul. Clearing out is not allowed in the NBA or in college bottom line.

If you are Shaquille O'Neil and that clear out with the arm gives you an easy dunk inside, fine, make the call. But if you are some kid at the top of the key just hoping to get rid of the ball, a charge call makes a mockery of the game, IMHO. And a lot of people agree with me. Lots of writers said they were glad Cal called Duke out like that on Twitter, and were disappointed when he backed off his comments after the game.

#52 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you are Shaquille O'Neil and that clear out with the arm gives you an easy dunk inside, fine, make the call. But if you are some kid at the top of the key just hoping to get rid of the ball, a charge call makes a mockery of the game, IMHO. And a lot of people agree with me. Lots of writers said they were glad Cal called Duke out like that on Twitter, and were disappointed when he backed off his comments after the game.

What you are not getting here is the rule, by rule what he did was a foul, he cleared out. It's not making a mockery of the game because it was the right call. What about when Mason picked up his 4th foul by running out and bumping the ball handler? It didn't effect the play but was called a foul because by rule that contact is not allowed. If you don't like the rules of basketball don't watch, hell you are complaining when the refs made the right call. Rules are rules even if you don't like them.

#53 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

What you are not getting here is the rule, by rule what he did was a foul, he cleared out. It's not making a mockery of the game because it was the right call. What about when Mason picked up his 4th foul by running out and bumping the ball handler? It didn't effect the play but was called a foul because by rule that contact is not allowed. If you don't like the rules of basketball don't watch, hell you are complaining when the refs made the right call. Rules are rules even if you don't like them.

I'm saying if the Duke player doesn't flop on his back, no call is made. It's a sell job and you know it.

#54 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

#55 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I'm saying if the Duke player doesn't flop on his back, no call is made. It's a sell job and you know it.

So a player shouldn't sell it if contact is made to make the ref make a call? Isn't that smart basketball? Happens all the time in basketball and in football. Bottom line did he clear out with his arm? Yes. Is clearing out with your arm a foul? Yes. Did he get called for the foul? Yes. It was the right call, move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com