#31 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,753 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

If there is a new head coach, then there will be no positive momentum to come out of the rest of the season, regardless how the team finishes.

The offense has no where to go but up, but it'll also be starting over in the off season.

The defense has improved, and will continue to improve.

I find that most teams that struggle, never really gains momentum that truly carries over the following season.

#32 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

1) the problem hasn't been running plays from a college playbook. the problem is running a predictable offense. there is no real difference between a "pro-style" (which is nothing more than a name slapped to a limited and traditional style of play) and a college playbook except the college playbook has more plays used.

there is no such thing as a real pro-style offense. pages from college playbooks have been showing up with frequency for years and even the spread offense used by colleges, high schools, and pop-warner teams have been showing up quite often and has even become the base for a lot of the elite offenses in the league.

When I talk about pro-style, it is referring to a base that incorporates 2 TE's or 1 TE and a fullback, with a reasonable balance between pass and run, and featuring at least 40% of plays run under center to set up effective play action. To me, it is important to have a good level of protection for the passing game when you have a young QB, and a good running game to go with it. Sending 4 or 5 guys out on pass patterns every play is fine once the o-line is functioning well and the QB is experienced. But for now, it is counterproductive for us to try to run that type offense.

Every pro team incorporates some of the elements of the type offense Kelly runs, they just don't do it with the frequency you see at the college level.

Maybe Kelly is adaptable and feels comfortable modifying the offense he runs. I'm just not sure we should be the guinea pigs at this point.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

When I talk about pro-style, it is referring to a base that incorporates 2 TE's or 1 TE and a fullback, with a reasonable balance between pass and run, and featuring at least 40% of plays run under center to set up effective play action. To me, it is important to have a good level of protection for the passing game when you have a young QB, and a good running game to go with it. Sending 4 or 5 guys out on pass patterns every play is fine once the o-line is functioning well and the QB is experienced. But for now, it is counterproductive for us to try to run that type offense.

Every pro team incorporates some of the elements of the type offense Kelly runs, they just don't do it with the frequency you see at the college level.

Maybe Kelly is adaptable and feels comfortable modifying the offense he runs. I'm just not sure we should be the guinea pigs at this point.

i think he's more adaptable than people think.

he does what he does because it works and it's easy for his players to grasp and run, but it's still a very big playbook and one he's not afraid of using nor is it one he is unable to get his players to grasp in limited time.

you give him a group of players that he doesn't have to retrain every year or two, who have more time than a college student, who are more mature and more able to grasp and execute more complicated and complex schemes and i think he'd continue to be effective. also, you take away the need for him to recruit every year and you will see him more effective as a coach.

crap....i'm selling myself on this guy just like i did with harbaugh. granted it's a harder sell because of his lack of exp. with the NFL, but you put around him coaches with a lot more exp. in the league and he'll be more than fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com