Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Success of Chip Kelly. The New Old School

121 posts in this topic

Posted

I dont know much about him other than a few articles posted here. Would Kelly take an OC position or straight to HC, no questions asked?

I don't think he comes to the NFL as an OC. He's a pretty hot item ATM. He'll get a HC job off jump street.

Posted

I am not a fan of the option based offense.

I would rather have a NE, NO, or GB type passing attack.

The best person for that would be Kevin Summlin. He has made all his QB's look like All Universe

With that said, id rather have Kelly than Rivera.

Posted

Recently jumped on the Kelly bandwagon (watched the last Oregon game and realized that the jet sweeps and read options are really the only differences between his offense and an NFL offense). He runs a lot of really basic plays that you'd see in ANY offense that has a shotgun package. Also some singleback.

Look at it this way. Cam's playcalling at Auburn is VERY similar to what Kelly does now. Just saying, is all. Cam could pick that poo up quick. And I think Kelly would allow him to actually use ALL of his abilities rather than just one or the other. Also, our runningbacks would FINALLY get a fuging workout on game days.

2 people like this

Posted

Recently jumped on the Kelly bandwagon (watched the last Oregon game and realized that the jet sweeps and read options are really the only differences between his offense and an NFL offense). He runs a lot of really basic plays that you'd see in ANY offense that has a shotgun package. Also some singleback.

Look at it this way. Cam's playcalling at Auburn is VERY similar to what Kelly does now. Just saying, is all. Cam could pick that poo up quick. And I think Kelly would allow him to actually use ALL of his abilities rather than just one or the other. Also, our runningbacks would FINALLY get a fuging workout on game days.

Solid post. People will slowly realize he's the perfect fit.

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh, and speed-lovers....guys like Joe Adams, Gettis, Smitty, Armanti, Pilares, Williams, Stew, Cam.....they would have the ball in their hands often and on any given play. And the utilization of a TE in Kelly's system is BIG (Colt Lyeria, the Ducks TE, has 17 catches for 266 yards with a 48 yard long and 6 TDs. 3rd leading receiver on the team right now...and that's with rotating in 3 or 4 OTHER TEs throughout the season)...and we have one of the best receiving TEs in the league.

Just saying....

1 person likes this

Posted

interesting article

Posted

Personally I don't care where they come from if the can get the job done, I'm just very skeptical about college coaches using us as their test run. If they've coached in the NFL before I feel better about it, but to me Kelly looks to be the proto-typical college coach who runs a gimmick offense that just won't succeed at the NFL level.

I'm borderline on Kelly to be honest.

Some of the pros:

Play Calling Speed would give D's fits.

NFL coaches have high respect for him (Billicheat for one)

He is incredibly intelligent, so one could assume he can adapt.

Cons:

Spread

No NFL experience

SPREAD

Posted

If we hire Chip Kelly became our head coach, is he going to bring his OC to keep running the

same offensive style now, because who ever becomes the next OC he is going to install his

own offense not Chip's. Unless he desides to become the OC and HC.

Posted

No NFL experience

This is the deal breaker for me.

Good chance this guy is a bust.

Posted

I don't even care anymore, how could he be worse than the bull poo we have had at Carolina?

Posted

Do yall not realize that the reason Chip Kelly is having so much success is because he recruits on speed and if your slowest guy on offense is still faster than the fastest guy on defense, you are going to have a ton of success at the college level. Especially against PAC defenses.

I'm not taking anything away from Chip as a coach. He is fantastic. But dont think the second he comes into the NFL that hes gonna have our Offense busting defenses wide open and turning every play into a track meet. NFL defenses are too fast and too disciplined to fail.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm borderline on Kelly to be honest.

Some of the pros:

Play Calling Speed would give D's fits.

NFL coaches have high respect for him (Billicheat for one)

He is incredibly intelligent, so one could assume he can adapt.

Cons:

Spread

No NFL experience

SPREAD

the spread has been spreading to the NFL for years now and has been used as eventhe base offense for a lot of the most prolific and elite offenses in the league.

i'm not worried about that. most of the league will have changed to a spread in a few years. the "pro-style" offense is nothing more than a trend that has been used in the league for a long time, but there is nothing more "pro" than the spread.

the lack NFL experience is the only that concerns me, but if he were surrounded by asst coaches with NFL experience it wouldn't concern me at all.

i think he has the team and game management skills needed to be successful coaching at any level and he has enough intelligence and savvy to know how the game works. he approaches the game in a very cerebral way, but also in a very aggressive way.

imo, he is everything and more that i know i hoped that rivera would be. i'm as sure about this guy as i was about harbaugh. i actually think he could be better.