New Coach Panthers Spread Fail ?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

I been coming around on the Chip Kelly bandwagon for some time now and boy I think he can be a great coach. The reason why is because he is very intelligent and game plans like no one else. I was watching something on him and they asked him why don't he run more pro style plays. His reaction was, if he had the personnel to do so they would be in the power I all game. This let me know that he is able to understand things like that. I think the Panthers will be the best fit for but I don't know if Jerry Richardson will want him.

the system or at least the play selection he uses in oregon he uses not because that's all he can do, but because it's the easiest and most effective for his players to learn in limited time.

given more time and better players we would be seeing a whole lot more.

#42 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Has Kelly had significant NFL experience like Harbaugh and Carroll. If so then he could be a good choice. If not, then we don't need to be his first stop where he learns what to do. We need a proven guy who can run with the tools he has got not experiment and try to figure it out.

i'd rather have a guy with college HC experience over a OC or DC from the pro level without HC experience.

i really don't think that a lack of NFL experience is going to hamper his ability to be effective as a coach at the NFL level. i don't think that's the case for everyone.

the more i've been looking into this guy, the more i've been convinced that he'd be a success at any level.

#43 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

If we hire Chip Kelly became our head coach, is he going to bring his OC to keep running the
same offensive style now, because who ever becomes the next OC he is going to install his
own offense not Chip's. Unless he desides to become the OC and HC.

chip kelly is his own OC. kind of like sean payton and other coaches who handle the playcalling.

he'd have an OC to help implement things in practices and who would work as an advisor or whatever, but i think he'd handle it the way he does in oregon basically because he's smarter than anyone else he would have calling plays.

#44 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationRaleigh NC
HUDDLER

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

the system or at least the play selection he uses in oregon he uses not because that's all he can do, but because it's the easiest and most effective for his players to learn in limited time.

given more time and better players we would be seeing a whole lot more.

I agree.

#45 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

I am intrigued. Not having any NFL experience at all tempers it a great deal though.

To keep it in perspective, the huddle anointed Rivera the next best thing. Now look where we are.

#46 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

I am intrigued. Not having any NFL experience at all tempers it a great deal though.

To keep it in perspective, the huddle anointed Rivera the next best thing. Now look where we are.

i think we tried to sell ourselves on him after we found out what the pool of potential HCs consisted of and then after he was hired.

i know i did.

jim harbaugh was who i wanted more than anyone. i'm finding myself just as much on the chip kelly bandwagon as i was on the harbaugh one.

#47 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

I would love for him to come here, I would donate a testicle to science for it. Period.

#48 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• LocationChina Grove, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Chip Kelly scares the hell out of me...but not in that good roller-coaster kinda way. He scares me in the "this is probably going to explode and take off your arm" kinda way.

I don't feel like we, as a franchise, are in a place where we can absorb bringing in a guy who runs a spread offense with no NFL experience and hope he can make the leap. I expect we're going to take a risk with whoever we hire because I do not expect a big name ex NFL HC to end up here but there are things that can be done to mitigate that risk. Not hiring someone who both runs a college style offense and has no NFL experience are two big things you can do help that mitigation.

Chip Kelly might make someone a great offensive head coach, and if he does good for him and that franchise. If we did bring him in I would do exactly like I did Rivera and find every possibly good thing about him I could find and sell myself on the hire to the best of my ability...he'd have my full support. But he's not the right choice for us right now IMO.

#49 rayzor

rayzor

Moderators

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

people said the same thing about harbaugh last year.

many wanted to go the safer route and get someone with NFL experience...preferably a DC or an OC with or without HC experience, well more without because we don't want any retreads.

we just can't afford to take a risk on a college coach. which would we have rather had? a risky gamble in some college coach from the sucky PAC 10? or the more tried and proven route of promoting a proven and successful DC or OC from the NFL ranks? which would we have rather had jim harbaugh or ron rivera? (not that we had a shot at harbaugh)

many also felt we can't afford to take a chance on a running QB that comes from a spread offense.

#50 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

people said the same thing about harbaugh last year.

many wanted to go the safer route and get someone with NFL experience...preferably a DC or an OC with or without HC experience, well more without because we don't want any retreads.

we just can't afford to take a risk on a college coach. which would we have rather had? a risky gamble in some college coach from the sucky PAC 10? or the more tried and proven route of promoting a proven and successful DC or OC from the NFL ranks? which would we have rather had jim harbaugh or ron rivera? (not that we had a shot at harbaugh)

many also felt we can't afford to take a chance on a running QB that comes from a spread offense.

But you just can't equate Harbaugh and Kelly. Harbaugh spent 16 years in the league and ran a pro style system at Stanford. The level of risk with Jim was way below what it would be with Chip.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Coach, Panthers, Spread Fail ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users