Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm pro choice and always have been, but...

53 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Twelve posts and no Marvin the Martian pics. Disappointed.

Posted · Report post

Hypothetical for our tech advances?

What if we found the "gay gene"

What if people were aborting babies at an extremely high rate when finding their baby would be gay

Would there be "rights" attached to them at that point?

Posted · Report post

Hate abortions wouldn't be allowed.

Posted · Report post

I am anti-abortion and pro choice.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

What if people were aborting babies at an extremely high rate when finding their baby would be gay

I suspect a similar approach to pre-natal gender testing in India- it would be illegal to test for

Posted · Report post

That was the "hypothetical" umbrella

Posted · Report post

Its not really hypothetical, its the exact same situation. Male babies are much more valued, its easy to test for gender (even illegally) and its created a gender gap in India.

Though if they found a gay gene many states would care enough to outlaw abortions because of it. Probably the same states where you can be fired for being gay

Posted · Report post

I would hope that no one would choose to abort over something so trivial.

But I will always believe that the government has no business making that choice for people.

Furthermore trying to give rights to a fetus is nothing more than attempting to codify a set of religious beliefs into law and that's a non starter in my book.

Posted · Report post

I am anti-abortion and pro choice.

Pretty much.

Posted · Report post

But I will always believe that the government has no business making that choice for people.

Furthermore trying to give rights to a fetus is nothing more than attempting to codify a set of religious beliefs into law and that's a non starter in my book.

We codify laws all the time based on what's deemed an appropriate age to do something in particular. Rights to a fetus post second trimester? Rights after a trip out the mom? Has nothing to do whatsoever with religion. People may attempt to express their religous beliefs, but legally there's never any religous equivocation to why something's being done. If that is being done...it's a poorly written law and stupid to begin with.

Posted · Report post

So your response is based on hope?

People do not want a downs syndrome baby, not a problem, don't want a girl baby, not a problem, but don't want a gay or lesbian child and that is trivial? I am sure you have heard of designer babies. I guess if you can engineer what you want, you might as well be able to get rid of what you don't want. We HOPE not.

Posted · Report post

Ah. Lol. Yeah but he was planned. (For a long time.) But if you really want Irony, I'm adopted. I met my Bio mom when I was 20. She burst into tears when she saw me and then told me she'd tried to abort me... Twice.

Why the hell would she tell you she tried to abort your ass twice? How the heck did that come up in the conversation?