Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I often take the unpopular stance

75 posts in this topic

Posted

Need to find his replacement this draft, not cut him. There's not a WR in the draft that's going to come in and take the #1 spot. No Aj Green in this draft. But there are a bunch of guys who could after a year under their belt. Smitty NEEDS slot duty.

Posted

I dont disagree with trading him but we cant move him anywhere until he have some kind of replacement. We have consistently proven that we cant draft and develop a guy into a #1. We must acquire a guy we know can play in FA.

Posted

I dont disagree with trading him but we cant move him anywhere until he have some kind of replacement. We have consistently proven that we cant draft and develop a guy into a #1. We must acquire a guy we know can play in FA.

Someone like Mike Wallace would be nice

Posted

We should trade Smith or force him to retire after this year. Greatest Panther to date....but his time has run its course. He is one of MANY big moves we must start making. We need to move forward....I think as this season progresses that will become more clear. Bash away bc I know the Smitty man love is off the charts.....but his era is over and that era still holding on is one of several big problems IMO.

It's unpopular to to say things like this because we have an emotinoal attatchement to Smitty, a kinship if you will, an a afinity.

However, if I step outside of the emotional attatchement I agree with you. For the greater good of the Panthers team, it would probably be the something to seriously consider in regards to the future of this franchise.

Like many of you I don't ever want to see Smith go, I don't like it, it really is a sad thought. Whether we like it or not, that day is eventually coming. So I suppose we need to ask ourselves, when? When is it a time to have a legitimate discussion? Now?

I'm not sure but if I want to see this team that I love suceed in the future, it's something I am willing to lay on the table for discussion.

Posted

Will be interesting.....Cam being another example.

Most new GMs/coaches in recent history have brought in a new QB within 3 years pending the one they inherited hasn't won a Superbowl. Richardson has claimed Newton is his last.

What if the new coach was to run a NFL spread like Rodgers, Brady or Brees do.....where the emphasis is on spreading it out and carving up teams? Cam won't ever fit that mold.

It's a possibility. A remote one, but a real one.

Pretty sure nobody saw the Jay Cutler trade coming.

Posted

You lost me at Steve Smith. I'm not ready for that poo yet. You can't make me!

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm more of a fan of the "Brand" and not the players. I know players will come and go, especially now that we're deep in the cap era. Whats best for the shield and not for an individual player.

Posted

I think Smith said like 2 years ago he don't mind playing backseat

Hurney failure was not getting a receiver in here all those years

2 people like this

Posted

I think Smith said like 2 years ago he don't mind playing backseat

Hurney failure was not getting a receiver in here all those years

Maybe Smith has something to do with that....

He doesn't mesh with other personalities (Keyshawn) and has largely ignored waves of drafted WRs (Gettis, LaFell, and Edwards) in need of mentoring. Remember our project player responding to a reporter about Smith's help.....saying he got none (then nicely commented that he was sure Smith had plenty on his plate) but Jarrett was quick to help with the learning curve. I mean if you are going to gamble on a guy like Edwards it would be nice of your vet WR took a role in aiding the project instead of relying on DUI Dwyane

Posted

I typically get the, "CRA, you are an idiot" for such thoughts......

I call you an idiot because you make false conclusions to scenerio's where you ignore huge variables. . . that and the fact that you seem to WANT to take the unpopular opinion. Why force it? because the roda less travelled is that much more appealing? Because you feel like conformity is evil?. . that Idk, but I do remember being similar in my college years and sometime after that.

Not so far off from the king daddy, Violentcrez or whatever his name is imo.

Examples of variables I feel that you ignore based on reading your posts for years now:

-impact of leadership

-the psychology of the individual player

-pain

-Athletes' notoriously strong convictions and how they are effected by confidence and fear much more so than the average person.

I really dont bother reading many of your posts these days because Ive just given up trying to explain these things conceptually to you.

edit: I have only one agenda here and in life, "to make better".

Posted

I'm more of a fan of the "Brand" and not the players. I know players will come and go, especially now that we're deep in the cap era. Whats best for the shield and not for an individual player.

Panthers are going on their 18th season, Steve Smith is going on his 12th season. If Smith was traded, I would be upset, but it would not stop me from being a Panther fan. You being a Skins fan, you have had several players come and go, but Smith by far is the best Panther ever to play the game. So to see Smith traded or retire, it will be a sad day for me...

Posted

We threw out the last original Panther John Kasay and look what we got for it, that bastard Olindo Mare.

Steve is still productive, let him retire when he is ready to do so.

2 people like this