• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

I will say this. If Smitty wants to be in the HOF, he better find himself another team. One of the biggest tragedies within this franchise, is that we never capitalized on his talent. If Steve played for a team that had a great QB throughout his career, he would have a 2,000 receiving yard season by now.

#62 rickyisclutch

rickyisclutch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

These days you have to have a 1a and a 1b. Steve can still be that 1b. If you cut/trade him you need to make sure we have his replacement AND another speed guy. Isnt worth it, one step forward and two back.

#63 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

I get where you're coming from CRA, because our biggest problem at WR has been that we have avoided addressing the #2 spot because we have such a potent #1. The theory seems to have been that if we could get a marginal player at the #2 spot they would flourish because of all the attention Smitty commands. But...

What if a new GM was able to properly address our WR core issues without getting rid of Smitty? To me, that would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately it may take losing Smitty to force this team to address the WR position, but I hope not.

#64 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Re-hire Dom Capers as head coach

that would be funny if we did that...

#65 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

so, much for moving foward

#66 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,538 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Draft Cam - before it was cool to say
Draft Luke bc we can't trust Beason and company to all be back
Don't sign all these RBs bc we won't give them touches to justify it
Chud is overrated and nothing like what is being pimped- last season when people wanted him as our HC

I typically get the, "CRA, you are an idiot" for such thoughts......

We should trade Smith or force him to retire after this year. Greatest Panther to date....but his time has run its course. He is one of MANY big moves we must start making. We need to move forward....I think as this season progresses that will become more clear. Bash away bc I know the Smitty man love is off the charts.....but his era is over and that era still holding on is one of several big problems IMO.

As for Cam and Luke I would have to say you were not alone in saying draft them. I was there as well.
As for the RBs, the issue wasn't paying them, the issue was not changing the offense to take advantage of what they do. Based on what we did last year and what we were supposed to do this year which is run more, it actually made sense. Obviously Chud didn't get the memo.

As for Chud, there were those among us who said that he had one good year in Cleveland and then struggled, lets wait until we see what he does before deciding if he is good or bad.

As for Smith, it makes little sense to make someone retire until you have someone better to replace him with. And you don't trade a number 1 receiver for a third or fourth rounder which is all you could get.
So about Smith, you are wrong.

About the other things, don't take credit for being the originator of that train of thought, you weren't. You can take credit for bashing Williams at every turn and saying he was overpaid. If you want to trade someone then trade him, that would at least make a little sense since the dead cap space after this year would only be 6.4 million if I remember correctly.

#67 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I seriously doubt the JR will allow any GM to part ways with Smith. This is Steve Smiths team to leave.

JR fired his sons. He fired Hurney. He let go of Delhomme. If Smith is declining, do you really think he would not allow the GM to do what he thinks best?

I'm not saying moving Smith is best. I am saying if you have a GM, he should be empowered to do whatever is needed.

#68 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,201 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Smith's aggressive attitude is one of his better traits and something this team is severely lacking in.

Steve is willing to take a secondary role and has said a much. Problem is, this organization has never found a consistent replacement for Moose, much less a new #1.

Don't see an upside to getting rid of him till we find at least two, if not three better receivers and that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

#69 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

As for Cam and Luke I would have to say you were not alone in saying draft them. I was there as well.
As for the RBs, the issue wasn't paying them, the issue was not changing the offense to take advantage of what they do. Based on what we did last year and what we were supposed to do this year which is run more, it actually made sense. Obviously Chud didn't get the memo.

As for Chud, there were those among us who said that he had one good year in Cleveland and then struggled, lets wait until we see what he does before deciding if he is good or bad.

As for Smith, it makes little sense to make someone retire until you have someone better to replace him with. And you don't trade a number 1 receiver for a third or fourth rounder which is all you could get.
So about Smith, you are wrong.

About the other things, don't take credit for being the originator of that train of thought, you weren't. You can take credit for bashing Williams at every turn and saying he was overpaid. If you want to trade someone then trade him, that would at least make a little sense since the dead cap space after this year would only be 6.4 million if I remember correctly.

Never implied I was alone in all those....you as well took heat for some of those.

And like many scenarios.....we don't know if I am wrong yet. Like I said in my initial post....I expect the reminder of the season will shine light on my take. Smith will prove why his time is done here.....it isn't about talent. About fit. Like coaches, players can hang around too long.

#70 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Smith's aggressive attitude is one of his better traits and something this team is severely lacking in.

Steve is willing to take a secondary role and has said a much. Problem is, this organization has never found a consistent replacement for Moose, much less a new #1.

Don't see an upside to getting rid of him till we find at least two, if not three better receivers and that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

Double edged sword. Was fine when he was a video game back in the day.....as he ages his attitude will keep him from playing as long as he actually could.

Big picture. Don't need a drama queen pouting and running the media to vent.....that wears a C on his chest. Can tolerate it if a guy is a beast in his prime. New era isn't about 89.....don't care if he claims he will take a reduced role. 89 says a lot things.....behavior doesn't always match.

#71 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,866 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

MORE WILDCAT!!

#72 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,201 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Double edged sword. Was fine when he was a video game back in the day.....as he ages his attitude will keep him from playing as long as he actually could.

Big picture. Don't need a drama queen pouting and running the media to vent.....that wears a C on his chest. Can tolerate it if a guy is a beast in his prime. New era isn't about 89.....don't care if he claims he will take a reduced role. 89 says a lot things.....behavior doesn't always match.

He is definitely a double edged sword. Whether he is here next year or not, I don't think it will make that much difference. This team has a lot more issues than any one player can solve, even Steve.

He may just decide he doesn't want to go through another regime change and retire.

#73 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,309 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

Will be interesting.....Cam being another example.

Most new GMs/coaches in recent history have brought in a new QB within 3 years pending the one they inherited hasn't won a Superbowl. Richardson has claimed Newton is his last.

What if the new coach was to run a NFL spread like Rodgers, Brady or Brees do.....where the emphasis is on spreading it out and carving up teams? Cam won't ever fit that mold.

one part you lost me.. although this year could be solid evidence, last year made me think Cam is completely capable of running an offense despite the time it takes to get the ball out.. scheme vs awareness? not sold it falls on Cam's shoulders yet...

#74 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,279 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

one part you lost me.. although this year could be solid evidence, last year made me think Cam is completely capable of running an offense despite the time it takes to get the ball out.. scheme vs awareness? not sold it falls on Cam's shoulders yet...

Cam can run a pro offense....was just pointing out he wouldn't it if a coach/GM dreamed of running a Packers/Patriots NFL spread.

Cam isn't an ideal fit for everyone.

#75 Tacklez

Tacklez

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

so is this an "I wanna cookie" thread?

Is this one of them stupid ass comments Ive been seeing in every thread recently. If you don't care then why even post come on now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.