99 replies to this topic

#91 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hostess took Union members self funded pensions without their authorization to pay their debts – will not be paid back under bankruptcy

nothing to see here folks. move along. unions bad. management good

#92 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,801 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

That's usually called theft. How can that not be challenged if the comp took their money?

#93 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,324 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Maybe they put IOUs in a Samsonite. As good as money. Took a page from Social Security trust fund management.

#94 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,443 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

http://www.dailykos....Hostess-Bankery

interesting anecdotes... apparently management also stole the unions' self-funded pension contributions.

From your link

Remember how I said I made $48,000 in 2005 and $34,000 last year? I would make $25,000 in 5 years if I took their offer.
It will be hard to replace the job I had, but it will be easy to replace the job they were trying to give me.

If its easy to replace, then take their offer, and start looking for something else, so that in the short time you are looking for a job (since its easy to replace) you will actually have some money coming in. Because some is better than 0.

Maybe they think Obama will bail them out like he did the Auto workers? Doubt it will happen, not enough voters and they are not all in Ohio and other battleground states.

But the unions might be rescued from their own stupidity by one of Romney's fellow evil 1 percenters.

FORTUNE -- Private equity firm Sun Capital Partners wants to buy bankrupt bakery Hostess Brands Inc., Fortune has learned.
The proposal would be to operate Hostess as a going concern, including reopening the shuttered factories and continuing union representation of Hostess workers.

"I think that we could offer a slightly better, more labor-friendly deal than what was on the table last week," says Sun co-CEO Marc Leder, in an interview with Fortune. "We also think that one point the unions have made is that there hasn't been a great amount of reinvestment in the business. We've found that investing new capital into companies like this can be very positive for brand, people and profitability... We would look to invest in newer, more modern, manufacturing assets that would enable the company to become more productive and to innovate."

Leder ran several Romney fundraisers. Of course, by stepping in to save a dying company, he will likely be accused of Vulture capitilism.

#95 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

"let them eat cake"

#96 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

Maybe they put IOUs in a Samsonite. As good as money. Took a page from Social Security trust fund management.

Lamborghini for $250,000. Might wanna hang on to that one.

#97 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

From your link

If its easy to replace, then take their offer, and start looking for something else, so that in the short time you are looking for a job (since its easy to replace) you will actually have some money coming in. Because some is better than 0.

It is very difficult to find the time to apply and interview for jobs when you are already working a full time job, especially if you are working 1st or 3rd shift. Sometimes dedicating yourself to the job search is a better idea.

#98 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

From your link

Maybe they think Obama will bail them out like he did the Auto workers? Doubt it will happen, not enough voters and they are not all in Ohio and other battleground states.

But the unions might be rescued from their own stupidity by one of Romney's fellow evil 1 percenters.

Leder ran several Romney fundraisers. Of course, by stepping in to save a dying company, he will likely be accused of Vulture capitilism.

i think it was more of a turn-of-phrase...

and also... dude, the "ease of replacement" is not the issue here.

Posted Image

#99 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,443 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

It is very difficult to find the time to apply and interview for jobs when you are already working a full time job, especially if you are working 1st or 3rd shift. Sometimes dedicating yourself to the job search is a better idea.

But not as difficult as trying to pay the bills with no money coming in.

I am not necessarily anti union, (although I loathe the teamsters union for purely personal reasons), but when they do something that doesn't seem to be rational, they deserve to be called on it.

#100 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

everybody hates the teamsters except the teamsters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.