Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

The Southern Strategy - The Lee Atwater Interview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
85 replies to this topic

#37 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Knuckleheads.

#38 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

tell me these code words

if they tell you the code words then they can't change on a whim to suit their purposes. this is the way calvin-ball works

#39 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Another dude who didn't read/view the OP.

#40 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

weird how I had only heard the term 'southern strategy' about twice in my life until we elected a black president. Since then I've heard it 23984843587243 times.

Must be a coincidence.

Are you implying it's not a thing, or just that people didn't bring it up until lately?

Cause I heard about it all through high school and college government classes. It's a very pivotal thing in American politics.

http://en.wikipedia....uthern_strategy

#41 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

"The strategy was first adopted under future Republican President Richard Nixon and Republican Senator Barry Goldwater[6] in the late 1960s.[7] The strategy was successful in many regards. It contributed to the electoral realignment of Southern states to the Republican Party, but at the expense of losing more than 90 percent of black voters to the Democratic Party."

This is why it's rich when people say that 90% of black people vote for Democrats because they're racist.

#42 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Atwater says taxes hurt blacks more than whites. He says there ar new euphemisms. And?

Also. You Dred Scotts tell me what I don't know about race relations since you guys are gurus.

#43 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

Administrators

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Are you implying it's not a thing, or just that people didn't bring it up until lately?

Cause I heard about it all through high school and college government classes. It's a very pivotal thing in American politics.

http://en.wikipedia....uthern_strategy

it's gone from an interesting sidebar in electoral history to somehow (?) relevant enough to today's politics somehow to see it mentioned every week.

It can't be just a happy accident.

#44 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

You can look at huddle posts and news feeds on facebook and go ahh. Looks like some robots have gotten their marching orders for the day.
Then the slightest of push back turns them into midde school girls.

#45 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

I've been talking about the southern strategy since people here all started their "Obama is gonna give the *code words* free stuff."

Believe it or not I've never had a Facebook account and i haven't watched tv news/politics since 2004.

#46 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

You can look at huddle posts and news feeds on facebook and go ahh. Looks like some robots have gotten their marching orders for the day.
Then the slightest of push back turns them into midde school girls.

Hey guise what's goin on in this thread?

Posted Image

#47 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

HUDDLER

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

"States Rights", "Forced Busing", "Integration", "Quotas", "Preferential Treatment" "Separate but Equal"

Some of you may not appreciate the importance of context, but just imagine you are you are growing up in the 60's-70's. The Feds are forcing you to move from your beautiful modern neighborhood school that you walk to everyday and instead you will now be bused across town at oh dark thirty in the morning. All because some Democratic Congress passed a law and it is being enforced by some liberal Federal Judge saying you have to be integrated with those knitters on the wrong side of the tracks in their old dirty underfunded school buildings. In some areas of the deep south they even required national guard troops to come in and enforce those laws. Good times!

Now, if you are a politician and tell everyone you support "States Rights" imagine what kind of a warm welcome you would get in a southern white community. Yes, you only said "States Rights", but those two words mean a whole lot more in the right context. It also means you are against busing, racial quotas, preferential treatment and in many minds... uppity black people's struggle for equality. That is how dog whistles and coded language work. Today, many people don't appreciate why "States Rights" resonates so well within the Republican party. Yes I know what your thinking, "States Rights" was also a popular southern term leading up to the Civil War... hmmm, imagine that!

"Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization," Mehlman said at the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

Mehlman's apology to the NAACP at the group's convention in Milwaukee marked the first time a top Republican Party leader has denounced the so-called Southern Strategy employed by Richard Nixon and other Republicans to peel away white voters in what was then the heavily Democratic South. Beginning in the mid-1960s, Republicans encouraged disaffected Southern white voters to vote Republican by blaming pro-civil rights Democrats for racial unrest and other racial problems.

Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman

http://usatoday30.us...RM_Exclude=Juno

#48 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Is anybody disputing the strategy? Like jase said this suddenly has become a lead story?
Lol

What about jim crow strategy?
So the reps went after white voters who were umm what? Gren Party members?

Some of ya'll are dumber than a bag of hammers.