Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The City Of Charlotte is named after a black woman?

93 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='King Taharqa' timestamp='1353167007' post='2002885']

As a native for numerous decades, wonder why this is never discussed.
[/quote]
interesting.

as for why it is never discussed, Charlotte likes to ignore much of its history. They no longer teach of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence either.

everytime I look into the history of Charlotte I find something new and interesting that is largely ignored/unknown to those in the city.

For example, did you know the first publicly supported school in the U.S. Was actually in Charlotte and not Chapel Hill? It was shut down by the king however and never actually made it to the official creation of the U.S. and has been largely lost in history books.

How little Charlotte history remains is sad. We have destroyed so much of the past in the name of parking lots.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Tensor' timestamp='1353168272' post='2002904']
interesting.

as for why it is never discussed, Charlotte likes to ignore much of its history. They no longer teach of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence either.

everytime I look into the history of Charlotte I find something new and interesting that is largely ignored/unknown to those in the city.

For example, did you know the first publicly supported school in the U.S. Was actually in Charlotte and not Chapel Hill? It was shut down by the king however and never actually made it to the official creation of the U.S. and has been largely lost in history books.

How little Charlotte history remains is sad. We have destroyed so much of the past in the name of parking lots.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. Charlotte has a lot of history that is not taught to its residents.

Posted · Report post

There is a lot of history that isn't taught period.

Posted · Report post

anytime you can learn some history is always helpful

Posted · Report post

Agree with pstall. Like I said I didn't know. Good post kt.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Somewhat interesting I must admit, however like mentioned earlier I wouldn't nesisarrily call her "black" so she has some African ancestors, I have Native American Sioux ancestors that far back but I don't see people go around calling a Native American.

Posted · Report post

Dang.. She was 17 :)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1353170457' post='2002931']
anytime you can learn some history is always helpful
[/quote]
Unless it's about the Southern Strategy, then pstall will run in to say you're in idiot for caring.

Posted · Report post

no. for that it was marched out as a hot newsfeed as if that was the plan of the gop in the present. it wasn't.

sorry if you can't see that.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

There quite a few "black" or "Moorish" members of the European royal and aristocratic circles.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='King Taharqa' timestamp='1353167599' post='2002896']

Well thats you, some people care about their history and American history.

[url="http://cypryanwealthunlimited.blogspot.com/2011/06/meet-black-queen-of-britain-and.html"]http://cypryanwealth...ritain-and.html[/url]
[/quote]

No..... Some people like you care about Nothing But the color of someone's skin.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo' timestamp='1353175253' post='2002987']

Unless it's about the Southern Strategy, then pstall will run in to say you're in idiot for caring.
[/quote]

Dagger