Photo
- - - - -

B1G expansion?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Reports coming out today that Maryland and Rutgers are in talks with the Big 10

#2 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,645 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

The ACC without Maryland? Booo...there goes countless easy wins for the rest of the conference.

#3 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,336 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

http://www.washingto...b501_story.html

Here’s what the Big Ten will offer: First, and foremost, lots more money. The Big Ten TV package is already worth far more than the ACC TV package, and it is going to soar even more in 2017 when its primary rights are up for bid again. The ACC just locked into a long-term deal with ESPN that is lucrative but won’t be up again until 2027. That means the potential for growth is far greater in the Big Ten.

#4 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,199 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Terps are gone.

#5 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Rutgers will follow tomorrow.

#6 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,777 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Oh Noes.

#7 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

Rutgers will follow tomorrow.

Then Uconn taking Marylands place in the ACC.

#8 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,645 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Upgrade if Uconn joins. Don't think anyone will legitimately miss Maryland lol.

#9 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Then Uconn taking Marylands place in the ACC.

Apparently the ACC is considering UConn, Louisville, Cinci, and South Florida.

Wonder if the ACC will just go ahead and jump to 16.

Could be more movement on the horizon. If MD is getting out without paying the $50 million, that opens the door for FSU, Clemson, and VT to do the same.

The next few days/weeks could get interesting.

At a minimum, UConn or Louisville will be invited to the ACC and ECU will likely be invited to the BE.

If Louisville and Cinci manage to escape the BE too, I fully expect Boise State and San Diego State to say fug it and go back to the MWC because the BE TV contract will not be worth torpedoing their other sports programs in the Big West.

If all that happens, that may open the door for Charlotte and maybe Old Dominion to join the Big East with ECU.

No matter what happens, the Big East's status as an upper-echelon conference will be gone.

#10 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Apparently the ACC is considering UConn, Louisville, Cinci, and South Florida.

Wonder if the ACC will just go ahead and jump to 16.

Could be more movement on the horizon. If MD is getting out without paying the $50 million, that opens the door for FSU, Clemson, and VT to do the same.

The next few days/weeks could get interesting.

O think the next few weeks & Years will be very quiet non-interesting... just a new ACC team and Big East Team/s

At a minimum, UConn or Louisville will be invited to the ACC and ECU will likely be invited to the BE.

If Louisville and Cinci manage to escape the BE too, I fully expect Boise State and San Diego State to say fug it and go back to the MWC because the BE TV contract will not be worth torpedoing their other sports programs in the Big West.

If all that happens, that may open the door for Charlotte and maybe Old Dominion to join the Big East with ECU.

No matter what happens, the Big East's status as an upper-echelon conference will be gone.

Their status is already gone as they share an auto berth with the other mid major conference in football for 1 automatic qualifies into the new bowl series.

#11 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

As a Maryland alum, I am super excited. Now we will be able to attract some big football talent instead of watching the top Maryland propsects get snatched up year after year by VT and Penn State, leaving us to sift through the three-star leftovers. The last star QB we had couldn't jump ship for the B1G fast enough! Plus now I get to watch my team play my Mom's Alma Mater in Michigan State! Hopefully that will be a fun family tradition for years to come.

In basketball, I'm a little bummed that this will bring an end to the Duke/Maryland rivalry, but it was really one-sided. Duke is much more concerned with the UNC rivalry, and Maryland Basketball has been garbage for the last decade anyway.

#12 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Now we will be able to attract some big football talent

Does this actually happen? Not calling you out or anything I just hear this argument every time a team leaves a conference, but I dont actually know of a team that made a big jump in recruiting and winning after moving to a new conference.

#13 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thought this was interesting.

Posted Image
from this article http://www.grantland...aryland-rutgers

#14 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Does this actually happen? Not calling you out or anything I just hear this argument every time a team leaves a conference, but I dont actually know of a team that made a big jump in recruiting and winning after moving to a new conference.

Texas a&m recruiting have improved

#15 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,777 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I think so. Big 10 is big time football. If we aren't attracting superior out of state talent, at least we can secure our in-state talent. In the graphic you attached, you can see Maryland produces a decent amount of talent, yet UMD gets maybe one 4-star Maryland prospect per year. The rest leave the state.

If you're a 5-star propsect in Maryland now, you will either go to Penn State to play in the B1G, or if you're going to stay in the crap-fest that is ACC football, you'll at least go to a competitive program in VT. If MD is in the B1G, and you can stay local while still playing Big 10 football, of course you're going to stay.

I forsee a huge jump in talent because we will finally be able to keep our stars in house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com