Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The difference between Cam 2011 and Cam 2012...

55 posts in this topic

Posted

You don't have a clue what a scramble is. They aren't talking about moving around to avoid pressure. They are talking about when he drops back, decides not to pass, tucks the ball and runs. That is a scramble. Read options are designed run plays so they don't count.

And stats do tell the whole story, because they are based on fact. The content of them isn't apparent at all times but in terms of how long Cam is holding onto the ball there is no way you can argue that.

That is not what a scramble is. A scramble is moving around to avoid pressure. That's what it always has been. Sorry, but you are dead wrong.

What does Quarterback Scramble Mean?

A tactic a quarterback uses to evade a defense's pass rush. A quarterback scramble occurs when the quarterback leaves the area protected by the offensive line and runs into the other areas of the field. A quarterback can scramble to avoid a sack, extend a play to give the downfield receivers more time to get open, or to attempt to gain yardages. Quarterback scrambles are unpredictable plays, because they tend to be unplanned and have a high risk to the quarterback, since the offensive line is not prepared to block in the new area the quarterback has entered.

http://www.sportingc...k-scramble.aspx

Quarterback Scramble: On a called passing play, when the quarterback runs from the pocket in an attempt to avoid being sacked, giving the receivers more time to get open or attempting to gain positive yards by running himself

http://www.superglos...k_Scramble.html

Like I said, stats don't tell the whole story.

Posted

Fair enough, but in this instance. The 5+ seconds I am mentioning is when he finally decides to run. So this isn't rolling out etc, just when he pulls it down and runs with it.

I feel like are picking on semantics to avoid the fact that Cam takes a long time to make decisions.

Posted

I do think that Cam takes longer than he should to make decisions, but he could get away with it a little bit if he had a solid offensive line. I think that it's fair to say that with how long it takes for him to make decisions -- with how bad our offensive line really is, it does hurt us a little bit. It's something that he will grow out of as he learns the game imo.

Posted

I do think that Cam takes longer than he should to make decisions, but he could get away with it a little bit if he had a solid offensive line. I think that it's fair to say that with how long it takes for him to make decisions -- with how bad our offensive line really is, it does hurt us a little bit. It's something that he will grow out of as he learns the game imo.

Bingo.

It's something he will improve on, but you can't say that he is only 5% responsible for the offenses failures.

Posted

Fair enough, but in this instance. The 5+ seconds I am mentioning is when he finally decides to run. So this isn't rolling out etc, just when he pulls it down and runs with it.

I feel like are picking on semantics to avoid the fact that Cam takes a long time to make decisions.

Well that 5 seconds is good then. Because that means he is trying to stay in the pocket and be a pocket passer instead of trying to turn into someone like Vick was with the Falcons who always ran and couldnt throw at all. Yes on some plays he could decide to run quicker, but he was taught to be a pocket passer first. Also keep in mind he's scrambling too most of the time, because our line sucks, in those 5 seconds while trying to find a receiver.

Posted

Bingo.

It's something he will improve on, but you can't say that he is only 5% responsible for the offenses failures.

It's hard to say its more than 5 when the line, coaches, OC, and Hurney have all led him to regress into what he has been lately.

Posted

Well that 5 seconds is good then. Because that means he is trying to stay in the pocket and be a pocket passer instead of trying to turn into someone like Vick was with the Falcons who always ran and couldnt throw at all. Yes on some plays he could decide to run quicker, but he was taught to be a pocket passer first. Also keep in mind he's scrambling too most of the time, because our line sucks, in those 5 seconds while trying to find a receiver.

Sure, it's not a positive or a negative, but it shows that he is holding onto the ball, in the pocket longer than all but two QBs in the league.

You know what, I can't be bothered with this anymore. Keep believing what you want to believe, even when there is information showing you a more balanced argument.

1 person likes this

Posted

What pocket?

Posted

When your primary receivers all run patterns of which the majority are DOWNFIELD, it takes longer to make the decision and determine whether the receiver is open in his pattern.

1 person likes this

Posted

Loads of fail in this post but I've bolded a complete factual error. On average Cam has 3.52 seconds in the pocket before he is sacked. That is the 11th longest in the league.

That statistic is flawed because though he may have on average more time to throw the ball than most other quarterback's, he averages over 7.9 yards per pass attempt, that means that the coaching staff is calling plays that require too much time to develop. Notice of the top six in this particular category 4 of the 6 are either elite or have all around good offensive line's, the other two have bad offensive lines that are made to look good because they can block on average of 3.5 seconds (Freeman and Newton).

Posted

I'm starting to have some real worries about Cam. The parallels with Vince Young are uncanny. Young came out of Texas with a national championship and almost a Heisman, he was big, he was mobile, and he had an arm from Hell. He had some success his first year out. But he's a backup now in Buffalo. He didn't pan out. Cam benefited from the lockout before the start of last season, teams had little opportunity to prepare for him. That and the NFL's crackdown on hitting benefited everybody on offense in the league. Teams have now had a full year and camp to study him. While sophomore slumps are common among promising QBs, he's not showing improvement. And I question whether he has the maturity to become a true leader, which is what your QB HAS to be. Like many in the league, his antics after scoring a TD are those of a punk, he acts like he's never been there before. I do have hope that things can be turned around, for him and the team. But it's going to be a long hard road!

Posted

I'm starting to have some real worries about Cam. The parallels with Vince Young are uncanny. Young came out of Texas with a national championship and almost a Heisman, he was big, he was mobile, and he had an arm from Hell. He had some success his first year out. But he's a backup now in Buffalo. He didn't pan out. Cam benefited from the lockout before the start of last season, teams had little opportunity to prepare for him. That and the NFL's crackdown on hitting benefited everybody on offense in the league. Teams have now had a full year and camp to study him. While sophomore slumps are common among promising QBs, he's not showing improvement. And I question whether he has the maturity to become a true leader, which is what your QB HAS to be. Like many in the league, his antics after scoring a TD are those of a punk, he acts like he's never been there before. I do have hope that things can be turned around, for him and the team. But it's going to be a long hard road!

What does Newton have to do with a defense giving up 8 points in less than a minute?