Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever Found Money that you didn't know you had?

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Dupe post

Posted

This....

When companies have 3rd party companies administer their bill payments or other financial dealings, they have to turn over unclaimed money to the state. I did the same thig a few years back in NC and they had a couple insurance premiums I'd paid and were held when the wife and I got married and combined our insurance policies. It was about $450.

Now I make it a habit to check for my wife and I both about once a year...

Do these companies cost money to search for you?

Posted

Last year we sold our house, then bought another one in a different state.

We only changed our address for important bill, etc...

We did not alert our old mortgage company that we moved.

Anyway, about a month after we were in our new house, we got a letter from our mortgage company. Thinking it was just another statement, I almost just put it in the shredder. Well I opened it, it was a check for $2400....what was left in our escrow. We had no idea that we were owned that money.

It also had been forwarded twice, so it was a miracle it even made it to our house!

Posted

Was walking down Canal St. in New Smyrna Bch about 13yrs ago when i looked at the row of bushes lining the streets and found. a folded 20$bill. Well i thought "that never happens" and continue walking. Then another 20 in a diff bush!! Well that turned into a mad dash of finding 20$s under cars,motorcycles, flower beds and front porches. In all a total of 400$ in 20s. I guess someone put a stack of money on top their car or motorcycle and drove off scattering it for about a block. I bought a giant bag of the finest surfer herb in the land.

Posted

Occasionally I find a stack of 20's hidden under something in my closet or cabinet. $120 or so. I love when that happens

Posted

Do these companies cost money to search for you?

No, they are run by the state. What happens is this.....

Most utility companies, banks, credit unions, insurance companies- basically anyone you pay money to as a bill or premium- use a third party to adminster their financial dealings. If the third party is not able to deliver a refund check, premium return or an over-charge amount due to you, they have to turn that money over to the unclaimed property part of the state government, otherwise they become liable for it- the last thing they want to do.

Simply google: "unclaimed property North Carolina" or wherever you live. Most of the time the only information the site uses to search is a name and address. If you lived in several different places, you may have to search each individually.

North Carolina:

https://www.nctreasu...es/default.aspx

South Carolina:

http://www.treasurer...EDPROPERTY.aspx

1 person likes this