Keep Pounding

Smith & Wesson 460

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationIn your backyard!!!!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

What did Joe philbin do as an OC

I guess he made sure the team had enough iced Gatorade.

#108 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Names I like:

Mike Zimmer, Brett Bielema, Chip Kelly, Tom Clements, Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan, Andy Reid, Kevin Sumlin

#109 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

Oh God.. NO. Rex Ryan would destroy us forever man.

#110 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

You're probably right. Horrible fit for us right now.

#111 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

This is really starting to bug me. Why do people keep saying "we need a coach with HC experience?" Just because Rivera is a shoddy coach doesn't mean all coordinators and assistants will suddenly be bad HCs.

John Harbaugh? Wasn't a HC prior
Mike Tomlin? Same
Rex Ryan? Same (and contrary to what media will tell you, Rex is a good HC, his team is just untalented; Rex's only issue is he talks too much)
John Fox was not a HC before he came to Carolina and he did great here until like 2007
Lovie Smith? Same as above
Jim Schwartz? Same (though not sure if he is a bad HC or not)
Mike McCarthy? Same
Mike Smith? Same
Sean Payton? Same
Tom Coughlin wasn't a HC before he got to Jax and look how good he was there.
Andy Reid was not a HC before he got to Philly. Was amazing for years there
Fisher wasn't a HC before he got to the Titans
Ken Whisenhunt is the same as above and I still think he's a good HC. Just needs to stop messing around and draft a QB. But his team is always competitive.

No, we don't need to draft an NFL retread. How many of those work out anyway? And tell me, how many ex-NFL HCs are out there that, 1) want to come back and 2) were any good? It's just annoying reading that. There are still plenty of coordinators out there who could be great HCs such as Clements.

But Rob Ryan certainly isn't one of them. IMO he's actually a pretty overrated DC and seems like one of those guys too stubborn for change.

#112 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

I don't want Cowher honestly, but I'm intrigued by a lot of college coaches right now.

#113 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

But gene chizik would be better right?

#114 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,820 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

What Fox did that helped him quite a bit was hire an assistant (Dan Henning) with prior head coaching experience to help him learn the details and nuances of the job. That's one of the big reasons Rivera is failing. There's no one like that on his staff.

We don't need to have a guy with prior head coaching experience in the driver's seat. We just need to have an experienced driver on staff to help him learn what to do.

#115 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,490 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

This is really starting to bug me. Why do people keep saying "we need a coach with HC experience?" Just because Rivera is a shoddy coach doesn't mean all coordinators and assistants will suddenly be bad HCs.

John Harbaugh? Wasn't a HC prior
Mike Tomlin? Same
Rex Ryan? Same (and contrary to what media will tell you, Rex is a good HC, his team is just untalented; Rex's only issue is he talks too much)
John Fox was not a HC before he came to Carolina and he did great here until like 2007
Lovie Smith? Same as above
Jim Schwartz? Same (though not sure if he is a bad HC or not)
Mike McCarthy? Same
Mike Smith? Same
Sean Payton? Same
Tom Coughlin wasn't a HC before he got to Jax and look how good he was there.
Andy Reid was not a HC before he got to Philly. Was amazing for years there
Fisher wasn't a HC before he got to the Titans
Ken Whisenhunt is the same as above and I still think he's a good HC. Just needs to stop messing around and draft a QB. But his team is always competitive.

No, we don't need to draft an NFL retread. How many of those work out anyway? And tell me, how many ex-NFL HCs are out there that, 1) want to come back and 2) were any good? It's just annoying reading that. There are still plenty of coordinators out there who could be great HCs such as Clements.

But Rob Ryan certainly isn't one of them. IMO he's actually a pretty overrated DC and seems like one of those guys too stubborn for change.

You realize Coughlin and a guy you left off the list Belichek are both retreads right?
As well as Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden and Dick Vermeil.

Please go investigate how many recent Super Bowls these coaches have won.

kthanxby

#116 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

You realize Coughlin and a guy you left off the list Belichek are both retreads right?

kthanxby

Alright so that means we have options on both sides of the plate, no big deal but some of the specific suggestions for first timers are ridiculous (*ahem* chizik *cough* *cough* saban)

#117 Verge

Verge

Huddle Troll Legend

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or

Posted Image

#118 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,312 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Bruce Arians
Mike Zimmer
Tom Clements

If we're looking for a retread, Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher.

No Ryan brother assholes or Mike fuging McCoy or college coaches.

#119 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

kthanxby

OK, Belichick is ONE retread out of how many coaches in the NFL right now? Better yet, you tell me. How many retreads actually have been successful in their 2nd run? And besides, Belichick didn't do anything until he got Brady, an all-time great QB. Not saying Belichick isn't great but you don't think it is a bit of a coincidence?

And Gruden, Vermeil, Dungy, Coughlin were all good HCs in their first, second, whatever run. They were not fired because they sucked.

Now, answer my question. How many possible retreads are out there right now who...

1) Were good in their first run like Gruden (and really, Gruden relied on old players in Oakland and didn't do anything outside of 2002 in Tampa), Vermeil, Dungy, Coughlin?

2) Want to coach?

Gruden is the only one who COULD classify. I don't know how long it'll take people here to realize Cowher is done coaching. Dungy is done coaching. So I'm not seeing any other retreads.

Unless you want Reid or the other crappy coaches who will get fired at seasons end.

Just because you were a HC before doesn't mean you'll be good at it again. And if you weren't good the first go around, you probably won't be good the second go around. Belichick proved to be the exception, not the rule.

#120 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,820 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

As to some of the candidates mentioned...

Mike McCoy? No. That's Peyton's offense. Not his.

Want a guy who knows the pro game and knows it well, so none of the college names interest me.

I see Bruce Arians producing some positives out in Colt-land, but I'd have to be talked into that one.

Big "h--l no" to anybody with the last name of 'Ryan'.

Not a fan of Andy Reid, but even if I were I'd say the man needs a year off (and is in a good position to take one).

To Cowher, Gruden and any other retread, no. Ditto anyone from the current staff.

Josh McDaniels? Good grief no! He was lousy before, and the Belichick coaching tree has Dutch Elm Disease.

Could see Perry Fewell getting a look, but he's not my top choice. There are other options I could see getting a look, but not the job.

Pretty much the only guy who piques my interest is Mike Zimmer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.