• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I need someone with knowledge of how the cap works to answer these questions. I'm not endorsing these moves, I'm just curious as to what they would do to the team moving forward.

How feasible would it be to cut/release:

Jordan Gross?

Chris Gamble?

Charles Godfrey?

Jon Beason (injury settlement?)

#2 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,518 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Gross and gamble would save the team money, beason is going to hurt. Dont remember the godfrey deal. Williams will sting a bit as well.

#3 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,933 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

A healthy TD/Kuechly/Beason on the field for the new GM next year will probably be way worth the money.

#4 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Gross: saves 7.7 million
Gamble: saves 6.9 million
Godfrey: 1.4 million cap hit (not completely sure on this one)
Beason: Roughly 12 million cap hit
Williams: 9.6 million cap hit

That's if you designate all of them as pre June 1 cuts and take the hit all in one year, and if Rotoworld's numbers are right which I assume they're pretty accurate....

#5 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Gross: saves 7.7 million
Gamble: saves 6.9 million
Godfrey: 1.4 million cap hit (not completely sure on this one)
Beason: Roughly 12 million cap hit
Williams: 9.6 million cap hit

That's if you designate all of them as pre June 1 cuts and take the hit all in one year, and if Rotoworld's numbers are right which I assume they're pretty accurate....

If this is true, I believe Gross and Gamble are probably gone after this season. Actually, I think Godfrey is gone as well. (Along with Nakamura AND S. Martin)

Dunno WTH we're gonna do with Beason...

#6 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Unless gross retires I would be amazed if he is cut outright. People are looking at him with loss tinted glasses. He is still, flat out, our best lineman in the run game and has given up the least pressure on a per play basis than everyone else. He is the player the players respect and look up to and has hardly missed any football in his entire career. Restructure is what I'm thinking is the right angle to take, if he doesn't want to I would still be pretty baffled/surprised/confused if we cut our best Oline player.

Beason is not going anywhere. Look at the way TD plays the outside position. Beason can be that same level of play maker that he is if he wants to.

Gamble... Again, you would be cutting the best player in our secondary by quite some margin.

I'm all for smart ways to save cap space, but cutting two of your best players is a huge risk.

#7 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

I think there will be a come to Jesus meeting with some of these contracts

#8 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

Williams/Beason will be restructured.

I could see Gamble released no doubt.

Gross is interesting.
He is part of the old "Get'em next time" locker room.
He is trending downward and quickly.
A move to RT might extend his career, but 1) how would be perform there and 2) that's a ton to pay a RT and 3) Bell is horrible at RG.

If we can draft a stud LT (Jockel? from A&M) I could see him being released.

That would put us under the cap, just cutting Gamble and Gross.

Williams will be less likely to listen to reason than Beason on a major restructure IMO.

#9 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

The new GM will pull up the team record over the past few years in front of these highly paid players and ask them what their true interests are. If they want to be a Panther they will restructure, if not, the GM will make it very clear that they will no longer be needed here in Charlotte.

#10 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

The new GM will pull up the team record over the past few years in front of these highly paid players and ask them what their true interests are. If they want to be a Panther they will restructure, if not, the GM will make it very clear that they will no longer be needed here in Charlotte.

Which is what should have happened in 2010.

#11 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Which is what should have happened in 2010.

Hurney Magic?

#12 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Much like the Plague, the losing mentality needs to be contained, so I would figure out who needs to go, and give em' the boot.

#13 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,566 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hurney Magic?

Like many I was so caught up in the excitement that ANYTHING was happening to realize we were murdering our future.

#14 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Williams/Beason will be restructured.

I could see Gamble released no doubt.

Gross is interesting.
He is part of the old "Get'em next time" locker room.
He is trending downward and quickly.
A move to RT might extend his career, but 1) how would be perform there and 2) that's a ton to pay a RT and 3) Bell is horrible at RG.

If we can draft a stud LT (Jockel? from A&M) I could see him being released.

That would put us under the cap, just cutting Gamble and Gross.

Williams will be less likely to listen to reason than Beason on a major restructure IMO.

The problem with restructuring Beason or Williams is that their signing bonuses are still so high and the remaining bonus when you restructure accelerates. So we'll be on the hook for the old bonus, as well as any new bonuses in their contract.....

#15 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Unless gross retires I would be amazed if he is cut outright. People are looking at him with loss tinted glasses. He is still, flat out, our best lineman in the run game and has given up the least pressure on a per play basis than everyone else. He is the player the players respect and look up to and has hardly missed any football in his entire career. Restructure is what I'm thinking is the right angle to take, if he doesn't want to I would still be pretty baffled/surprised/confused if we cut our best Oline player.

Beason is not going anywhere. Look at the way TD plays the outside position. Beason can be that same level of play maker that he is if he wants to.

Gamble... Again, you would be cutting the best player in our secondary by quite some margin.

I'm all for smart ways to save cap space, but cutting two of your best players is a huge risk.

Your post had me nodding my head and nearly agreeing until I got to the last part: "Huge Risk"

This team has 10 wins out of thier last 42 games. The "Huge Risk" is staying with the status quo and continuing to pay players that have been a part of this disaster.

This franchise will not move forward until they can part with thier past. Unfortunately, that means parting with guys like Gross and Gamble who have made an impact with this team over the years.

I do agree with you about Beason, however I don't think you can justify paying him the amount he is owed after two season ending injuries. it just doesn't make sense. I really hope they can restructure him and he can return to being the player that everyone knows he is capable of, however if he can't; this franchise can't afford him receiving the amount he is owed while that money could be used elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com