Photo
- - - - -

NH House votes down gay marriage bill because of religious liberty protection clause

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#1 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,485 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

http://washingtontim...its-snag-in-nh/

After a yearlong string of victories nationwide, the campaign for gay marriage hit an unexpected snag Wednesday when the New Hampshire House rejected a bill that also included legal protections for religious institutions.

The House voted down the legislation 188-186, shortly after the Senate approved the bill 14-10 on a party-line vote. Both Democrat-led chambers had approved a same-sex marriage bill and sent it earlier this month to the governor for his signature.

But Gov. John Lynch sent it back, asking the legislature to include language that would protect churches and other religious institutions from prosecution if, for example, they refuse to perform same-sex marriages.
"If the legislature passes this language, I will sign the same-sex marriage bill into law. If the legislature doesn't pass these provisions, I will veto it," Mr. Lynch, a Democrat, said in his May 15 statement.

Despite the vote, the same-sex marriage issue remains in play in New Hampshire. The Senate's passage means the legislation now goes back to a conference committee, where lawmakers will attempt to resolve differences between the two chambers.

#2 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

Shame that provisions like this have to be put into a bill.

But how can anyone be AGAINST these provisions Lynch put forth...unless your intent is to destroy religous institutions that do not succumb to the homosexual agenda.

#3 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

SUCComb....lol u are teh funnay

#4 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

Shame that provisions like this have to be put into a bill.

But how can anyone be AGAINST these provisions Lynch put forth...unless your intent is to destroy religous institutions that do not succumb to the homosexual agenda.

Just to clarify, you are ok with churches not marrying interracial couples?

#5 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

Itz Teh INTERRACIAL AGENDAZ they are pushing down our throat!

#6 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,485 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

My wife and I had several pastors turn us down to marry us for a fundamental religious reason.

While we were disappointed, we would never dream of thinking it's right to have the state force them to marry us.

#7 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

Just to clarify, you are ok with churches not marrying interracial couples?

Like orthodox jews?

Most protestant churches do not have teachings against interracial marriages.

I don't put the two in the same boat. What you screw isn't a civil protected right....yet.

#8 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

Like orthodox jews?

Most protestant churches do not have teachings against interracial marriages.

I don't put the two in the same boat. What you screw isn't a civil protected right....yet.

Not seeing an answer here.

Are you ok with any church of any religion refusing to marry interracial couples if it is their belief system not to.

#9 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

My wife and I had several pastors turn us down to marry us for a fundamental religious reason.

While we were disappointed, we would never dream of thinking it's right to have the state force them to marry us.

That would make you level-headed and willing to compromise....and I don't even know the details in which you were turned down.

#10 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

not smart to wear assless leather chaps to the consults.

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

Not seeing an answer here.

Are you ok with any church of any religion refusing to marry interracial couples if it is their belief system not to.

Are you saying you're against this provision that Gov. Lynch wants in there?

#12 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Why are you avoiding the question? Answer mine then I will explain my stance fully.

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

I think I make a statement that was intended to root out all dissenters of the provision before you started your strawman argument. I've responded.

#14 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

there are a lot of churches who want to be able to marry teh gheys but cannot legally. if the state is going to be involved in marriage then it has to be inclusive. the state should have nothing to do with this, it should be up to the churches especially since the biggest talking point against gay marriage uses the fact that marriage and civil union are effectively the same thing.

#15 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

OK, so you don't want to answer.

My stance is any religious institution should be able to deny marriage to anyone that their particular religion prohibits marrying. But, in doing so, churches should lose their tax exempt status because clearly they are not interested in serving all of the community.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com