- - - - -

Ugly personnel decisions on the way

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#46 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

If it could be done I would have no problem blowing this whole team up and starting from scratch with all new players, coaches, training staff and front office. What good times did we have as a team in the last several years, that make any of these guys irreplaceable ? I say do what needs to be done as a five year plan to get us to the NFC championship personalities be damned.

#47 panfan32

panfan32

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, North Carolina

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

You have no idea how the cap works do you? Beason and Deangelo carry HUGE cap hits if you cut/trade them....

Yeah yeah yeah guaranteed money and all that. blah blah blah.... The funds that I threw up were an attempt ot show how stupid the GM was. DWll hit is due to the time of his contract (remaining time). Sam thing with Beason who signed his extension the same year as Dwill new contract. So yes I do know how it works very much so. But there are ways around these things and ways to stretch the hit out a little bit.

#48 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,730 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

whoever comes in is gonna have to find a masterful way to ease some of these guys out who we can't afford to trade by using the talents they do have and drafting guys specifically to replace them at the time of their projected departure. i expect one or two cuts (and maybe a little bit of restructuring) but we'll probably be making one or two key free agency signings and betting on a solid draft.

truth be told if we have a competent coaching staff next season those changes should easily be enough to make us competitive right off the bat, and the following season we'll be able to really start molding and tailoring the way we want this team's personnel dynamic to look.

#49 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,730 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

we are two starting-caliber offensive linemen away from competency on offense and two extra defensive players from competency on defense. toss in coordinators and coaches that can motivate, lead, and manage games worth half a poo and we'll look damn good next year.

hurney has left a legacy of problems for sure but we are far from hamstrung.

#50 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Tough to make trades when the rest of the league knows you have cap problems.

#51 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,312 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Maybe the NFL will forgive some of our cap hits next year since we still paint the NFL shield at midfield in BofA. Loyalty pays?

#52 Monday Night Shyamalan

Monday Night Shyamalan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationHollyweird, CA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

think about what you are saying.

You are suggesting that the Panthers move an All-pro MLB to WLB in favor of a rookie? Now yes the rookie has played well, but he's not Beason.

I think we can all agree Beason came back too soon this season and ended up costing himself this season because of that. Next season I don't believe that to be the case

I don't know, I have to disagree with that statement.

I love Beason as much as the next guy, one of my all-time Panther favorites. However, I think we have the next Urlacher on our hands, something really special that will be a force for years. He is leading all rookies in tackles and looks very comfortable in the MLB position, why damper his progression and put in an aging vet? Unless Beason seriously restructures his contract, moves to the outside, or just takes a leadership role, I think we should pay our respects and let him catch on with another team. Always hate to see a guy like Beason go but it's for the better...

#53 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,758 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Let Andy go and keep Beast. Beast is a better LB and well worth the money when he comes back fully recovered next season.

#54 xclr82xtc

xclr82xtc

Battle of the Cats Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

there is alot of players that wont be here. clausen, d-will, beason, gross, munnrlyn, naka, adams, pilares, a edwards...

..hope we get some good picks...

#55 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Let Andy go and keep Beast. Beast is a better LB and well worth the money when he comes back fully recovered next season.

Yea, cant part just yet with Beason...He brings a great attitude to the D plus an incredible work ethic...We knew it was going to take 2 season for him to heal.... plus how long did we wait on TD...

#56 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,758 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yea, cant part just yet with Beason...He brings a great attitude to the D plus an incredible work ethic...We knew it was going to take 2 season for him to heal.... plus how long did we wait on TD...

Exactly. He needs to restructure, but I don't think it's time to part ways with him just yet. He is like TD: Far too talented when healthy to let him go until we're sure he's absolutely done for.

#57 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,299 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

that is more of the same.....

our leaders are Gross, Smith, Gamble, etc......and everyone talks about how leadership in Carolina had be horrible. Front office guys. Coaches. etc.

We need to be gutted of the Fox era boys. If you played in a NFCCG with Fox......it is time to go.

So we should get rid of Fox era players and start from stratch, I disagree. I think that we should build on the good players that we have. It would make no sense to dump productive players. What we need is a coaching staff that can coach, build our identity around the players we have. If we dump our best players, we would be worst off because we'd have to get them were we already are, then we'd still need what we need right now...Coaching

#58 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Beason/D-Will/Gross all need to either be restructured or released. I love all three but them being overpaid handicaps the team.

#59 ok2h8pep

ok2h8pep

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Look hers my list of players that you will see leave this off season.

Dwill HB $8.7M
Gamble CB $9.75M
Murphy WR $1.26M
Clausen QB $815K
Brokel FB/TE $465K
A Edwards WR $668K
Munnerlyn CB $1.323M
Martin FS $850K
Beason LB $5.50M I dont see him staying or wanting to stay if Luke stays MLB
Gross OT $11.5M Will be cut or they attempt to redue his contract $11.5 this season
Hartsock TE $1.040M

Thats almost $42M off the cap that we can do without. Due to age or skills or the fact we do noit need 3 QB's, 4-5 TE's and so on

Unfortunately you have to look at the net impact to the cap and that usually means you will only come out ahead on players going into the last year or two of a big contract. It does no good to waive or trade someone like Beason because his remaining bonus is greater than his 2013 salary + 2013 bonus. The hit to the 2013 cap is lower if we keep him. We can ask a player to restructure but that's up to the player. Unfortunately Hurney locked up several players who fall into this category so the new GM does not have much wiggle room.

It's been a while since I looked but I think the only three salaries that looked like no brainers were Gross, Gamble and Ron Edwards. I think we could free up something like 12 million between those three players if we outright release them. There are some special rules regarding release dates, IR contract rules and some other things that might be to our advantage but I think if you want real chunks of cap room you will have to look at those three players.

I'm only looking at this from a numbers perspective. This is not a comment on the talent of those players.

I do remember last spring seeing that we were paying Lee Ziemba something close to $1M for 2012 and I could not figure out how a 7th round pick managed to get a contract like that.

#60 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

the same people calling for all these players to be cut/traded or whatever.................

will be the same ones saying we have no leadership next season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com