Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple questions about some of the reffereeing yesterday

24 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

First off, I am not blaming the refs for our loss. Just a couple of things confused me and I am hoping someone can shed some light on a couple things.

I have had a little trouble finding out the answer to two questions:

1) How do you pick up a flag for holding?? That seems like something that isn't really up for interpretation. Either someone held or they didn't. I guess my question is, is there a way that a hold suddenly becomes not a hold?

2) When Martin fumbled in the end zone shouldn't have Tampa had to challenge that?? The new rule, as I understand it, is that all scoring plays are reviewed by the officials. However, on that play it wasn't a scoring play. It was a fumble that was recovered by Carolina for a touchback. So my question is, shouldn't have Tampa had to throw the red flag in order to review that play, and since the play was upheld shouldn't they have lost a timeout??

Can someone explain these to me? Am I missing something that I should know about?

Posted · Report post

Aren't turnovers reviewed now? I could be wrong
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Number 2:

All turnovers are reviewed as well.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I had the same question about the holding penalty that was picked up. I can come up with no justification as to why you pick that up.

If you saw it, you saw it... and I'm pretty sure that it was the referee that threw that flag, not the back or side judge...

Overall the officiating has been poor this season and not just in our opponents favor, and not just in our games...

I believe that the Martin play was in fact a TD and the official got it wrong, but there wasn't enough video evidence to change it. idk why it was reviewed... did Tampa not throw the red flag?

Posted · Report post

I think you guys are right that all turnovers are automatically reviewed this season. That explains #2.

#1 still baffles me though

Posted · Report post

I get TD's hit bring flagged (don't agree with if as the WR was ducking his head down) but I don't get how they ruled it a catch, unless they didn't want to hurt that guys feelings for getting hurt AND dropping the ball.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

It's not an issue since there are union officials in there.

I'm baffled at the clock controller in some of these games. (SNF last night to be specific). There were other games where I was baffled the clock wasn't running.

Posted · Report post

I told my Dad as we were sitting in the stadium. Had Doug Martin's run gone for 2 yards, the hold would have been enforced. The fact that he broke it off for 20+, gave the officials a reason to put the flag back in thier pockets.

To be fair though, we very much recouped that penalty with the fumble that wasn't in the end zone.

Posted · Report post

I never got to see the holding but I actually like that they chat about it and get it right. The refs make pretty split decision calls and sometimes the flag simply comes out and it should not have.

Holding is not binary by the way. There is some degree of holding on practically every play. It's judgment of the refs often. Kind of like pass interference. Plenty of times where it could go either way.

Posted · Report post

The fumble seemed like a TD to me at the stadium.

Posted · Report post

Oh and here is another observation from the game. The down and distance on the big screen was wrong at least 5 times that I could see (but correct on the side ribbon screens). Seems like something pretty easy to get right.

And another thing. The topcats had way to much cloth yesterday.

[/oldmanrant]

Posted · Report post

yea the holding call they picked up was bs, as well as the thomas davis play, the fact they rewarded him with the catch. the penalty wasnt that bad, he did launch himself into him.