23 replies to this topic

#1 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

First off, I am not blaming the refs for our loss. Just a couple of things confused me and I am hoping someone can shed some light on a couple things.

I have had a little trouble finding out the answer to two questions:

1) How do you pick up a flag for holding?? That seems like something that isn't really up for interpretation. Either someone held or they didn't. I guess my question is, is there a way that a hold suddenly becomes not a hold?

2) When Martin fumbled in the end zone shouldn't have Tampa had to challenge that?? The new rule, as I understand it, is that all scoring plays are reviewed by the officials. However, on that play it wasn't a scoring play. It was a fumble that was recovered by Carolina for a touchback. So my question is, shouldn't have Tampa had to throw the red flag in order to review that play, and since the play was upheld shouldn't they have lost a timeout??

Can someone explain these to me? Am I missing something that I should know about?

#2 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Aren't turnovers reviewed now? I could be wrong

#3 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Number 2:

All turnovers are reviewed as well.

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,608 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I had the same question about the holding penalty that was picked up. I can come up with no justification as to why you pick that up.

If you saw it, you saw it... and I'm pretty sure that it was the referee that threw that flag, not the back or side judge...

Overall the officiating has been poor this season and not just in our opponents favor, and not just in our games...

I believe that the Martin play was in fact a TD and the official got it wrong, but there wasn't enough video evidence to change it. idk why it was reviewed... did Tampa not throw the red flag?

#5 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

I think you guys are right that all turnovers are automatically reviewed this season. That explains #2.

#1 still baffles me though

#6 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

• HUDDLER
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

I get TD's hit bring flagged (don't agree with if as the WR was ducking his head down) but I don't get how they ruled it a catch, unless they didn't want to hurt that guys feelings for getting hurt AND dropping the ball.

#7 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,146 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

It's not an issue since there are union officials in there.

I'm baffled at the clock controller in some of these games. (SNF last night to be specific). There were other games where I was baffled the clock wasn't running.

#8 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

I told my Dad as we were sitting in the stadium. Had Doug Martin's run gone for 2 yards, the hold would have been enforced. The fact that he broke it off for 20+, gave the officials a reason to put the flag back in thier pockets.

To be fair though, we very much recouped that penalty with the fumble that wasn't in the end zone.

#9 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,614 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

I never got to see the holding but I actually like that they chat about it and get it right. The refs make pretty split decision calls and sometimes the flag simply comes out and it should not have.

Holding is not binary by the way. There is some degree of holding on practically every play. It's judgment of the refs often. Kind of like pass interference. Plenty of times where it could go either way.

#10 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,614 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

The fumble seemed like a TD to me at the stadium.

#11 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,614 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Oh and here is another observation from the game. The down and distance on the big screen was wrong at least 5 times that I could see (but correct on the side ribbon screens). Seems like something pretty easy to get right.

And another thing. The topcats had way to much cloth yesterday.

[/oldmanrant]

#12 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,850 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

yea the holding call they picked up was bs, as well as the thomas davis play, the fact they rewarded him with the catch. the penalty wasnt that bad, he did launch himself into him.

#13 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

A good example of a holding call that would get waved off would be a case where a player falls down while being actively blocked. From one angle it could appear that he was pulled down while another might reveal that the O-Linemen didn't do anything wrong, the Def player just fell.

In our case it looked more like our guy was hamming it up a bit to make a borderline block look like a hold. What I saw on the replay would have been a pretty ticky-tak holding call.

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,146 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

and for the record...I believe Doug Martin scored too.

#15 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Officiating*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.