66 replies to this topic

#1 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

I'm thinking it's time I buy a truck.

I'm looking for a full size, 4X4 and pretty much I'm open to suggestions and need to do some homework!

What have you got and why would you recommend it....and why would you buy something different if you could??

cheers

#2 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

First vehicle was a 1990 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat. Bought it for $500 on Craigslist and she was incredible. Oh the virginities that were lost in that beast.

Posted Image

Love the new GMCs though and hear good things. What will you be using it for though? Do you need a big truck or just a half ton?

#3 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

meant to add that....just a half ton will be plenty for me. I'm working in Calgary...which is a three hour drive from home, so I do that drive every Sunday night or Monday morning and then return Thursday night or Friday...this time of year, that drive can be really shitty. Took me nearly 6 hours last week with all the snow and ice etc.

I also have a 20 foot ski boat and a couple of utility trailers to haul and then for general work around the acreage.

gas mileage will be a concern...minor concern I suppose.

#4 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• HUDDLER
  • 5,342 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

meant to add that....just a half ton will be plenty for me. I'm working in Calgary...which is a three hour drive from home, so I do that drive every Sunday night or Monday morning and then return Thursday night or Friday...this time of year, that drive can be really shitty. Took me nearly 6 hours last week with all the snow and ice etc.

I also have a 20 foot ski boat and a couple of utility trailers to haul and then for general work around the acreage.

gas mileage will be a concern...minor concern I suppose.

Well then in my opinion you really can't go wrong with a Silverado or a Sierra 1500. Gas mileage is going to suck any way you slice it. However I'm pretty sure the hybrids get almost 25 highway which is pretty damn good for a v8.

#5 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,407 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

don't get a shitty ford. If you get a Ford, go like '97 or earlier.

I drive a Silverado 2500 extended Cab. It's big and it's bad

gas mileage is horrible though. I spend like $100 to fill it up and it only lasts about a week

#6 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I like my dodge. Ten years old runs great good work truck. I loved my chevy Blazer but i gave it to my kid. Had a Ford Ranger 4/4 that i liked as well.

#7 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• HUDDLER
  • 5,342 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

gas mileage is horrible though. I spend like $100 to fill it up and it only lasts about a week

Agreed, the last good ford model was the 1997. My buddy used to have a 1997 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel. Thing was beast. After that they are teh fail though.

#8 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

If Fords are shitty, why were they the only American Auto manufacturer to not need a bail out?

Getting back on topic, how new of a truck do you want?

#9 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Get you a Chevy Avalanche like mine...

Pack it to the gills with stuff you might need if the SHTF...

Win...

#10 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

newer than an 88!!!

I'm thinking just a couple of years old. I don't want to pay for brand new so I'm happy to let someone else eat the crap out of the day one drop in value!!!

I'm looking for 2008 and newer I think right now. I haven't done any homework, but so far I really like the newer Dodge 1500's, and I've never really been a Dodge fan

#11 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 31,483 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

You'll get a thousand different opinions... I know people that love Fords and people that hate them... same for every model.

If I was getting a truck, I'd get a pre-'97 Ford with the straight six, or a 90's model Chevy with a V8.

So, so many choices... crew cab, extended cab, short wheelbase, long wheelbase, etc., etc...

#12 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,260 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

I love my Toyota Tundra.

4 doors leather and power with Toyota quality

#13 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

I wouldn't get a Dodge if it were me... I'd stick with something Chevrolet... or a Ford Raptor (even though I'm not a fan of Ford parts, they won with this truck)...

#14 Guest_Super_Freak_*

Guest_Super_Freak_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

My brother's chevy is a monster. He goes all out when he buys a truck.

Looks like this but tricked out and lifted. lol i buy my trucks for work, he buys his for looks.

Posted Image

#15 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 17,882 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I love my Nissan Titan. Used to own an F150. The Titan is by far the favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.