Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Opinion on the Target, WalMart, (Other Bigbox Retailer Here) Thanksgiving Protests

142 posts in this topic

Posted

but isn't that a good thing? why is networking and organizing a bad thing? i don't really see the problem with petitions

also i don't know if i'd call, say, employees who don't walk out or strike or whatever "brainwashed." if you work at walmart you're probably a wage slave already and it's not easy to leverage your labor against the waltons when you depend on your paycheck to survive

Well, as I said, I have mixed emotions about it. The bitter part seems much more obvious though because of angst against the system and as I've said, in my own experience, I would've just walked out if I had a problem with it.

It's for a good cause. They shouldn't be working on holidays and they shouldn't be forced out of those jobs if they need it.

Because you're right, a lot of them aren't "brainwashed" per se, it's quite likely that they do actually need the job. But, I also get angry in that instance for people allowing companies like that to gain that leverage over them. My bigger problem is with our system as a whole, and retailers are right at the center of it. But, I'm also irritated that the employees have allowed themselves into such positions of need that their individual rights aren't respected.

Posted

I worked in retail for almost 8 years. I worked almost every weekend and every holiday. I missed pretty much every football game. I knew I can be easily replaced so I worked my ass off and never complained. On every interview before manager offers you a position, he always asks if you ok working on holiday and weekends. 99% say yes... And now they complaining... So I'm an accountant, should I bitch and moan about working 80 hours a week during budgets while I'm on salary? No... Absolutely not. That was communicated to me on a day of my hiring and I accepted the position. You rip what you saw. You accepted the job, now suck it up and work.

Posted

This is why i'm self employed : )

Well, that and the background checks.. BUT STILL!

Posted

Thanksgiving is just another day. You don't have to spend time with your family on that particular day....it can be done anytime.

When you sat down in that little cafeteria at Target and filled out that application to get a red shirt, you knew you were going to work on Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.

Posted

I work in the airlines industry I knew when I took this job I would work major holidays.

Posted

I had to work Thanksgiving Day until 2pm and all day Christmas Eve as a Produce clerk at Lowes Foods for several years. I also worked every Sunday 1pm-7pm so I missed all the football games except Sunday/Monday night (never Panthers, of course).

Now that I have a desk job for a big company I get those days off, but I have more responsibility than just shining apples.

I know it sucks, but you should know what you're getting into with retail jobs.

Posted

Thank you biotech and research....for delivering me from this crap.

Posted

Thank you biotech and research....for delivering me from this crap.

I tho u said biotc4 and research... lolol

Posted

I worked at Starbucks on black friday, I had to make sure everyone had their coffee before all big retail stores opened. I did not bitch and seen it as part of my job. People want to work office hours at retail positions? That's not how this works...

starbucks gives you a living wage and benefits, walmart does not.

Posted

I think there should be a few days each year where employees should be required to have the day off (except for emergency personnel and other positions that cannot be abandoned). The U.S. has ZERO mandated days off. We're pretty much the only developed country like this.

I think it is a net benefit to society to give people a few days off (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July?) to spend time with their families and friends.

I worked Black Friday a couple times. The last time I worked it I worked from 3am to 11PM. It sucked, but at least I was paid commission, so I made about $1000 that day. That made it tolerable, but working at a place like Walmart or Best Buy would be awful. $8/hr to deal with angry people is not worth it.

Posted

starbucks gives you a living wage and benefits, walmart does not.

Living wage? I was making $7.50/hr and my friend at walmart was making $12/hr doing almost the same thing... Lol

Posted

Living wage? I was making $7.50/hr and my friend at walmart was making $12/hr doing almost the same thing... Lol

well then he had it good... most walmart employees make min. wage and get no benefits.

you get benefits at starbucks?