• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

My son is 3, so I've really had to curb my language lately. The last thing I need is for him to go to his Methodist preschool and drop the f bomb.

#12 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

and then they have to go to work and make a living. we just teach our kids to be yourself and speak your mind but be appropriate. have a bit of decorum.
but we dont play word police but we do make sure they know the impact of words.

#13 -13 Amp-

-13 Amp-

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationShelby, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

profanity is a matter of superstition, the idea that there are certain sequences of sounds, which if said, will make people very uncomfortable for reasons that they cannot explain...

and whats worse is some wanna say its the meaning of the word, but are ok with words like "crap", "doo doo", and words like that which have the exact same meaning as "s-h-i-t" but i guess they want it in some form of baby talk...

words are words, stop buying into the superstition of profanity, matter of fact the "bad words" of last centery aren't even the same bad words today, so we can't even agree on whats bad and whats not, it constantly changes...

#14 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

swear words are cultural and linguistic relatives, not absolutes. there is nothing intrinsic about a compilation of morphemes that gives it meaning; only context. religious people don't get this and that's why you get this traditional cultural sense of swearing being something you do if you're not a christian. real christians would never swear.

stupid. it's all a relative societal construct.

that said you have to teach your kids about being responsible and know when something is appropriate and when it's not. saying s h i t around your homies =/= saying it in front of grandma.

#15 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

I Don't Want To Get Off On A Rant Here But....

HUDDLER

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

In other words, basic common sense and respect for those around you.

#16 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

HUDDLER

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

swear words are cultural and linguistic relatives, not absolutes. there is nothing intrinsic about a compilation of morphemes that gives it meaning; only context. religious people don't get this and that's why you get this traditional cultural sense of swearing being something you do if you're not a christian. real christians would never swear.

stupid. it's all a relative societal construct.

that said you have to teach your kids about being responsible and know when something is appropriate and when it's not. saying s h i t around your homies =/= saying it in front of grandma.

I disagree with your last statement...

I think "Grandma, this cornbread is the sh1t!" is an acceptable compliment.

#17 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• LocationSydney, Australia
HUDDLER

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

LOL welcome to generation X, dont take life so serious and get use to it.

Shelter your daughter that badly and when she gets into college she'll be partying hard and doing more with dick than just saying it.

I laughed at this. But it is true. Those sheltered girls are the ones that get slutty drunk 3+ times a week.

#18 Jeff L

Jeff L

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

My two older boys are 21 and 18 and I don't let them cuss around me. My 21 year old Is pretty good about not doing it but my 18 year old has a potty mouth. Incidentally, he is the one that has been in trouble with the law and smokes pot four days a week. Coinicidence? Probably not.

I am 44 years old and don't cuss in front of my parents or in-laws... I respect them to much to do so.

#19 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

HUDDLER

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I feel trashy and feel like I'm being disrespectful to others if I use inappropriate language. There are more creative words to use rather than speaking with rotten language

I was raised in a house where my own parents used the worst language around anyone. We were permitted to speak however we wished but even from a very early age I didn't care for those words. My brother's first words were F you M'effer. I tend to use filtered language, I'll use abbreviations and substitutes. Everyone is titled to their own opinion and I don't tend to judge one way or another because its not my job.
I don't shelter my kid, I teach her appropriate names for body parts. In our house the word Dick is a man's name, not a part of the body.

#20 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• LocationSouthern California
HUDDLER

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

My two older boys are 21 and 18 and I don't let them cuss around me. My 21 year old Is pretty good about not doing it but my 18 year old has a potty mouth. Incidentally, he is the one that has been in trouble with the law and smokes pot four days a week. Coinicidence? Probably not.

I am 44 years old and don't cuss in front of my parents or in-laws... I respect them to much to do so.

LOL!

Wow let me ask you something man, you ever drink alcohol? Because I've sure seen my fare share of swearing, fighting, beating women, drunk driving, due to alcohol. Never from marijuana.

Don't go fugging blaming that on weed. Your being a typical closed-minded, ignorant old guy.

Peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users