Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Happens if DeAngelo Williams is Cut or Traded?

74 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1353681254' post='2012623']
i'm too lazy to look it up and my brain hasn't engaged yet, but at when can williams contract be dumped without penalty?
[/quote]

Unlike other major sports, trades are uncommon in the NFL. The reason for that is simple: the league’s salary cap system makes is very difficult to trade players until they’re near the end of their contracts.
NFL contracts generally aren’t guaranteed. Instead players sign for a number of years and get a signing bonus. For salary cap purposes, the signing bonus is pro-rated over the life of the contract. [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3611/deangelo-williams"]DeAmgelo Williams[/url] signed a five-year, $43 million deal last season, including a $16 million signing bonus. Williams carries a $8.45 million cap figure this season — $5.25 in salary plus a $3.2 million portion (one-fifth) of the signing bonus. Trading a player is treated the same as cutting a player for salary cap purposes: All the remaining signing bonus money ($9.6 million in Williams’ case) comes forward as an immediate or nearly-immediate cap hit. That’s $7 million currently. Williams’ cap figure for next season is $7.95 million or a $9.6 million cap hit to release him or trade him. Those are huge numbers for a team with [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/08/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-september-7/"]limited[/url] salary cap space.

: The same problem exists with all those big contracts Marty Hurney handed out recently. Cutting [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4192/jon-beason"]Jon Beason[/url], for example, during the off season would net out to a $4.75 million cap hit ($8.6 million cap value if he’s on the roster, $13.3 million cap figure if he’s cut).
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PantherFanOne' timestamp='1353706518' post='2013006']
Unlike other major sports, trades are uncommon in the NFL. The reason for that is simple: the league’s salary cap system makes is very difficult to trade players until they’re near the end of their contracts.
NFL contracts generally aren’t guaranteed. Instead players sign for a number of years and get a signing bonus. For salary cap purposes, the signing bonus is pro-rated over the life of the contract. [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3611/deangelo-williams"]DeAmgelo Williams[/url] signed a five-year, $43 million deal last season, including a $16 million signing bonus. Williams carries a $8.45 million cap figure this season — $5.25 in salary plus a $3.2 million portion (one-fifth) of the signing bonus. Trading a player is treated the same as cutting a player for salary cap purposes: All the remaining signing bonus money ($9.6 million in Williams’ case) comes forward as an immediate or nearly-immediate cap hit. That’s $7 million currently. Williams’ cap figure for next season is $7.95 million or a $9.6 million cap hit to release him or trade him. Those are huge numbers for a team with [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/08/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-september-7/"]limited[/url] salary cap space.

: The same problem exists with all those big contracts Marty Hurney handed out recently. Cutting [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4192/jon-beason"]Jon Beason[/url], for example, during the off season would net out to a $4.75 million cap hit ($8.6 million cap value if he’s on the roster, $13.3 million cap figure if he’s cut).
[/quote]
maybe i didn't ask the question right.

for example, if williams was retained for another year, what would his cap hit be if he was released after that year?

i'm trying to find out when it will no longer hurt the cap for him to be cut? at what point will it cost less to release him than to keep him?

Posted · Report post

The real life team will be better.

But my Madden team will take a massive hit because I'm a beast using D-Will

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CCS' timestamp='1353708635' post='2013025']
The real life team will be better.

But my Madden team will take a massive hit because I'm a beast using D-Will
[/quote]

Same here. That's why I want Kenjon Barner or Giovani Bernard in the draft. Not just because of Madden, but because I think it will benefit our offense and return game.

Posted · Report post

this post should read WHEN we lose Deangelo

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ZackAttack23' timestamp='1353646446' post='2012500']

Why do you think that?
[/quote]

If I recall correctly, Poole got cut and Smith made it to the PS. I like them both, though. Poole a bit more. Both looked (in preseason admittedly) to be more than capable backups.

Posted · Report post

I love DeAngelo. He seems like a legitimately good dude and I think he's a damn good NFL RB. However, I don't think it's an "if" on whether or not he's released or traded. Actually, I see a trade being a long shot. For one, we'd take all the cap hit up front, and secondly, another team would either have to be willing to accept his contract or he'd have to be willing to restructure. I don't see either being very likely. No team is going to take on that deal for a RB rapidly approaching the dreaded 30 year old mark and why would DeAngelo restructure when he can sit tight, force his release, and take his pick among suitors?

I think there's a very high likelihood that DeAngelo is a post-June 1st cut next year and that he ends up in either GB or Denver shortly afterward. Best of luck to him. No ill will toward him from this fan.

Stewart needs to be our workhorse going forward and Tolbert is more than capable as a backup. Let Smith and Poole battle it out for #3. We have too many other needs to invest a high or mid-round pick in a RB and I think Stewart/Tolbert with Smith/Poole is plenty sufficient. As a huge UNC fan, I'd love to see Gio Bernard in a Panthers jersey, but I think he's probably a 1st rounder. We absolutely cannot spend a 1st rounder on a RB and even a 2cd rounder would be a luxury pick we can't afford to make. We need all the help in the trenches and secondary (SAFETY) that we can get.

Posted · Report post

Lol at all the fugging Tar Heel homers wanting gio.

Posted · Report post

cutting him in the offseason won't make the team better and it will leave the team with less money to work with for the next year and less talent to work with.

not sure how that's being improved in the short term. long term i can see it, but short term...nah. he's still good. not worth the money, by any means but unless the new gm can work something out where it won't hurt the cap more to let him go than to keep him next year the team won't be better with him gone.

Posted · Report post

Too many guys just wanting new faces around here...especially Tar Heel players.

Any UNC fan here would dump Williams for gio Bernard in a heart beat, regardless of very thing he's done for this team an how great of a person he is.

This is by the team needs to come to LA, North Carolina needs to just stick with college.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1353762188' post='2013406']
cutting him in the offseason won't make the team better and it will leave the team with less money to work with for the next year and less talent to work with.

not sure how that's being improved in the short term. long term i can see it, but short term...nah. he's still good. not worth the money, by any means but unless the new gm can work something out where it won't hurt the cap more to let him go than to keep him next year the team won't be better with him gone.
[/quote]

We could cut him post June 1 and pickup about 1 to 1.5 million in cap savings for next year. However, in 2014 we would still have 6.4 million in dead money offset by 5.8 in salary, so it would be slightly negative that year.

Keep in mind that you would still have to replace him with another player on the 53 man roster, so that eats up some of the savings for next year. So with the small savings we'd have next year, they could just decide to keep him unless they could get something of value for him in trade.

Let's say they keep him next year. Cutting him post June 1 in 2014 would save us 2.5 million for that year, and 3.5 million in 2015. From a cap/value standpoint, that option may be the more logical choice.

It may not be strictly a cap decision. They may decide they can make better use of the roster spot elsewhere, or a trade could always tip the scales against him. The bottom line is we aren't going to see much change cap wise from keeping him or cutting him until 2014 at the earliest.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Bwood' timestamp='1353763221' post='2013413']
Too many guys just wanting new faces around here...especially Tar Heel players.

Any UNC fan here would dump Williams for gio Bernard in a heart beat, regardless of very thing he's done for this team an how great of a person he is.

This is by the team needs to come to LA, North Carolina needs to just stick with college.
[/quote]

I hate the Tarheels with a passion and would take Bernard over Williams in a heartbeat.