Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow- Major props to Smitty

47 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Bwood' timestamp='1353872159' post='2014536']
Show me one recent example of a player that said thy were in their last couple years so if they were to be traded they would just retire, and then didn't stick by that word.

Smith decided a while ago that him and his family are committed to living in Charlotte, they found a high school for their kid, they aren't going anywhere.

Once again, remove you tattoo if you think smith is going anywhere.
[/quote]

I wasn't talking about our team. It happens in all sports players make statements that mean fug all. Plus using the same comeback twice shows your inferiority.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='JoshtheCzar' timestamp='1353872397' post='2014547']

I wasn't talking about our team. It happens in all sports players make statements that mean fug all. Plus using the same comeback twice shows your inferiority.
[/quote]

So you can't name one player? That's what I thought.

Smith isn't going anywhere and any real panther fan would know that.

Nice new username, now go get rid of your tattoo.

Posted · Report post

Smith still has a lot left, especially if the Panthers can every get a new #1 and be able to move Smith to the slot. He could easily turn into the Ricky Proehl role and play many more years. The question is if this Panther can get competitive again and he wants to stay around.

Posted · Report post

The Smitty man love blinds a lot of fans.....

Bottom line is Smitty says a lot but people put too much stock in "franchise" loyalty. It doesn't exist to the degree is pitched often.

Smitty wants to keep his family in Charlotte. So did Moose and so do tons of players who leave their families in cities and go play elsewhere....

If Smitty wants to play as long as his body would allow.....odds of him finishing as a Panther are simply slim. That is just reality. If he retires a Panther, he retires when he still could play IMO

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthers Nation' timestamp='1353789244' post='2013682']
Call me crazy but I think JR will trade Smitty to a championship contender next year just out of respect for what he did for the franchise.
[/quote]

That kind of thing doesn't really happen much in the real world. I can't think of an example myself off the top of my head.

Trades are made for the benefit of teams, not players.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Scot' timestamp='1353881327' post='2014680']

That kind of thing doesn't really happen much in the real world. I can't think of an example myself off the top of my head.

Trades are made for the benefit of teams, not players.
[/quote]
Tony Gonzalez. KC rebuilding, traded him and said thanks.

But plenty of aging players have been parted with in rebuilds and youth movements and when teams move into new eras. All a matter of perception, you could choose to look at it that LC wasn't trying to do him a favor and was just trying to move into a new era of KC football.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1353881526' post='2014684']

Tony Gonzalez. KC rebuilding, traded him and said thanks.

But plenty of aging players have been parted with in rebuilds.
[/quote]

They're traded because the franchise decides what another team offers for them is worth it. Sometimes they're right. Sometimes not.

That's not the same as sending a guy so he can get a ring with another team.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Scot' timestamp='1353881885' post='2014688']

They're traded because the franchise decides what another team offers for them is worth it. Sometimes they're right. Sometimes not.

That's not the same as sending a guy so he can get a ring with another team.
[/quote]

See my edit.

Lots of aging players are parted with.....regardless of reason Smith could be a Tony G. Part ways to move forward with a new era. Smitty brings a lot of baggage. Hard to build a new era with the poster child of the old era still on board.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1353882120' post='2014695']
See my edit.

Lots of aging players are parted with.....regardless of reason Smith could be a Tony G. Part ways to move forward with a new era. Smitty brings a lot of baggage. Hard to build a new era with the poster child of the old era still on board.
[/quote]

Smith getting traded is a possibility (heck, about anyone getting traded is possible). I just wouldn't consider it very likely.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Scot' timestamp='1353883547' post='2014725']

Smith getting traded is a possibility (heck, about anyone getting traded is possible). I just wouldn't consider it very likely.
[/quote]
Maybe....

I think Smitty playing as long as Donald Driver in Carolina isn't very likely....he brings to much negative to the table as he ages for that. That is why I think if he plays as long as his body would allow.....he will wear a different uniform.

Jerry Rice was even parted with.....and he had no baggage.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1353884204' post='2014737']

Maybe....

I think Smitty playing as long as Donald Driver in Carolina isn't very likely....he brings to much negative to the table as he ages for that. That is why I think if he plays as long as his body would allow.....he will wear a different uniform.

Jerry Rice was even parted with.....and he had no baggage.
[/quote]

Competitive guys rarely retire when they should.

Most stay around at least one year too long.