Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skills don't pay the bills

35 posts in this topic

Posted

Why not have programs that take people who want to learn and educate them in exchange for time served at a slightly lower rat?. Then once they have payed back the schooling in time worked they can earn like "high skilled" workers .

because companies don't want to pay to train their own workers.

Posted

Our company is constantly looking for experienced welders and experienced machinists (lathe operators, etc).

It is damn near impossible to find good qualified candidates.

What is your company paying welders and machinists?

I know several unemployed welders and I know other welders who are qualified but would laugh at what your company wants to pay (myself included in that last category)

I know a person who was recently laid off as a lathe operator. She had worked this job for the past 15 years.

Posted

because companies don't want to pay to train their own workers.

This may be true in some cases (but certainly not all), and it surely doesn't make sense.

When we do hire, we hire college graduates and in general, they have NONE of the skills we need and have to be trained from the bottom up...

What I look for is a person that has software and file system management skills and that can and is willing to learn... if they have that, we can work with it, and we HAVE to train them.

Posted

Why not have programs that take people who want to learn and educate them in exchange for time served at a slightly lower rat?. Then once they have payed back the schooling in time worked they can earn like "high skilled" workers .

We actually have several apprentice type of programs where we do this. We hire many newly trained people and provide them on the job training. We also have entered into programs with local tech schools where we actually provide scholarships and training programs in conjunction with the school.

However, we had an aged workforce for these positions. As many have retired over the past several years, we were left light on experience.

Posted

We actually have several apprentice type of programs where we do this. We hire many newly trained people and provide them on the job training. We also have entered into programs with local tech schools where we actually provide scholarships and training programs in conjunction with the school.

However, we had an aged workforce for these positions. As many have retired over the past several years, we were left light on experience.

Just not enough emphasis on trades.

I wish I had done several things different.

Learning a trade skill like Mason work or Welding is one of them.

Posted

I know several unemployed welders and I know other welders who are qualified but would laugh at what your company wants to pay (myself included in that last category)

I know a person who was recently laid off as a lathe operator. She had worked this job for the past 15 years.

Most of our opportunities are in Wisconsin and Houston. Do any of your friends live in those areas?

And you comment about them "laughing at what our company would offer...including yourself" is a shame. I would say that someone unemployed would want to take a position making a good wage.

Oh wait....I forgot....they can just sit on their ass and draw unemployment and entitlements.

By your comments about them.....I doubt they meet our standards as good employees.

Posted

Just not enough emphasis on trades.

I wish I had done several things different.

Learning a trade skill like Mason work or Welding is one of them.

I agree.

Really good and skilled machinists, etc are just damn hard to find.

Posted

Most of our opportunities are in Wisconsin and Houston. Do any of your friends live in those areas?

And you comment about them "laughing at what our company would offer...including yourself" is a shame. I would say that someone unemployed would want to take a position making a good wage.

Oh wait....I forgot....they can just sit on their ass and draw unemployment and entitlements.

By your comments about them.....I doubt they meet our standards as good employees.

when wages have been lowered to the point where unemployment garners a comparable amount of money... your solution is to get rid of unemployment and force people to work for lower wages?

lots of work + a lack of skilled labor= lower wages?

that's not how capitalism is supposed to work.

Posted

when wages have been lowered to the point where unemployment garners a comparable amount of money... your solution is to get rid of unemployment and force people to work for lower wages?

lots of work + a lack of skilled labor= lower wages?

that's not how capitalism is supposed to work.

You just made my point. People would rather sit on their ass and draw a paycheck rather than work.

Second.....that is exactly how capitalism is supposed to work. Ever heard of supply and demand.

Lastly, I am talking about damn good wages for a skilled worker. It is just too easy today to get a paycheck without working....people have lost the desire to better their own lives.

Posted

You just made my point. People would rather sit on their ass and draw a paycheck rather than work.

Second.....that is exactly how capitalism is supposed to work. Ever heard of supply and demand.

Lastly, I am talking about damn good wages for a skilled worker. It is just too easy today to get a paycheck without working....people have lost the desire to better their own lives.

excess work + lack of skilled labor= falling wages?

that's a hell of a supply/demand relationship you got there. and all because people can get $20k a year from the government?

totally.

Posted

Welders and machinists at my dad's company make 45-55k a year. With overtime, many will reach 70k + this year.

Posted

Welders and machinists at my dad's company make 45-55k a year. With overtime, many will reach 70k + this year.

They laugh at those wages.