31 replies to this topic

#1 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,764 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

http://usnews.nbcnew...-employees?lite

According to the DeKalb County, Ga., police report, officers arrived around 1:30 a.m. to find the employees on top of the middle-aged man, who reportedly was caught shoplifting two DVD players. When an officer placed the man in handcuffs, he noticed the man didn’t resist him. That’s when he realized the man was unconscious and bleeding from the nose and mouth, according to WSBTV.

#2 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Sounds like an over-zealous employee or guard killed the guy restraining him... granted he was stealing, but he shouldn't have died. Of course, sometimes you get what you ask for...

On another Walmart subject... heard many reports both locally and nationally of how out-of-hand they let the black Friday chaos get... they really need to reign that in before more people die. It's so stupid to get so crazy over discounts and sales...

#3 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Some retailers specifically train their workers NOT to pursue or even confront shoplifters. A whole lot of problems - both for the workers and the accused - can result. My brother works for a major book retailer, and they are told not to have any confrontations. Just call the cops. If the perp is caught, fine; if not, it's just a write off.

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Wonder if shoplifting will decrease at that Walmart.

Sad situation that someone had to die over a freaking DVD player. Walmart should have a lockdown area past the security devices where the doors can be locked down from both sides to detain the person. Feel bad for any innocent people to get trapped in with a crazy person, but hey....they want to add assault to their crime?

Maybe Walmart should work with manufacturers to have chip enablers on all electronic devices so they can't be used unless they've been checked out properly.

#5 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

Some retailers specifically train their workers NOT to pursue or even confront shoplifters. A whole lot of problems - both for the workers and the accused - can result. My brother works for a major book retailer, and they are told not to have any confrontations. Just call the cops. If the perp is caught, fine; if not, it's just a write off.

This is how Sears was when I worked there. Security would chase them down in the store, but as soon as they stepped foot out of the store they had to stop pursuing them.

Anything someone steals from a store like Walmart or a similar retail store is worth much less than the potential lawsuit.

#6 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Take a photo of their face....install face recognition software and scan every face. Put initial shoplifters in database...get a hit? Ask them to leave immediately or face prosecution for the first offense.

#7 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Take a photo of their face....install face recognition software and scan every face. Put initial shoplifters in database...get a hit? Ask them to leave immediately or face prosecution for the first offense.

>:

#8 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,790 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

yeah that sounds uncontroversial

also if wal mart was serious about pursuing that policy they could no longer operate in california thanks to their 1990 state law that prohibits merchants from recording "personally identifiable information". their state supreme court is very serious about enforcing it and they've repeatedly ruled against businesses that try to collect stuff like addresses and zip codes. i'd say snapping a photo of the face of every person who steps on wal mart property would go a bit beyond that.

#9 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Funny how much of a stink the media makes of stories like this on days like Black Friday despite it happening all of the time.

#10 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

I don't see an issue here.

#11 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,896 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Me either.

#12 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,682 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yeah death penalty for minor crimes. What's the issue? If I see you speeding by 3 miles per hour, I'm going to pull out my gun and kill you. It's a perfectly reasonable solution.

#13 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,870 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Walmart justice, bitch.

Posted Image

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

yeah that sounds uncontroversial

also if wal mart was serious about pursuing that policy they could no longer operate in california thanks to their 1990 state law that prohibits merchants from recording "personally identifiable information". their state supreme court is very serious about enforcing it and they've repeatedly ruled against businesses that try to collect stuff like addresses and zip codes. i'd say snapping a photo of the face of every person who steps on wal mart property would go a bit beyond that.

So California has a law stating you cannot record anything that occurs on their premises.

#15 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Yeah death penalty for minor crimes. What's the issue? If I see you speeding by 3 miles per hour, I'm going to pull out my gun and kill you. It's a perfectly reasonable solution.

That would assume premeditation on your part, which would be a crime. I didn't read the article, but if this guy was killed intentionally as punishment for stealing, obviously that's not going to go unpunished.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com