Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walmart Shoplifter Dies after Confrontation

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Walmart justice, bitch.

cartreturnmockps.jpg

Posted

yeah that sounds uncontroversial

also if wal mart was serious about pursuing that policy they could no longer operate in california thanks to their 1990 state law that prohibits merchants from recording "personally identifiable information". their state supreme court is very serious about enforcing it and they've repeatedly ruled against businesses that try to collect stuff like addresses and zip codes. i'd say snapping a photo of the face of every person who steps on wal mart property would go a bit beyond that.

So California has a law stating you cannot record anything that occurs on their premises.

Posted

Yeah death penalty for minor crimes. What's the issue? If I see you speeding by 3 miles per hour, I'm going to pull out my gun and kill you. It's a perfectly reasonable solution.

That would assume premeditation on your part, which would be a crime. I didn't read the article, but if this guy was killed intentionally as punishment for stealing, obviously that's not going to go unpunished.

Posted

That will teach him not to steal from Walmart!

Posted

So California has a law stating you cannot record anything that occurs on their premises.

of course they don't, and it seems like a clear contradiction on its face.

but video surveillance of private property doesn't quite have the same oomph in front of a judge as a retail establishment extracting biometric data from customers to be stored perhaps permanently would.

Posted

That would assume premeditation on your part, which would be a crime. I didn't read the article, but if this guy was killed intentionally as punishment for stealing, obviously that's not going to go unpunished.

Nah I won't shoot to kill, I'll just open fire with the intent to slow you down to the speed limit. If you happen to die, I don't really see the issue.

Posted

Take a photo of their face....install face recognition software and scan every face. Put initial shoplifters in database...get a hit? Ask them to leave immediately or face prosecution for the first offense.

sounds cheap.

Posted

sounds cheap.

And Walmart being the big loving corporation they are would not pass that expense to the consumer.

Posted

Right... so why the need for anywhere between 30-50 roof-mounted cameras scanning the outside of the building?

Posted

If he was stealing food, I might have a little more sympathy for this situation...

Posted

Nah I won't shoot to kill, I'll just open fire with the intent to slow you down to the speed limit. If you happen to die, I don't really see the issue.

pstall has come up with better analogies.

1 person likes this

Posted

If he was stealing food, I might have a little more sympathy for this situation...

maybe he was going to sell it to get money for food

still, dvd players really aren't worth choking someone to death over