• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Instead of creating a new thread every time Charlotte plays, let's just put everything here.

An exciting season thus far for 49er fans. We haven't played strong competition, but this is the best team I've seen since I started following the program in 2005-2006. We don't play pretty, but we play well. If we can cut down on turnovers, we might really be able to make some noise in the A10 this year.

We have four freshman that actually look capable of playing at a DI level their first year. I don't even know the last time we have had that. Nobody looks out of place.

6-0 with ECU coming up this Saturday, then a road game at Davidson. If we beat ECU this Saturday, it will be the first 7-0 start in program history.

#2 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

Tickle Me & Rub My Belly!

• HUDDLER
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'm excited for the team this year. I wasn't high on Major at first but it seems that he's got the team clicking. I'm intrigued to see if the rotation will stay the same or if he'll make Braswell a starter again.

#3 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,869 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

pierria henry is a star in the making. He pushes a triple double every game.

we have a lot of length and athleticism, more than I can ever remember (I've been following since the mid 90s).

We have offensive balance. In the great alaska shootout, it was late in all of the games before anyone hit double figures. Everyone who plays scores.

Our defensive style is very aggressive, and we use our length to our advantage to get a lot of turnovers.

Our greatest weakness, however, is ball handling. We struggle against traps in the back court. We commit a lot of turnovers. We're inconsistent from the line.

#4 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

pierria henry is a star in the making. He pushes a triple double every game.

we have a lot of length and athleticism, more than I can ever remember (I've been following since the mid 90s).

We have offensive balance. In the great alaska shootout, it was late in all of the games before anyone hit double figures. Everyone who plays scores.

Our defensive style is very aggressive, and we use our length to our advantage to get a lot of turnovers.

Our greatest weakness, however, is ball handling. We struggle against traps in the back court. We commit a lot of turnovers. We're inconsistent from the line.

No doubt. We did shoot much better from the line in the last two games though, hopefully that continues. A lot of it is mental. Mayfield was AWFUL from the line for most of last season and then in the last 7 or 8 games last year he shots like 75% and has done well from the line this year. TWill had a good game from the line against Northeastern, so hopefully that will give him some confidence there.

I agree on the ball handling. We've got to do better there. A lot of it honestly seems to be youth. I have to think this will improve as these guys get used to playing with each other.

It's amazing the depth we have honestly. It is very rare for a team to get so much contribution from freshmen. We are deep enough that we didn't even have to play Mike Thorne any. He would have been an awful matchup for the teams we faced, so it was great we had the kind of depth that could allow us to adjust our lineups to accommodate for Thorne's deficiencies.

We have three guys shooting over 40% from the three point line. I never would have expected that before the season started. Braswell is shooting 50%, Benkovich is shooting 45.5% and Ingram is shooting 40%. That was our biggest question mark heading into the season.

Every OOC game we play this year is winnable. Davidson, Miami, and FSU are the most likely losses, but honestly, I think we'll win 2 of the three.

Finishing our OOC schedule undefeated (even against a weak OOC schedule) would be HUGE. Confidence matters so much and I'm glad our freshmen and sophs are getting a big dose of confidence to start the season.

And Cannon, Major said they want to stick with what is working, so Braswell will likely continue to come off the bench. It works well because we sub him in when teams put in their backups. He's potential MVP caliber player in the A10, so he eats those guys alive.

If we go into FSU at 12-0, TWC Arena should be rocking.

A commitment from Matthew Atewe this week would only cap off a great November for the Niners.

#5 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,365 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Will tomorrow's game against ECU be on a radio or television broadcast?

#6 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Will tomorrow's game against ECU be on a radio or television broadcast?

WITN in Greenville will be broadcasting it, but I don't think it will be on in Charlotte. I'm not aware of it being on in Charlotte at least.

It will be on 730AM, but unless you live around Uptown Charlotte or to the west of the city, you probably won't be able to pick it up at night. It has a strong signal during the day, but it's garbage at night.

Our coverage is terrible. Fortunately we just signed a deal with IMG Sports that is actually larger than ECU's deal. They didn't invest almost 10 million dollars to be on a radio station that has poo signal. They said getting us on FM was a high priority.

WITN supposedly has online streaming:

http://www.witn.com/...c/27017354.html

You can try that around game time.

If you're in Charlotte and want to go to the game, I can probably snag you some free tickets.

#7 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,365 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

I am in Kernersville, and have plans pretty much all day and night or else I would make the drive for the game. It's only a little over an hour for me. I wonder if WITN is available on any of the smart phone apps like yahoo music, iheartradio, etc. I am going to be in the garage starting around tip off, and the game would be something good to listen to while I'm brewing beer.

#8 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

I am in Kernersville, and have plans pretty much all day and night or else I would make the drive for the game. It's only a little over an hour for me. I wonder if WITN is available on any of the smart phone apps like yahoo music, iheartradio, etc. I am going to be in the garage starting around tip off, and the game would be something good to listen to while I'm brewing beer.

Well, WITN is a television station.

730 AM can be streamed online though.

You can also stream the audio here:

http://client.stretc...rtal?mode=link#

You'll definitely be able to stream video of the game on http://thefirstrow.eu as well. Video quality isn't stellar, but its alright.

#9 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

• HUDDLER
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

WHOOO! 7-0 for the first time ever!

Anybody watch the game? I keep checking score updates and it seemed like we were in solid control the entire time? Anybody watch and see anything interesting?

#10 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

When do they play a tough team?

#11 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

When do they play a tough team?

We play Davidson on Wednesday night in Davidson. We play Miami the week after.

#12 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

WHOOO! 7-0 for the first time ever!

Anybody watch the game? I keep checking score updates and it seemed like we were in solid control the entire time? Anybody watch and see anything interesting?

We were solidly in control the entire night. The game wasn't as close as the score at the end indicates. They got some ticky tack fouls at the end that let ECU pull it closer.

#13 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

• HUDDLER
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

I'm planning on going to the FSU game at Time Warner Cable arena on the 22nd I hate that it starts so early though

#14 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

You should go to the Davidson game on Wednesday night if you live in the area. If you use the promo code BOGO, you get two tickets for $14. There will be a large group of Niners going and its a fun rivalry.

#15 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,539 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Davidson sucks this year. But I saw you play Miami, FSU, VCU, and Butler. Beat those guys and then it's thread worthy. BTW, I graduated from UNCC so I'm not trying to hate. But 7-0 against lousy competition = high hopes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com