78 replies to this topic

#31 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Fact remains, one has 10 years under his belt vs a guy with 1. That is huge.

Second, Smitty, LaFell and Olsen are all 3 better rec targets. Gettis is in the mix with the next tier. Bridges is in the mix for the main gig.

They aren't comparable

Gettis was a much better target than Lafell.

#32 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Gettis was a much better target than Lafell.

He isn't now.

And LaFell was a more well rounded player as a rookie.

#33 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

He isn't now.

And LaFell was a more well rounded player as a rookie.

You nor I have absolutely no idea how good he is now. That's the whole point of the thread.

#34 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,541 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Fact remains, one has 10 years under his belt vs a guy with 1. That is huge.

Second, Smitty, LaFell and Olsen are all 3 better rec targets. Gettis is in the mix with the next tier. Bridges is in the mix for the main gig.

They aren't comparable

not like the guy hasnt played football before either.they are if you consider Gettis has experience playing WR(would push for #3 spot) and returning KO. you know like i do, that Rivera dog house is a bitch to get out of.

#35 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,645 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

so even if the player is not in shape and not on the same page with the QB.........

we should bench someone else in order for him to play because ??

You honestly believe Gettis isn't in shape? He has seen time on the field, and is consistently regarded by players as one of the fastest guys on the team. Not in shape my foot.

...until he and Rivera got into it. It's just a bunch of bologna that people are buying.

#36 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

You nor I have absolutely no idea how good he is now. That's the whole point of the thread.

One could use common sense and basic reasoning to make an educated guess....

Gettis, right now, isn't a better overall player than Smith, Olsen or LaFell.

One reasonably could assume he would fall somewhere near Murphy overall.

#37 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

You honestly believe Gettis isn't in shape? He has seen time on the field, and is consistently regarded by players as one of the fastest guys on the team. Not in shape my foot.

...until he and Rivera got into it. It's just a bunch of bologna that people are buying.

Steve Smith is in shape in the offseason. Smith also has repeatedly said it takes a full training camp and then preseason to legitimately work your way into game shape

#38 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Gettis was a track star. I highly highly doubt he would allow himself to get out of shape. He's probably never been out of shape in his life.

If there were some physical problem, Rivera wouldn't have stuck him in for 2 plays and yanked him out again. If a guy is really either injured or out of shape, you don't toy with them and their health. You put players in the game who are healthy, and if they're not, you keep them out.

Putting him in and yanking him out is sending a message.

#39 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,360 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Damn, the dude's played the WR position his entire life. Yeah, he only had one NFL season and then missed a whole season but there's no way in hell he could be any less of a reliable target than Armanti Flippin Edwards. I'm not saying play him a whole game, but it would definitely do him good to get maybe a rep or two in the next few games playing against other teams where he can start to get back the feel for the game.

I'd rather him go ahead and take his lumps refamiliarizing himself with the position at the tail end of a dead end season rather than crossing my fingers and hope he works out at the beginning of a new one.

#40 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

One could use common sense and basic reasoning to make an educated guess....

Gettis, right now, isn't a better overall player than Smith, Olsen or LaFell.

One reasonably could assume he would fall somewhere near Murphy overall.

It's not common sense or reasoning at all if you're simply basing your guess on what Ron Rivera has done with the situation, and that is truly all that you have to go on.

#41 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Gettis was a track star. I highly highly doubt he would allow himself to get out of shape. He's probably never been out of shape in his life.

If there were some physical problem, Rivera wouldn't have stuck him in for 2 plays and yanked him out again. If a guy is really either injured or out of shape, you don't toy with them and their health. You put players in the game who are healthy, and if they're not, you keep them out.

Putting him in and yanking him out is sending a message.

You are confusing being in shape with football shape.

But the bigger picture is......he is competing for a spot to be our rec 4th target. We don't have lots of plays for that role right now

#42 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

It's not common sense or reasoning at all if you're simply basing your guess on what Ron Rivera has done with the situation, and that is truly all that you have to go on.

So then you are arguing Gettis, today, is a better rec target than Smith, Olsen or LaFell? Which ones?

I am fine with Gettis taking Edwards spot on KOs and getting his WR roster spot that way. Giving him some of Murphy's rare work. Other than those situations.....he doesn't deserve much more

#43 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,199 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Why is he still out. We need answers

#44 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Why is he still out. We need answers

Well, how many WRs should we carry in a game?

Comes down to math. But he should get Murphy's spot at some point to show what he has

#45 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

So then you are arguing Gettis, today, is a better rec target than Smith, Olsen or LaFell? Which ones?

I am fine with Gettis taking Edwards spot on KOs and getting his WR roster spot that way. Giving him some of Murphy's rare work. Other than those situations.....he doesn't deserve much more

I've already stated what I'm arguing: that we don't know. You're the one making a positive assertion (That Gettis is at a certain talent level and would compete for a certain spot), all I'm arguing is that we don't know and we won't until he finally gets his shot.

What we do know is that Armanti Edwards has been the worst returner in the league for multiple seasons now, and has contributed almost nothing as a wide receiver. Yet he continues to get opportunities year after year over players who have shown they are more skilled then he is. So where I think you're failing is in the assumption that there must be some logical explanation for Gettis to not be playing, rather than it being simply another terrible decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com