- - - - -

Rivera vs. Gettis

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Gettis was a track star. I highly highly doubt he would allow himself to get out of shape. He's probably never been out of shape in his life.

If there were some physical problem, Rivera wouldn't have stuck him in for 2 plays and yanked him out again. If a guy is really either injured or out of shape, you don't toy with them and their health. You put players in the game who are healthy, and if they're not, you keep them out.

Putting him in and yanking him out is sending a message.

You are confusing being in shape with football shape.

But the bigger picture is......he is competing for a spot to be our rec 4th target. We don't have lots of plays for that role right now

#42 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

It's not common sense or reasoning at all if you're simply basing your guess on what Ron Rivera has done with the situation, and that is truly all that you have to go on.

So then you are arguing Gettis, today, is a better rec target than Smith, Olsen or LaFell? Which ones?

I am fine with Gettis taking Edwards spot on KOs and getting his WR roster spot that way. Giving him some of Murphy's rare work. Other than those situations.....he doesn't deserve much more

#43 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Why is he still out. We need answers

#44 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Why is he still out. We need answers

Well, how many WRs should we carry in a game?

Comes down to math. But he should get Murphy's spot at some point to show what he has

#45 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

So then you are arguing Gettis, today, is a better rec target than Smith, Olsen or LaFell? Which ones?

I am fine with Gettis taking Edwards spot on KOs and getting his WR roster spot that way. Giving him some of Murphy's rare work. Other than those situations.....he doesn't deserve much more

I've already stated what I'm arguing: that we don't know. You're the one making a positive assertion (That Gettis is at a certain talent level and would compete for a certain spot), all I'm arguing is that we don't know and we won't until he finally gets his shot.

What we do know is that Armanti Edwards has been the worst returner in the league for multiple seasons now, and has contributed almost nothing as a wide receiver. Yet he continues to get opportunities year after year over players who have shown they are more skilled then he is. So where I think you're failing is in the assumption that there must be some logical explanation for Gettis to not be playing, rather than it being simply another terrible decision.

#46 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

I've already stated what I'm arguing: that we don't know. You're the one making a positive assertion (That Gettis is at a certain talent level and would compete for a certain spot), all I'm arguing is that we don't know and we won't until he finally gets his shot.

What we do know is that Armanti Edwards has been the worst returner in the league for multiple seasons now, and has contributed almost nothing as a wide receiver. Yet he continues to get opportunities year after year over players who have shown they are more skilled then he is. So where I think you're failing is in the assumption that there must be some logical explanation for Gettis to not be playing, rather than it being simply another terrible decision.

Well, using your Gettis logic we don't know what Armanti can do as a WR either. He has made plays the very very very select times given a chance this year.

So you are saying it is a reasonable possibility our 6th round WR with only 2010 under his belt.....could be better than Smith or LaFell if put on the field Sunday? I would say that is a slim possibility if applying reason

#47 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well, using your Gettis logic we don't know what Armanti can do as a WR either. He has made plays the very very very select times given a chance this year.

Yes we do, he gets plenty of play time. He just can't get open. Since Denver (17 snaps) he has been seeing the field quite a bit on offense.

So you are saying it is a reasonable possibility our 6th round WR with only 2010 under his belt.....could be better than Smith or LaFell if put on the field Sunday? I would say that is a slim possibility if applying reason

Will he immediately walk onto the field better than LaFell? Likely not. But he will never be better than LaFell if he never plays. But why does he need to be better than LaFell on Sunday? Thomas Davis didn't step onto the field immediately as his old self, either. But he was given a chance, given playing time, and over time he worked his way back to form.

Where would Thomas Davis be if he was never given that chance? On the bench, next to Gettis.

#48 Navy_football

Navy_football

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationArlington, VA
HUDDLER

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Gettis is arguably the best athlete on the team. Why not give him an opportunity to put up or shut up? If Gettis says he's ready to play, then he really should be given a legitimate shot to play.

It's not like Lafell or Murphy are tearing it up right now. And I'm a huge fan of Lafell.

On another note, I'd like to see a lot more opportunities for Barnidge too.

#49 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• LocationGreensboro, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Takes Jeremy Bridges two weeks to get in "FOOTBALL" shape...yet Gettis has been practicing for the entire season just about, but isn't in football shape.

Yeah that makes sense.

#50 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• LocationDa City
HUDDLER

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Takes Jeremy Bridges two weeks to get in "FOOTBALL" shape...yet Gettis has been practicing for the entire season just about, but isn't in football shape.

Yeah that makes sense.

because Bridges is a 30 year old, 10 year vet.no way should a former track running 25 year old, WR that has been in the league for 3 years be in football shape. and if he stays on the bench he will not be in football shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users