22 replies to this topic

#1 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

Hearing this less is more talk from Rivera is pissing me off. To me it's trying to deflect the blame onto Cam. Why couldn't they have "reduced" the load on Cam early in the year? As a coach did it take you 10 games to put this together? Seems like the less we run the read option the better we perform as an offense.

Top it off all the announcers/commentators started to run with it. It's not defense's giving up points like a sieve in the 4th quarter. It's not bad clock management, clueless situational awareness, ass backwards play calling at the end of the game. NOOOOO it's Cam Newton has too much on his plate?

The only person on the team that always takes the blame is Cam. Smitty blames other people, CJ blamses other people. It's crazy. I am hugely disappointed in the team leadership that Rivera is showing. Also let me state, I do believe Cam has played poorly in certain situations, however we all have seen how coaching has sabotaged our season.

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,515 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

wait didn't we win tonight?

#3 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,916 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

wait didn't we win tonight?

Posted Image

#4 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Uh....you're wrong. This isn't about deflecting blame. Cam looked MUCH better today than he has all season. We got back to better playcalls because we weren't utilizing plays that he simply isn't comfortable with yet. We ran the plays he's comfortable running. It's not that he can never run those plays, it's just that he can't right now. His development isn't there yet. They have to slowly introduce new plays and concepts into his repertoire. Not because he's stupid, but because he's been thinking too much. Football is about reactions. The plays we ran tonight are more or less plays that he can run in his sleep. They're the plays we ran last season. The plays he has repped 1000 times. And they'll keep adding plays and concepts slowly, and eventually, the whole playbook will be him reacting and executing rather than thinking. A cluttered mind equals a slow body.

Sure, the clock management and whatnot has killed us. The fact remains that we were able to get points when we needed to because we simplified our playbook and ran what Cam can run right now, not what they want him to run in the future.

#5 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

I feel like the season was ruined with how much we put on Cam in the beginning. Take all that off of him and try to be an actual football team, and look at the results.

All I think the HC is trying to say there...

#6 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,751 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

I'd rather have only 50 plays in the playbook that you can effectively run and execute rather than 500 pages of crap.

KISS, it's a cliche for a reason.

#7 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Let's hope Chud finds a job somewhere else or gets fired. I really want to see Rivera stay and coach with a much better coaching staff around him

#8 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Cam Newton was 5-5 for 176 yards and two touchdowns on passes traveling 15 or more yards downfield. His 35.2 yards per attempt on such throws is the second-highest by any quarterback in a game during the last two seasons (min. five attempts).

#9 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

I don't think it's ever been about "putting too much on his plate". It wasn't that he couldn't figure out the read option, it's that it was shitty playcalling. Our team isn't built for that, primarily our O-line isn't designed to hold long enough for the read option to work with regularity. There wasn't "too much on Cam's plate", it's that Cam's plate had steaming piles of dog poo on it.

#10 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,751 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

I think the "less is more" is actually more beneficial to Chud than Cam.

Some of his plays are so intricate that if its doesn't hit on every little part it's a disaster and it takes so damn long execute.

#11 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,565 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Part of Cam's issues have been the Offensive scheme not allowing him to play instinctive football.
Less is More clears his head and allows him to play off his instincts.

#12 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'm with those that think this was typical blame deflection by Rivera. They "simplified" things by cutting back on the read options and the double reverse statue of liberty super duper fool 'em plays. They should have done this week 2, not week 12.

I've had about all of Rivera and Chud I can take.

#13 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

I'd rather have only 50 plays in the playbook that you can effectively run and execute rather than 500 pages of crap.

KISS, it's a cliche for a reason.

the thing i've been noticing this year is that they have been running a very limited offense, that they simplified it from last year...at least it seems that way to me. they have been running just a small portion of the playbook. the problem is that we haven't done what i bolded in your post. they made it simple, but it wasn't being run effectively. i have no problem with KISS, but when your simple selection just isn't working, find another simple selection of plays to focus on.

other than just not being able to close out most games, that has been the team's biggest downfall this year. they aren't running what works, they are running what chud wants to run. those two things aren't in sync.

they have moments, though, when they change what they have been doing and it's really effective, but then they fall right back into their exercises in futility and i'm convinced that it's because chud isn't paying attention to what's happening on the field.

#14 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,308 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

I love how we gash defenses for chunks of yards and first downs....and then the next two drives we stall out because we get cute with trickery...

It's the NFL Chud....it's about lining up and simply beating the other guy sometimes...not fooling him with read option....

#15 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

There is enough blame to be spread over the entire team,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com