Photo
- - - - -

Pat Yasinskas thinks Rivera can keep his job.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Only way it's even a CONSIDERATION, is if he finishes on a 6 game win streak.

i would think the only way he keeps his job is if we hired him as coach/GM.

#32 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Wven if he wins out I give him a 20% chance. Anything possible with Jerry though.

#33 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,622 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm not sure Chud alone is enough. Our o-line was underwhelming even when we had Kalil. I'm also not 100% sold on Shula. We could use a stronger personality in that spot.

Turner was exceptional under J. Johnson, but I worry about him under a weak RR.

Oh, and I forgot ST's. We probably need to make a change there as well.

The hell with it. Stick to the plan and replace the whole coaching staff other than maybe Washington and Sam Mills Jr.

I'm all for replacing Matsko. Juan Castillo is available, and Howard Mudd probably will be too.

As to Turner, he worked pretty well under Mike Singletary.

#34 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,567 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

It's not unheard of for a new GM to give a struggling coach an 'audition' season.

Seems unlikely to me, but yeah. It could happen.

it all depends on 1) if it looks like the team has bought in and they are heading in the right direction the rest of the season and 2) the sense of urgency the new GM has towards turning the team around.

that said, i'm not expecting him to come back.

#35 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,622 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

it all depends on 1) if it looks like the team has bought in and they are heading in the right direction the rest of the season and 2) the sense of urgency the new GM has towards turning the team around.

that said, i'm not expecting him to come back.

I'm not either.

But I'm not gonna say it's impossible.

#36 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Bringing Norv Turner in as OC would be a coup for this franchise

Don't need to keep Stoic Ron to do that though.

#37 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,085 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

So basically a rinse and repeat from last season? no thanks.

#38 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,567 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Bringing Norv Turner in as OC would be a coup for this franchise

Don't need to keep Stoic Ron to do that though.

i didn't like that idea when i first looked at it, but the more i think about it, the more i like it.

i think cam could run the norv coryell very well, even with very little changes in it. there wouldn't necessarily need to be any designed runs, but he should be given the green light to run when he sees an opening that can be exploited.

i'd much rather have turner here running the offense than reid, that's for sure. no WCO, please. got to make and keep things simple. that said, turner isn't my first choice for running the offense. i'd rather we have a faster paced offense and simpler play calls like chip kelly has and like the pats are using now. there's no need for the long winded verbiage used by most teams, esp. WCO verbiage.

#39 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Ron Rivera seems to be a nice guy but just not an NFL ready HC. Who knows,in a few years he could turn up as a HC for another NFL team but his time in Carolina regretfully will be a thing of the past at seasons end,in my opinion.

#40 FastNFurious

FastNFurious

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

So let me see.... the Panthers have wins against 3 average teams, maybe we beat the Chiefs and Ron keeps his job?????

#41 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,567 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

So let me see.... the Panthers have wins against 3 average teams, maybe we beat the Chiefs and Ron keeps his job?????

i think if he gets his record to at least 6 wins this year it becomes a scarce possibility. if he increases his record from last year and gets 7 or 8 wins, it's reasonable to think he'd be in consideration.

even at that, though, it would depend on the quality of those wins and if things were clicking really well the rest of the season.

i don't see that, though, and i just don't know that even then a new GM would want to retain him.

it would have to be some miraculous transformation the rest of the season.

#42 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm all for replacing Matsko. Juan Castillo is available, and Howard Mudd probably will be too.

As to Turner, he worked pretty well under Mike Singletary.

Singletary may have been a crappy head coach in SF, but he certainly would never be accused of being soft. I think Ron is soft. I don't think he has been tough enough with his coaches or with his players. I don't think he demands excellence, he just hopes for it.

I view Turner in much the same way. For that reason, it just doesn't seem like a good fit to me. Put Turner under someone like Mike Tomlin or Coughlin or either Harbaugh or even Pete Carrol and he'll shine again. Put him together with Rivera, and watch them stumble and bumble their way to 7 and 9 year after year.

#43 doghead28

doghead28

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I don't think he will be back. The late game collapses, time management and the special teams debacles will be his undoing.

#44 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

While I'm glad our young players showed their stuff last night, I was honestly hoping we would lose the game. Two reasons. One, we need that first overall pick to trade away. There's no question that will help this franchise more so than just one guy in the first round. Two, Rivera needs to get up out of here. If this guy stay around for one more year, you can kiss Cam's career in Carolina goodbye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.