Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Anti-Walmart

236 posts in this topic

Posted

not to mention... where do you think all those walmart employees spend their assistance checks?

yea, that's right.

Fun fact: WalMart employees spend more per week at WalMart than the average WalMart customer.

Posted

the TS factory fire, which was a little dramatic but an effective statement nevertheless

"I HAVE TO WORK THANKSGIVING, ITS LIKE BEING BURNED ALIVE!!!!!!"

smh

1 person likes this

Posted

And a dick in your mouth.

8 hour ban

Posted

so basically you think that you should accept whatever conditions that were present when you were hired? and yet you, and others, can't see the parallels between that and historical arguments against workers rights?

this is the only post i've seen in this entire thread that gets to the core philosophical argument necessary to address to come to any sort of conclusion in this debate. well that and the TS factory fire, which was a little dramatic but an effective statement nevertheless

No its really not and this is why...

People with ideology like Cantrell here see everything in black-and-white, no shades of grey at all.

Comparing not having holidays off at a retail store to say... unsafe working conditions, or even low wages is not a good comparison... not even close.

No one here, certainly not me, is advocating that workers should simply accept things as they are and never work for a better working environment... but if you accept a job where there are working days on holidays, then you have to work holidays.

It's a pretty simple concept, but if you see life like he apparently does, I guess it's not.

Posted

Comparing not having holidays off at a retail store to say... unsafe working conditions, or even low wages is not a good comparison... not even close.

Haha I think working at walmart on black friday might actually qualify as "unsafe working conditions" with all the nutjobs out there

Yeah but seriously working holidays isnt a big deal. You usually get paid extra plus what are you missing? Awkward conversations with extended family while eating/ watching TV.

1 person likes this

Posted

Haha I think working at walmart on black friday might actually qualify as "unsafe working conditions" with all the nutjobs out there

Yeah but seriously working holidays isnt a big deal. You usually get paid extra plus what are you missing? Awkward conversations with extended family while eating/ watching TV.

Agree... I heard that it was absolute chaos. Stuff stacked everywhere and employees that knew where nothing was... which, as I have previously said, is what Walmart gets for having low wages and no benefits... crappy employees.

Posted

You get what you pay for.

Posted

8 hour ban

awww come on... it's the tinderbox.

1 person likes this

Posted

the US is the only oecd country without legal entitlement to holiday pay (or paid leave)

generally speaking it's one of those nice things we as a society can do for the people who work poo jobs; people who, at least in america, spend their thanksgiving scanning cheap tvs while making at best half of what it takes to provide the bare minimum for their families. you know, those families that conservatives insist are so goddamned important that we should expect min. wage employees to work 2-3 jobs, throughout the holidays, to provide for the family that they can never actually be around anyway

look, i don't disagree with you philosophically at all... I just don't see it as compensation or a "right."

it definitely is the decent thing to do... but unfortunately "decent" doesn't mean much. I'd like to see mandatory vacation legislated as I think it makes for a more productive workforce... that said, it's not.

Posted

8 hour ban

Err I was always under the impression that the TB was fair game.

Posted

I agree with everything you said, and how you feel.

However I don't want our government regulating how cheaply we can buy goods.

We the people have done this to ourselves, now we must live with the consequences.

Between my parents, brother, and myself we have own/owned 4 businesses. I am all for the small business.

Wal Mart suck, Costco sucks, Home Depot sucks, Lowes sucks...but it's what the people have said that they want.

Grocery Stores carry flowers now....it's what we have done, not what business has done. They are merely following our lead/demands.

No one wants to tackle the fact that we as a people created Wal Mart/one stop shopping/box stores/destroyed Mom and Pops?

Also let's not even get into online shopping...good lord how many companies has Amazon put out of business?

2 people like this

Posted

Err I was always under the impression that the TB was fair game.

Not always.