Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Anti-Walmart

236 posts in this topic

Posted

you must have missed the post showing that the US is literally the only OECD country that doesn't legally entitle employees to paid holidays (or paid leave)

OK, so how does this work for jobs that have to be done on holidays? The aforementioned factory jobs, etc?

You don't think retail stores should be open on holidays right? What other establishments shouldn't be open? Restaurants? Bars? Gas Stations? Hospitals? Service companies with project deadlines?

Who decides?

Posted

i edited that post while you were replying

Posted

i edited that post while you were replying

I see that... and I agree mostly, but the chances of min wage employees getting paid leave, unless the gov't requires it is pretty much nil. Not saying it's right, it just is.

I suspect what happened in the case of Walmart, (and I'm speculating, so if someone knows, inform me) that Walmart requires the employees be there on the holiday, and then makes them take other time off during that week so as not to exceed their 30 hour limit. No?

Obviously it's not "paid leave" but it's equivalent leave... and it is to Walmart's benefit but it is leave.

For the record, I have no problem with what you're suggesting in regards to paid leave, but it won't happen... too many greedy companies and open hands in DC.

Posted

Anyone eat out on holidays? Buy gas?

I'm usually pretty full and sleepy but I'm sure she would be up for it

Posted

Kurb is the walmart assistant manager of the huddle!

Posted

Indeed.

Protest them by not shopping there.

If only these stories of disgruntled working forces and customer trampling frenzies became more prevalent in the media than ZOMG 5 DOLLAR BOAT SHOES the entire concept of black friday would fade into an abyss of nothingness.

Posted

Wal-Mart Nixed Paying Bangladesh Suppliers to Fight Fire

By Renee Dudley & Arun Devnath - Dec 5, 2012 10:57 AM ET

At a meeting convened in 2011 to boost safety at Bangladesh garment factories, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) made a call: paying suppliers more to help them upgrade their manufacturing facilities was too costly.

The comments from a Wal-Mart sourcing director appear in minutes of the meeting, which was attended by more than a dozen retailers including Gap Inc. (GPS), Target Corp. and JC Penney Co.

Details of the meeting have emerged after a fire at a Bangladesh factory that made clothes for Wal-Mart and Sears Holdings Corp. killed more than 100 people last month. The blaze has renewed pressure on companies to improve working conditions in Bangladesh, where more than 700 garment workers have died since 2005, according to the International Labor Rights Forum, a Washington-based advocacy group.

http://www.bloomberg...fight-fire.html

now... my question is. Why do you think that walmart (or most companies) would treat their workers here ANY different if they weren't legally obligated to?

Now perhaps Cantrell's metaphor is fitting.

Posted

capitalism bro capitalism

Posted

So Walmart didn't front more cash for a business they don't own to upgrade its factory??

Posted

So Walmart didn't front more cash for a business they don't own to upgrade its factory??

so walmart chooses suppliers that allow their workers to die due to poor work conditions in order to keep prices low?

3rd largest company in the world... victim of conniving bangledeshi garment factory.

Posted

the more "skilled" women workers of bangladesh's garment factories earn eleven cents an hour and work 20-hour days, usually sleeping at their workstations instead of going home, have two days off a month, aren't paid for overtime, only are allowed two bathroom breaks per shift, and are often beaten or fired if they don't meet quotas (which always involves assembly-line-style production, sewing, for instance, 4000 buttons per day without a break all but two days of the month every month of the until you're fired at age of 35 with no pension plan because the 9-year-olds getting paid nine cents an hour to fold clothes have a higher ceiling.

man's inhumanity to man transcends national borders. don't think for one second this couldn't happen here if regulations were removed that prevent this sort of thing from legally happening.

Posted

so walmart chooses suppliers that allow their workers to die due to poor work conditions in order to keep prices low?

3rd largest company in the world... victim of conniving bangledeshi garment factory.

I see the wrong here on Walmart's part in using that particular company.

But shouldn't that actual owner of the factory get the blame ?