235 replies to this topic

#136 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Ive never understood paid holidays... I guess people can lobby for them, but never having had them myself... Ive certainly never thought of them as a right... Meh. Never felt i should get paid for days i dont work.

the US is the only oecd country without legal entitlement to holiday pay (or paid leave)

generally speaking it's one of those nice things we as a society can do for the people who work poo jobs; people who, at least in america, spend their thanksgiving scanning cheap tvs while making at best half of what it takes to provide the bare minimum for their families. you know, those families that conservatives insist are so goddamned important that we should expect min. wage employees to work 2-3 jobs, throughout the holidays, to provide for the family that they can never actually be around anyway

#137 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,517 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

so basically you think that you should accept whatever conditions that were present when you were hired? and yet you, and others, can't see the parallels between that and historical arguments against workers rights?

this is the only post i've seen in this entire thread that gets to the core philosophical argument necessary to address to come to any sort of conclusion in this debate. well that and the TS factory fire, which was a little dramatic but an effective statement nevertheless

#138 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

SOAPBOX TANGENT WARNING!!!

With the economic down turn the last 6-7 years ,employee rights have taken a nosedive as businesses have stripped pensions, benefits, adjusted lesser pay scales.

You see this especially in manufacturing where a lot of companies had to go into survival mode in 2008-10. Problem as business returned and production increased these sacrifices the employees made have never been rectified. right to work states have employyes who are basically indentured servants. Companies create management programs which aggressivley threaten employee's jobs...bc they can.

The salaries of CEOs and executive bonuses have been generally reinstated but Benefits, pension and such for a front line employee or middle manager have been absent or worlds apart from the previous system...SIx Sigma!!

I call it the Six Sigma Syndrome.

If your not familiar with it basically its a business management model corporations implement to streamline and create "efficiencies" * cut overhead/labor by each year by 10% creates profit!!

Problem with this is companies pay Hundreds of thousands of dollars to get these Six Sigma Black belt consultants and they start chopping workforce.

In the retail industry Circuit City and Blockbuster video are two companies I know that used this system...see a trend?! It is unsustainable ..

Investing in your workforce creates motivated employees, who in turn will work harder and have a sense of ownership in the company. This should increase customer service, create better products and is all the difference between Wal Mart and Target or Walmart/Sams Club and a Cotsco.

Tldr i got it..

#139 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,974 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

how is the govt considering taxing more, on the current folks working, any dif than corps making one worker do the work of three? and neither person can truly complain about it?

how is the govt and big biz really dif?

#140 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

how is the govt and big biz really dif? how is babby formed? how much have i had to drink tonight?

#141 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,974 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

owning you gets easier and easier

#142 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

You can only cut back so much and treat employees like pooh before its nothing but a reflection of your own store.

This is mostly a syndrome of Fortune 500 companies who can never implement or test a long term solutions... Its just panic n change after every Quarterly report...

I need to work for a private company lol...although my company is pretty awesome at the moment. I can smell Wall Street crazy in the air however.

#143 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,974 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

i agree tantric. the govt treats its citizens very similar to big biz's in many ways does it not?

#144 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

i'm not too sure that

how is the govt considering taxing more, on the current folks working, any dif than corps making one worker do the work of three? and neither person can truly complain about it?

how is the govt and big biz really dif?

is consistent with this

owning you gets easier and easier

however YMMV

#145 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,974 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

i need to get my daughters to do some drawings so you can grasp things that don't appear in a news feed or what you overheard in a coffee shop then you try to pawn it off as an original idea.

tell me shuttles. would you prefer more people working or higher taxes? one or the other.

#146 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

i agree tantric. the govt treats its citizens very similar to big biz's in many ways does it not?

Yet we need to cut corporate taxes to "create jobs*"

*janitorial staffs expand across the nation as CEO pay goes up yet again!!

Giving tax incentives to companies for every 5% (as an example) increase in hiring will create jobs and stimulate hiring.

Yet I never hear this talk on either side.

#147 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

why are those things mutually exclusive? did i die and go to hell, the only place where trickle down economics works?

#148 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,974 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

take off your liberal only hat.

who said anything about trickle down? who said anything about lowering corp taxes?

would you prefer more people working right now or more taxes?

its an easy question.

#149 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

uh it's the implication when you say things like "more people working or higher taxes? THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE"

#150 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,974 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

i will type slower. which do you prefer? more....people...worrrr...king. OR

more taaa aa a axes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users