Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

8 hour ban

Err I was always under the impression that the TB was fair game.

#167 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

I agree with everything you said, and how you feel.

However I don't want our government regulating how cheaply we can buy goods.

We the people have done this to ourselves, now we must live with the consequences.

Between my parents, brother, and myself we have own/owned 4 businesses. I am all for the small business.

Wal Mart suck, Costco sucks, Home Depot sucks, Lowes sucks...but it's what the people have said that they want.

Grocery Stores carry flowers now....it's what we have done, not what business has done. They are merely following our lead/demands.

No one wants to tackle the fact that we as a people created Wal Mart/one stop shopping/box stores/destroyed Mom and Pops?

Also let's not even get into online shopping...good lord how many companies has Amazon put out of business?

#168 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,332 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Err I was always under the impression that the TB was fair game.

Not always.

#169 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

"I HAVE TO WORK THANKSGIVING, ITS LIKE BEING BURNED ALIVE!!!!!!"

smh

well it's not an effective comparison of working conditions or an accurate representation of unfairness of life. of course there's no case to be made that working thanksgiving = dying in a fire. i don't think GS is stupid enough to make that suggestion, which is why i think his point was based not on combating the surface argument of working conditions, but the deeper philosophical argument of whether or not "you knew what you were getting into" is a statement which transcends complaints about the morality of the nature of those very things.

it's a complicated argument, but i think you took those images in a manner other than they way they were intended.

#170 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I wonder if Chickens stop laying eggs on Thanksgiving?

Do cows need to be milked on Thanksgiving?

How about firefighters, emt's, and police? Surely they aren't needed on holidays, are they?

Dumbest poo I have ever heard.

#171 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

well it's not an effective comparison of working conditions or an accurate representation of unfairness of life. of course there's no case to be made that working thanksgiving = dying in a fire. i don't think GS is stupid enough to make that suggestion, which is why i think his point was based not on combating the surface argument of working conditions, but the deeper philosophical argument of whether or not "you knew what you were getting into" is a statement which transcends complaints about the morality of the nature of those very things.

it's a complicated argument, but i think you took those images in a manner other than they way they were intended.

you don't post pictures of people dying in a fire to open up a conversation or get to a deeper philosophical argument, you post them for shock value and to polarize the issue. it's a false dichotomy and is in the same vein as a godwin... I think you're being too generous.

#172 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

No one here, certainly not me, is advocating that workers should simply accept things as they are and never work for a better working environment... but if you accept a job where there are working days on holidays, then you have to work holidays.

this is contradictory

No one here, certainly not me, is advocating that workers should simply accept things as they are and never work for a better working environment...but if you accept a job where you are paid the minimum wage, then you have to work for the minimum wage

No one here, certainly not me, is advocating that workers should simply accept things as they are and never work for a better working environment...but if you accept a job where taking a break means you will be fired, then you can't take breaks

No one here, certainly not me, is advocating that workers should simply accept things as they are and never work for a better working environment...but if you accept a job working in a coal mine, where black lung is an occupational hazard, then you have to accept that

#173 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

you don't post pictures of people dying in a fire to open up a conversation or get to a deeper philosophical argument, you post them for shock value and to polarize the issue. it's a false dichotomy and is in the same vein as a godwin... I think you're being too generous.

but...they knew what they were signing up for. they should have just gotten a job somewhere else!

the point was never that working holidays is like burning alive. the point is that "you knew what you were getting into so deal with it" is never, ever conducive to progress, and that "just go work at costco!" is incredibly disingenuous and unrealistic. people don't fuging work at places with poor working conditions because they want to.

#174 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Don't you wish gospodin shuttlecock or whatever his name is could be forced to live in another country, preferably third world country, for six months, so that he might come back with some perspective?

#175 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Don't you wish gospodin shuttlecock or whatever his name is could be forced to live in another country, preferably third world country, for six months, so that he might come back with some perspective?

every time i've been to a third-world country i come back with an inspiring anti-materialistic sentiment because i've seen the joy of people with nothing compared to the angst of people with everything. when i see subsistence farmers whose wives run a little coke stand closing up at 4pm to go spend time with their kids instead of staying open later to cater to tourist dollars it kind of bugs me that unfettered greed and corporate-sponsored consumerism has become an accepted part of our national culture.

#176 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

but...they knew what they were signing up for. they should have just gotten a job somewhere else!

the point was never that working holidays is like burning alive. the point is that "you knew what you were getting into so deal with it" is never, ever conducive to progress, and that "just go work at costco!" is incredibly disingenuous and unrealistic. people don't fuging work at places with poor working conditions because they want to.

the images you posted say absolutely NONE of what you just said... they devalued your argument via hyperbole, polarized your opposition, distracted from your point and trivialized a tragedy.

doesn't really matter, this whole thread has turned into a giant non-sequitur anyway... i agree with your point, but the extreme you take your argument to is ludicrous.

#177 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

i don't think it's a false dichotomy at all, but i'll grant that simply posting the pictures without explaining the intent wasn't very good strategy.

#178 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

i don't think it's a false dichotomy at all, but i'll grant that simply posting the pictures without explaining the intent wasn't very good strategy.

the catch is... if you explain it, you realize how ludicrous it sounds and you defeat your own point... better to let someone else try to explain why it's silly and demonize them for being anti-workers' rights.

#179 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

so now we should compare ourselves to third world countries? when can we start applying that standard to things such as military spending?

#180 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

the images you posted say absolutely NONE of what you just said... they devalued your argument via hyperbole, polarized your opposition, distracted from your point and trivialized a tragedy.

doesn't really matter, this whole thread has turned into a giant non-sequitur anyway... i agree with your point, but the extreme you take your argument to is ludicrous.

"NONE" of what i just said? so you could look at those pictures and still think "people know what they're getting into when they take a job and if they don't like it they can get another job"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.