235 replies to this topic

#181 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

"NONE" of what i just said? so you could look at those pictures and still think "people know what they're getting into when they take a job and if they don't like it they can get another job"

you're going to go down with this ship huh? let me spell this out for you... no matter how much you insist they are, THESE TWO THINGS ARE NOT MUTUALLY INCLUSIVE. You're begging the question.

Again, I agree with your premise, but your argument only makes sense if you approach it emotionally.

#182 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,841 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

this is contradictory

No one here, certainly not me, is advocating that workers should simply accept things as they are and never work for a better working environment...but if you accept a job where you are paid the minimum wage, then you have to work for the minimum wage

No one here, certainly not me, is advocating that workers should simply accept things as they are and never work for a better working environment...but if you accept a job where taking a break means you will be fired, then you can't take breaks

No one here, certainly not me, is advocating that workers should simply accept things as they are and never work for a better working environment...but if you accept a job working in a coal mine, where black lung is an occupational hazard, then you have to accept that

This is why people simply cannot have reasonable debate with you. Once you've come to a position on something, you're totally unreasonable in defending it.

#183 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

so now we should compare ourselves to third world countries? when can we start applying that standard to things such as military spending?

Is China a third world country? How much do those people make in a day?

Working on Thanksgiving is a pretty good tradeoff in my opinion.

#184 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

you're going to go down with this ship huh? let me spell this out for you... no matter how much you insist they are, THESE TWO THINGS ARE NOT MUTUALLY INCLUSIVE. You're begging the question.

Again, I agree with your premise, but your argument only makes sense if you approach it emotionally.

next time i'll check with you before posting workers rights related imagery in a thread encompassing workers rights so that your delicate sensibilities are not harmed any further

#185 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,464 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

***all the stuff you said in previous posts***

You are/were a bartender.

Do you expect to work late ?

If you work retail, shouldn't you expect to work weekends/holidays/etc

I agree on consumerism, its disgusting.
Also, my TV is awesome. Baaaa Baaaa I say.

#186 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

next time i'll check with you before posting workers rights related imagery in a thread encompassing workers rights so that your delicate sensibilities are not harmed any further

don't pout... it's unbecoming.

#187 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,468 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Because you're not a total dick?

j/k you are

Always glad to have insightful input

#188 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

btw i went back and checked and yep, i even captioned the pictures with "oh look here are some people who knew what they were getting into"

it's commentary. the idea that you can't protest working conditions because you knew what they were when you were hired is silly. saying "they knew they'd have to work holidays" is consistent with saying "they knew the breakroom would be chained shut." it makes no difference what they "knew" at the time, and the only real difference between the two is that one is "obvious" (i.e. it's something I support, so of course "they knew what they were getting into" doesn't apply here) and the other is just "part of the job" for some reason

#189 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

You can protest anything you want to. And we can call you a dumbass for doing so.

#190 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,841 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

btw i went back and checked and yep, i even captioned the pictures with "oh look here are some people who knew what they were getting into"

it's commentary. the idea that you can't protest working conditions because you knew what they were when you were hired is silly. saying "they knew they'd have to work holidays" is consistent with saying "they knew the breakroom would be chained shut." it makes no difference what they "knew" at the time, and the only real difference between the two is that one is "obvious" (i.e. it's something I support, so of course "they knew what they were getting into" doesn't apply here) and the other is just "part of the job" for some reason

Do you honestly see no difference between working conditions and work requirements? There is a difference.

Guys that work in nuclear reactors have difficult and dangerous working conditions, but they still have to do their jobs, and they have a right to expect that the company should make it as safe as possible, but part of their job is to work in a dangerous place.

Guys that work in retail stores don't have difficult and dangerous CONDITIONS but they do have certain working requirements, and even if you don't LIKE working on Thanksgiving, if that is a work requirement... you have to do it.

#191 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

being open on thanksgiving isn't necessary. for example: costco. none of these retailers will suffer if they are closed on thanksgiving.

#192 LKuechly

LKuechly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

I wish my boss would let me work on Thanksgiving

#193 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

being open on thanksgiving isn't necessary. for example: costco. none of these retailers will suffer if they are closed on thanksgiving.

Makes no difference if it's necessary or not. They are open that day because they make a profit that day. If they make a profit that day, then that means that people are going there that day.

#194 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,841 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

That's a whole different discussion.

Your opinion of whether the establishment should or should not be open is irrelevant. They are open, so the employees must work. If they don't want to work, ask for time off, or work somewhere else.

Working on Thanksgiving is not a working condition, it is a work requirement. Again, do you not see that?

#195 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,841 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

I wish my boss would let me work on Thanksgiving

Shutup and get back to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users