#61 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

i said "leverage their labor" since, you know, labor is in fact a commodity

Their "labor" has no leverage. It's an unskilled job. At least so far as most retailers are concerned. If anyone can do what you are doing you have no leverage.

also it's not very easy to leverage your labor when you're a wage slave. minimum wage isn't a living wage.

Not arguing that. I would like to see retailers hold their employee's to higher standards of work/customer service/hell hygiene in some places, and by doing such increase the value of their employee's and pay them higher hourly wages. See: CostCo. Store is always clean, workers are friendly, workers don't look like meth heads, workers are knowledgeable, etc. Usually none of those things apply to your average Wally World worker.

the point is, i don't see any consistency when you can say both "yeah sure they should be able to fight for higher wages" and "they should just stop bitching about working on holidays because they knew what they were getting into"

These are two completely different things. My wife is a heart surgery nurse. She was on call "working" all Thanksgiving and the following weekend. It's part of the job. If you work retail, especially Walmart and the like, expect to work some Holiday time that 9-5'ers use to shop for presents and Black Friday deals.

#62 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Bringing the conversation back to what it should be focused on- Costco's food is the poo. Their spanish rice and frozen chicken thighs are super easy and tasty, and the sliced peaches they sell in the clear jars are like crack

#63 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

i said "leverage their labor" since, you know, labor is in fact a commodity

also it's not very easy to leverage your labor when you're a wage slave. minimum wage isn't a living wage.

the point is, i don't see any consistency when you can say both "yeah sure they should be able to fight for higher wages" and "they should just stop bitching about working on holidays because they knew what they were getting into"

I guess I just don't get where you're going with that...

If you work in retail, holidays are the biggest selling times of the year... wanting higher wages doesn't have anything to do with working the hours you have to work to perform your job.

I mean, you can fight for not working holidays all you want... but if the store you work at is open on holidays, um... you gotta work if you want that particular job.

#64 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

oh look here's some people who knew what they were getting into

I'm trying to have a fairly hostility free discussion here.
Why would you compare people jumping out of a burning factory to their deaths to people working on Thanksgiving?

Not only is that ignorant, it's incredibly insulting to those who died by comparing their lives to having to go to work when you don't want to.

#65 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm trying to have a fairly hostility free discussion here.
Why would you compare people jumping out of a burning factory to their deaths to people working on Thanksgiving?

Not only is that ignorant, it's incredibly insulting to those who died by comparing their lives to having to go to work when you don't want to.

but they knew what they were signing up for when they took the job

the point is, that's been the same argument against workers rights since forever

#66 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

I guess I just don't get where you're going with that...

If you work in retail, holidays are the biggest selling times of the year... wanting higher wages doesn't have anything to do with working the hours you have to work to perform your job.

I mean, you can fight for not working holidays all you want... but if the store you work at is open on holidays, um... you gotta work if you want that particular job.

yes i'm sure people are just going to forego purchasing their shitty tvs if walmart is closed on thanksgiving day

#67 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Their "labor" has no leverage. It's an unskilled job. At least so far as most retailers are concerned. If anyone can do what you are doing you have no leverage.

this isn't remotely true. it has nothing to do with whether or not anyone can do it, and more to do with the willingness of those people to do it, as well as the ability of wage slaves to protest it

i'd agree that they have little leverage, but only because their only alternative is starving to death or becoming one of those alleged "parasites"

Not arguing that. I would like to see retailers hold their employee's to higher standards of work/customer service/hell hygiene in some places, and by doing such increase the value of their employee's and pay them higher hourly wages. See: CostCo. Store is always clean, workers are friendly, workers don't look like meth heads, workers are knowledgeable, etc. Usually none of those things apply to your average Wally World worker.

i'm pretty sure higher wages came first. imagine that, costco pays its employees a living wage and, well, they value their job! this is like, the least surprising thing ever!

These are two completely different things. My wife is a heart surgery nurse. She was on call "working" all Thanksgiving and the following weekend. It's part of the job. If you work retail, especially Walmart and the like, expect to work some Holiday time that 9-5'ers use to shop for presents and Black Friday deals.

sorry but people need heart surgery more than they need a shitty tv

#68 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Posted Image

#69 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

yes i'm sure people are just going to forego purchasing their shitty tvs if walmart is closed on thanksgiving day

Gas stations are open, McDonalds is open, my gym was open, CVS and Walgreens were open... people still need to buy poo on holidays and people that get jobs at those places know that when they hire on. Still not seeing the problem.

When I hire someone, one of the things I give them is a list of holidays and how many personal days they get... they know up front what the expectations are... and I also tell them that if we have a project due, holidays can be shifted and you may be expected to work those times...

It'd be different if policies changed without notification, but it's pretty standard stuff we're talking about...

#70 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

but they knew what they were signing up for when they took the job

the point is, that's been the same argument against workers rights since forever

Walmart is not locking it's doors with chains.
It is not providing similarly unsafe working conditions.
Many of the folks in your example might have not realized the danger the flammable materials presented. Nor ,at the time, might not of realized how dangerous the work they were doing at the time.

Also, they burned to death, not miss the Pats/Jets game, their bodies were on fire or they were jumping out of windows.

Walmart/Retailers are asking their employees to come to work at a prime shopping time.

The two examples have nothing in common.

#71 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Walmart is not locking it's doors with chains.
It is not providing similarly unsafe working conditions.
Many of the folks in your example might have not realized the danger the flammable materials presented. Nor ,at the time, might not of realized how dangerous the work they were doing at the time.

Also, they burned to death, not miss the Pats/Jets game, their bodies were on fire or they were jumping out of windows.

Walmart/Retailers are asking their employees to come to work at a prime shopping time.

The two examples have nothing in common.

i thought friday was the prime shopping time? oh wait this year all of the retailers decided to convince people that thursday was the day to buy their worthless poo

e: btw congrats on your poo tv

#72 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

that almost sounds preferable to the jets/pats game.

#73 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Gas stations are open, McDonalds is open, my gym was open, CVS and Walgreens were open... people still need to buy poo on holidays and people that get jobs at those places know that when they hire on. Still not seeing the problem.

none of those places need to be open all day, and i doubt many of them were (other than pharmacies i suppose)

#74 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

this isn't remotely true. it has nothing to do with whether or not anyone can do it, and more to do with the willingness of those people to do it, as well as the ability of wage slaves to protest it

If you do not have a skill you do not get paid for it. Walmart workers are the bottom of the Retail spectrum when it comes to interpersonal skills. (On average).

i'd agree that they have little leverage, but only because their only alternative is starving to death or becoming one of those alleged "parasites".

This isn't the retailers fault, that said a Retailer could drastically improve it their business by improving their current work force.

i'm pretty sure higher wages came first. imagine that, costco pays its employees a living wage and, well, they value their job! this is like, the least surprising thing ever!

Actually in the article posted a Rite-Aid manager took a pay cut to work for CostCo who trained her to earn a higher wage a few years later. 10.50 -> 15? (I think).

sorry but people need heart surgery more than they need a shitty tv

Breaking News ? Point is this, it's part of the job.

#75 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

lol you're mad because i compared a key moment in workers rights to a workers rights issue today, yet you want to compare nurses to retailers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com