#121 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Phillips is one of the better.

well if phillips is an example of the type of quality you get with fair pay... i may have to switch sides...

#122 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

good argument.

it's an incentive offered by an employer i mean jesus fuging christ does that help? would you like for me to define what an employer is now?

#123 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

well if phillips is an example of the type of quality you get with fair pay... i may have to switch sides...

Haha. I have had one Phillips TV that has treated me pretty well. I'm not going to lie, I own a 55inch LED LCD Smart TV by Samsung. I didn't research their business practices until after the purchase however.

#124 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

it's an incentive offered by an employer i mean jesus fuging christ does that help? would you like for me to define what an employer is now?

are you talking about paid holidays?

#125 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

paid holidays are the logical conclusion of protesting for holidays off, yes

#126 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,446 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

i fail to see the relevance wrt what pharmacies do on holidays. if anyone's spinning, it's whoever keeps bringing up occupations which are necessary 24/7, 365, and comparing them to retailers, particularly in a society that guarantees paid time off to government employees and rich people. not sure who that could be though

Well specifically in regards to Walmart, which i think that was what we were discussing, most Walmarts, and definitely all three in the Wilmington area have pharmacies, grocery sections, automotive sections, and yes even retail sections that verywell could have items a lot of consumers would need even on a holiday...

But regardless of that, if Walmart is open on holidays (which they are, except Christmas) and you take a job there... YOU HAVE TO WORK ON HOLIDAYS.

#127 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,000 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

I think you keep throwing around supply and demand but I'm not sure it applies to low paying jobs.

You may think that Wal-Marts wages should be higher. You can disagree with my conservative political views.

However, if you think that supply and demand is not the primary factor in determining the market wage for a position and skillset, you absolutely know nothing about economics.....that you can be assured of.

I have a double major in Accounting and Economics with an MBA in International Business and Finance. I assure you that I DO know what I am talking about.

#128 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,993 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm sure you think you do

#129 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm sure you think you do

I am damn sure that you don't know what you are talking about.

#130 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,993 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

So refute the other parts of my post.

Go on.

#131 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Go on.

Sorry....double post

#132 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Go on.

It is not just Wal-Mart that pays low wages. It is most retail establishments that are paying the same wages. Should the minimun wage be raised? Very likely and employees should make their voices heard on that matter.

But, if you think that many companies pay wages higher than the market value for a particular skillset, you are kidding yourself.

All wages are basically set by what the market dictates. That hold true for a cashier just as it does for a professional athlete, lawyer, movie star, and yes...even high paid CEO's. And yes, I do think most CEO's for large corporations are frastically overpaid.

And for the record, I hate Wal-Matt for many of their corporate practices.

#133 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Go on.

I am not arguing that I think what retailers like Wal-Mart pay their employees is a fair wage as people can barely live on incomes at that level. My point is that they pay that because of the market. If all other retailers paid higher wages, Wak-Mart would in turn pay higher wages to get employees.

The way to improve this is by lobbying to change minimun wage or reform the minimum wage program. Expecting companies to pay more than they have to will not drive any change.

#134 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

paid holidays are the logical conclusion of protesting for holidays off, yes

Ive never understood paid holidays... I guess people can lobby for them, but never having had them myself... Ive certainly never thought of them as a right... Meh. Never felt i should get paid for days i dont work.

#135 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Well specifically in regards to Walmart, which i think that was what we were discussing, most Walmarts, and definitely all three in the Wilmington area have pharmacies, grocery sections, automotive sections, and yes even retail sections that verywell could have items a lot of consumers would need even on a holiday...

But regardless of that, if Walmart is open on holidays (which they are, except Christmas) and you take a job there... YOU HAVE TO WORK ON HOLIDAYS.

so basically you think that you should accept whatever conditions that were present when you were hired? and yet you, and others, can't see the parallels between that and historical arguments against workers rights?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com