• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,697 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I hope ECU goes back to CUSA, the BE is done.

Nothing says desperate like a conference calling itself the Big East extending membership to FRESNO ST. and UNLV, lol.

#17 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Come on back ECU. 49ers will beat that ass in 2015!

#18 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I hate that CUSA blew its load quickly and invited MTSU and FAU after ECU and Tulane were invited to the Big East.

I understand inviting ODU, Charlotte, and UTSA quickly. They are three schools with fair to excellent fan support and a ton of potential that were being courted by multiple conferences. CUSA had to lock them up or risk losing them. MTSU, FIU, and FAU were not going anywhere though. They were in the Sun Belt so their only upward mobility was CUSA anyway. Had CUSA waited, they could welcome back some of the defectors with open arms.

At this point, paying millions to leave CUSA and millions to enter the Big East just doesn't seem worth the investment.

#19 GSO_Pantherz

GSO_Pantherz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

Lol at Charlotte having good fan support.

#20 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Lol at Charlotte having good fan support.

there might be 18 uncc fans in the charlotte area. Even people I know who went to UNCC don't give a crap. I'm not knocking the school but I am knocking the fan base.

#21 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

there might be 18 uncc fans in the charlotte area. Even people I know who went to UNCC don't give a crap. I'm not knocking the school but I am knocking the fan base.

We are consistently in the top 100 in basketball attendance, top 20 in soccer attendance, and sellout of baseball season tickets most seasons.

We may not have the following of most programs in one of the power conferences, but we are among the best at the mid-major level for fan support.

Hell even Butler with all the success they've had only averaged about 400 more per game than we did (6500 vs 6100) and we haven't been very good for almost a decade now. When we were only a few years removed from making the NCAA tournament 8 of the last 10 years we were in the top 70 in attendance.

We support basketball and olympic sports pretty well. Look at a school like App State that has virtually no support for anything but football. If we can put 2500 in the stands for a fuging soccer game, I have little doubt we'll have any problem filling the football stadium.

If you are comparing Charlotte's following to Chapel Hill's, Alabama's, Florida's, or any other top tier program then yeah, it's not that impressive, but when you compare it to other programs in similar conferences, we look pretty good across the board.

#22 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

double post.

#23 GSO_Pantherz

GSO_Pantherz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'd wager there are more App fans in Charlotte than there are Charlotte fans. Charlotte benefits from being located in an urban area, whereas Appalachian isn't. People are not going to drive 2 hours or more to see a soccer game in Boone, or many other olympic sports. However, the fans do show up for the main revenue sport, being football. I'd love Appalachian to play Charlotte (home and home) but Judy Rose is a stuck up _________

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com