Photo
- - - - -

What are Cam and Smitty's yardage totals by the end of the season?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,707 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

On a whim I just checked stats on NFL.com.

Cam Newton: 2,701 yards

Steve Smith: 770 yards

With five games left to go, Cam needs 1,299 yards to reach the 4,000 mark on the season... that's 260 passing yards per game. To beat his own rookie record of 4,051 yards he'll need 270 passing yards per game. To beat his rushing yardage total from last season he'd need just over 52 rushing yards per game, and to beat rushing touchdowns he'd need 9 more over five games.

With five games left to go, Steve needs 230 yards to eclipse the thousand yard mark for the seventh time in his career... that's an average of 46 yards per game. If he can manage 80 yards receiving per game for the rest of the year it'll put him at 1170 on the year, good for the fourth highest total of his career.

My analysis: Cam has averaged 246 yards per game over the season so far. Bumping it up to 260 per game isn't unreasonable given the trending improvement of the offense as a unit, and we are facing some pretty terrible teams down the stretch, but still it's a tall order.

Steve's average over the season thus far is 70 YPG, fairly pedestrian compared to years past but still a solid year. He's faced the toughest cornerback competition he'll see this year (with the possible exception of upcoming Kansas City) so 46 YPG is hardly a stretch. I think he picks up another thousand-yard season receiving and a pair of touchdowns to end his season with three total.

So be of good cheer. However it shakes out, in spite of this year's ineptitude rushing the football, we have one hell of a quarterback and one hell of a talented wide receiver who's still potent in spite of his age and size.

#2 panthers04100

panthers04100

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

smitty 1125. Cam 4074.

#3 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

I think Smitty gets there. They seem like they're making a conscious effort to get him involved early and often.

Cam simply won't have a chance. They're going to dial him back these last several games and limit chances for turnovers. Hence, Rivera saying "more with less" with Cam. Cam won't get to 4000 yards passing. He will be around 180-200 yards passing per game average. I just hope he finishes with around 20 passing TD's and only throws one or two more picks...

#4 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

I think Smitty gets there. They seem like they're making a conscious effort to get him involved early and often.

Cam simply won't have a chance. They're going to dial him back these last several games and limit chances for turnovers. Hence, Rivera saying "more with less" with Cam. Cam won't get to 4000 yards passing. He will be around 180-200 yards passing per game average. I just hope he finishes with around 20 passing TD's and only throws one or two more picks...

Dial him back? He has to be a one man monster show in order for us to beat a horrible team. They can't dial him back.

#5 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 6,373 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

They need to win 4 more games to improve their record from last year and that is all that is important.

#6 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

I disagree. It's been the opposite. Rivera puts everything on Cam's plate...that's part of why we are 3-8...

Cam has to play perfect football in order for us to win...which is sad

#7 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,571 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

here's what i projected back in august. might be close on some....waaayyy off on others.

newton's numbers on the year
passing: 540 att, 340 comp, 4000 yards, 29 TDs,14 INTs, 63% comp, 92.5 QB rating
rushing: 105 carries, 600 yards, 10 TDs

smith 1100 yards, 8 TDs

#8 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

here's what i projected back in august. might be close on some....waaayyy off on others.

newton's numbers on the year
passing: 540 att, 340 comp, 4000 yards, 29 TDs,14 INTs, 63% comp, 92.5 QB rating
rushing: 105 carries, 600 yards, 10 TDs

smith 1100 yards, 8 TDs

Almost 40 TDs for cam....

That would've been something to see....he would be league MVP along with the yardage

#9 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,571 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Almost 40 TDs for cam....

That would've been something to see....he would be league MVP along with the yardage

i was expecting the offense to build on last year, just like most were. and 40 TDs from cam is only a 5 TD increase over last year's so it wasn't like i was getting greedy or anything. i thought it was pretty reasonable that he have a little increase in TDs.

i was expecting progress from one of the best offenses in the league last year with a rookie QB. not total regression in their ability to get into the end zone. there's no reason why this offense shouldn't be able to put up at least 25 points a game.

#10 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,707 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

update

Cam: 2,933 yards, 14 TDs, 10 INTs (6 rushing TDs)

Steve: 890 yards, 2 TDs

#11 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Steve is probably about to have the quietest 1,000 yard season he's had in his career

#12 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,086 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

I know there's 4 games left, but Cams interceptions have dropped from last year. His QB rating is also looking like it'll be better than last years. He's improving. We just gotta build a better team around him, and we should be good to go.

#13 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

Philly beat me to it! I was like those stats are last weeks!

#14 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

Someone need to compare last year stats this time frame to really get a read on his pace

#15 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

As much butt loving as luck has been getting, he's about 10 pts behind cam's rookie and current year on QBR, and he's already got 16 picks on the year, while cam had 17 his rookie year. He'll easily beat Cam's passing yardage record, but I highly doubt he'll beat Cam's total yards in his rookie year (about 4800).

RG3 does not get a high enough passing volume to really compare him with the three, but I think most will agree that Luck is better overall than RG3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.