Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A concise history of black-white relations in the USA

118 posts in this topic

Posted

race-card-demotivational-poster-1220047846.jpg

fascinatingly white people could use the race card for hundreds of years, up until about fifty years ago actually, but now all of a sudden someone tries to mention anything based on disconnected socio-economic and racial levels and it's all "nooooooooo no no no gotta keep everything equal, equality guys! don't be a racist!" the moment if might benefit someone other than white people.

pretty short-sighted IMO, especially for a bunch of people who believe literally everything they have is a free gift from god

Posted

How many people owned slaves? And how many people didn't?

If it was such a small percentage and every one else couldnt care less explain the post civil war Jim Crow laws

Posted

Look at the original cartoon, Casey. That's all I'm referring to. I'm not saying black people haven't got the shaft. They have. But to say that white people are only where they are today because of the labor of black people is laughable. Half the country didn't even allow slavery. The half that did, only the very rich owned slaves. Did they get where they were off the labor of black people? Yes. But don't put that blanket accusation on all white people.

1 person likes this

Posted

Phil I love ya, but this is going no where other than an ugly debate....

Posted

Yeah and his name is Liberalism.

• progressive views: a belief in tolerance and gradual reform in moral, religious, or political matters

• political theory stressing individualism: a political ideology with its beginnings in western Europe that rejects authoritarian government and defends freedom of speech, association, and religion, and the right to own property

• free-market economics: an economic theory in favor of free competition and minimal government regulation

Posted

And that's just taking into account our looks

Posted

maybe so but if it opens dialogue on an important social issue then i've achieved my goal.

Posted

maybe so but if it opens dialogue on an important social issue then i've achieved my goal.

so your goal was crying on both sides :phone:

Posted

Huddle history would indicate that it won't. We aren't ready for this type of debate on the huddle. As I said, love ya, you are true to who you are, but the huddle is a microcosim of the the world and we have a lot of folks here on both sides that will take what you are trying to do in the opposite direction of what you are trying to achieve.....and honestly it will turn out to be counter productive. Like I said your heart is in the right place, and I love people like you, but I have seen what some of these folks on here (both sides) do with a lay up like this...

Posted

but the huddle is a microcosm of the the world

this is precisely why i bounce so many ideas and concepts off the huddle masses. there's an enormous diversity of backgrounds, races, classes, political orientations, philosophies, ages, international origins, occupations, experiences, education levels, and almost any other distinct categories of humanity you could think of. it's a pretty healthy cross-section of opinion and reasonably represents a broad spectrum of responses i'd get if i asked similar questions to the general public.

i think it's why i spend so much time lurking debates in here.

1 person likes this

Posted

good thing the boss just updated the rules and gave everyone a final warning! Rules without consequence = waste of time

Posted

good thing the boss just updated the rules and gave everyone a final warning! Rules without consequence = waste of time

Leave Springsteen out of this. Most overrated musician ever.