Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A concise history of black-white relations in the USA

118 posts in this topic

Posted

i agree that the 1 percent oppresses the middle and lower classes; my problem is that minorities suffer doubly (this is reflected in all relevant data), both from the rich and from institutional racism, but middle class whites don't rally around them because my privilege :( :( :(

I don't disagree with this but it is changing. We are not there yet, but the amount of racism, both overt and hidden is going down. We are a long way from where we were even 20 years ago, but yes, we have a long way to go.

The only way to change it is to make a personal effort to do so. My kids do not see skin color. We have intentionally placed them in schools where there is a balance of races and I go out of my way to talk about racism with them.

...and yes Cantrell. I do in fact have black friends.

Posted

i love how we've disregarded non-white people that have come from outside the country with respect to their success for the purposes of this enlightened discussion.

i also love how we've disregarded the existence of poor white people to keep that brushstroke broad.

thank you for making us smaller minded with your presentation of a perpetuated delusion of helplessness (especially when compared to anyone else outside a first world nation that would GLADLY trade places with any of us for the opportunities that we take for granted).

Good point. There are white people that get treated badly because of class too. The problem goes beyond spectrum.

My parents were immigrants who became business owners. They weren't super rich by any means. They just took their destiny into their own hands. They don't teach that in school. They teach us to be dependent.

There are blacks and whites that could have taken advantage of what America can offer but have no idea because they were taught that you had to go through life begging for work or living on welfare.

Nobody says to them "Hey, you can start a business to provide for yourself and your family." all that is presented to them is a life of servitude and student loans to pay off with no promise of success.

This all goes back to the bad programing that I mentioned earlier.

Posted

I grew up and went to school in prodominatly black neighborhoods nearly all of my life. Being a racist would be illogical. But i have never minded telling that white people did not go to the jungles of Africa and pull out black people. They were bought from blacks who breed these people by class and in captivity. And the sad part isthat it still goes on there today. but no one cares. They would rather beat the 400 yr old dead horse of American slavery. Which brings me to the point that we were the first and nearly only nation to ban slavery. You will never make it to the future if you cannot let go of the past. besides how many white people back then are still alive today? So I tired of being told I am racist and have alternate freedoms from the rest of you cause I'm white. I say "you don't know what being white is like and you have no idea what my motivations in this world are." I've got news for ya, there are bad apples in every bunch. so instead of constantly pointing out others differences maybe we should all take a long look in the mirror and ask ourselves, " What makes me so righteous to judge others?"

1. these people were not bred for slavery in africa. europeans/americans did not go into the jungles of africa and pull out africans, they paid other africans to do it for them... I'm not sure how you conclude that this somehow excludes them from critique.

2. The US was one of the last of many nations to ban slavery.

Posted

i don't know if you actually mean that they "don't see skin color" or if they're just "not racist" but, the idea of "color blindness" is actually harmful

here's a good article on color-blindness and the bastardization of MLK's message: http://www.timwise.org/2003/01/misreading-the-dream-color-blindness-and-the-distortion-of-martin-luther-king-jr/

Posted

i don't know if you actually mean that they "don't see skin color" or if they're just "not racist" but, the idea of "color blindness" is actually harmful

here's a good article on color-blindness and the bastardization of MLK's message: http://www.timwise.o...luther-king-jr/

Are you talking to me? If so, use the quote...

What I meant was... if they were to see two kids... one white and one black... they wouldn't say or think "hey a white and a black kid..." they would say "two kids..."

We have tried to teach them that race is irrelevant, it's the person that matters.

1 person likes this

Posted

1. these people were not bred for slavery in africa. europeans/americans did not go into the jungles of africa and pull out africans, they paid other africans to do it for them... I'm not sure how you conclude that this somehow excludes them from critique.

2. The US was one of the last of many nations to ban slavery.

How do you feel about Chinese slavery in the West? Does it disgust you equally?

Posted

Are you talking to me? If so, use the quote...

What I meant was... if they were to see two kids... one white and one black... they wouldn't say or think "hey a white and a black kid..." they would say "two kids..."

We have tried to teach them that race is irrelevant, it's the person that matters.

hey that's great and all, race is irrelevant when choosing friends and whatnot, but you should always be perceptive of it so that, say, when particular races are oppressed, you can identify it

Posted

& I pointed out that with poo like I mentioned going on, it ain't now & until we leave crap like that behind it's not going to be, because it slants the field against me & more importantly my son.

You teach your son to treat people as he'd like to be treated and don't speak ill about people in front of him. No one is infallible. My son (8) and my daughter (11) have never heard my wife or I utter any racial slur. Period. I've grown up with and known people that do. They understand how we raise our children and I'll be damned if I'll have them grow up understanding something other than what they view in their own life experience. Even in politics, I've never told my kids I'm a republican. My wife was a democrat and now is unaffiliated. We purposefully do not discuss, outside of individual subjects, what our party affiliation is and push one line. In fact, when the debates were going on, my son and I were sitting on the bed watching it and he asked why you watch them. I, internally, knew who I was voting for, but I explained you watch both sides and you come to a determination on who you vote for based on what's important to you and their stance on those issues. I could've gone down the ignorant route and just explained that you do this because our people do "this" or "that". I want them to get as much as they can from the life experience.

Now...saying all that...I'm sadly seeing situations in his elementary school where disciplinary issues arise in kids in his class (not him...he's a freaking rule follower to the nth degree). I would be lying to you if I'd say less than 8 times out of 10, the child has a recognizable cultural name. I explain to my kid that maybe he has issues at home that he doesn't understand...or doesn't understand what he's doing is wrong...or needs encouragement when he may not understand what's seemingly coming so easy for him. Never do I make it about race. But at some point in his life, these experiences are going to write human naturee-esque equivocations in his head despite my insistence he judge everyone by their own actions. There's only so much you can do to raise a child and when you let them go, you hope you've instilled a sense of love in them that they are obvlivious to crap like race, gender, religous belief, sexual orientation, etc.

Posted

hey that's great and all, race is irrelevant when choosing friends and whatnot, but you should always be perceptive of it so that, say, when particular races are oppressed, you can identify it

Well, did I not say that we have specifically discussed racism? We have.

It's not that they don't "see" people's skin color, and I wasn't referring to racial oppression... I mean I have tried to teach them that race is not relevant in everyday life.

Posted

How do you feel about Chinese slavery in the West? Does it disgust you equally?

would my feelings on the subject change the facts?

Posted

You teach your son to treat people as he'd like to be treated and don't speak ill about people in front of him. No one is infallible. My son (8) and my daughter (11) have never heard my wife or I utter any racial slur. Period. I've grown up with and known people that do. They understand how we raise our children and I'll be damned if I'll have them grow up understanding something other than what they view in their own life experience. Even in politics, I've never told my kids I'm a republican. My wife was a democrat and now is unaffiliated. We purposefully do not discuss, outside of individual subjects, what our party affiliation is and push one line. In fact, when the debates were going on, my son and I were sitting on the bed watching it and he asked why you watch them. I, internally, knew who I was voting for, but I explained you watch both sides and you come to a determination on who you vote for based on what's important to you and their stance on those issues. I could've gone down the ignorant route and just explained that you do this because our people do "this" or "that". I want them to get as much as they can from the life experience.

Now...saying all that...I'm sadly seeing situations in his elementary school where disciplinary issues arise in kids in his class (not him...he's a freaking rule follower to the nth degree). I would be lying to you if I'd say less than 8 times out of 10, the child has a recognizable cultural name. I explain to my kid that maybe he has issues at home that he doesn't understand...or doesn't understand what he's doing is wrong...or needs encouragement when he may not understand what's seemingly coming so easy for him. Never do I make it about race. But at some point in his life, these experiences are going to write human naturee-esque equivocations in his head despite my insistence he judge everyone by their own actions. There's only so much you can do to raise a child and when you let them go, you hope you've instilled a sense of love in them that they are obvlivious to crap like race, gender, religous belief, sexual orientation, etc.

So if he were to hold certain prejudices in the future, at least part of the blame would be due to those kids with recognisably cultural names?

Posted

would my feelings on the subject change the facts?

Exactly.