117 replies to this topic

#76 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

i don't know if you actually mean that they "don't see skin color" or if they're just "not racist" but, the idea of "color blindness" is actually harmful

here's a good article on color-blindness and the bastardization of MLK's message: http://www.timwise.o...luther-king-jr/

#77 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,961 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

i don't know if you actually mean that they "don't see skin color" or if they're just "not racist" but, the idea of "color blindness" is actually harmful

here's a good article on color-blindness and the bastardization of MLK's message: http://www.timwise.o...luther-king-jr/

Are you talking to me? If so, use the quote...

What I meant was... if they were to see two kids... one white and one black... they wouldn't say or think "hey a white and a black kid..." they would say "two kids..."

We have tried to teach them that race is irrelevant, it's the person that matters.

#78 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

1. these people were not bred for slavery in africa. europeans/americans did not go into the jungles of africa and pull out africans, they paid other africans to do it for them... I'm not sure how you conclude that this somehow excludes them from critique.

2. The US was one of the last of many nations to ban slavery.

How do you feel about Chinese slavery in the West? Does it disgust you equally?

#79 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Are you talking to me? If so, use the quote...

What I meant was... if they were to see two kids... one white and one black... they wouldn't say or think "hey a white and a black kid..." they would say "two kids..."

We have tried to teach them that race is irrelevant, it's the person that matters.

hey that's great and all, race is irrelevant when choosing friends and whatnot, but you should always be perceptive of it so that, say, when particular races are oppressed, you can identify it

#80 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

& I pointed out that with poo like I mentioned going on, it ain't now & until we leave crap like that behind it's not going to be, because it slants the field against me & more importantly my son.

You teach your son to treat people as he'd like to be treated and don't speak ill about people in front of him. No one is infallible. My son (8) and my daughter (11) have never heard my wife or I utter any racial slur. Period. I've grown up with and known people that do. They understand how we raise our children and I'll be damned if I'll have them grow up understanding something other than what they view in their own life experience. Even in politics, I've never told my kids I'm a republican. My wife was a democrat and now is unaffiliated. We purposefully do not discuss, outside of individual subjects, what our party affiliation is and push one line. In fact, when the debates were going on, my son and I were sitting on the bed watching it and he asked why you watch them. I, internally, knew who I was voting for, but I explained you watch both sides and you come to a determination on who you vote for based on what's important to you and their stance on those issues. I could've gone down the ignorant route and just explained that you do this because our people do "this" or "that". I want them to get as much as they can from the life experience.

Now...saying all that...I'm sadly seeing situations in his elementary school where disciplinary issues arise in kids in his class (not him...he's a freaking rule follower to the nth degree). I would be lying to you if I'd say less than 8 times out of 10, the child has a recognizable cultural name. I explain to my kid that maybe he has issues at home that he doesn't understand...or doesn't understand what he's doing is wrong...or needs encouragement when he may not understand what's seemingly coming so easy for him. Never do I make it about race. But at some point in his life, these experiences are going to write human naturee-esque equivocations in his head despite my insistence he judge everyone by their own actions. There's only so much you can do to raise a child and when you let them go, you hope you've instilled a sense of love in them that they are obvlivious to crap like race, gender, religous belief, sexual orientation, etc.

#81 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,961 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

hey that's great and all, race is irrelevant when choosing friends and whatnot, but you should always be perceptive of it so that, say, when particular races are oppressed, you can identify it

Well, did I not say that we have specifically discussed racism? We have.

It's not that they don't "see" people's skin color, and I wasn't referring to racial oppression... I mean I have tried to teach them that race is not relevant in everyday life.

#82 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

How do you feel about Chinese slavery in the West? Does it disgust you equally?

would my feelings on the subject change the facts?

#83 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

You teach your son to treat people as he'd like to be treated and don't speak ill about people in front of him. No one is infallible. My son (8) and my daughter (11) have never heard my wife or I utter any racial slur. Period. I've grown up with and known people that do. They understand how we raise our children and I'll be damned if I'll have them grow up understanding something other than what they view in their own life experience. Even in politics, I've never told my kids I'm a republican. My wife was a democrat and now is unaffiliated. We purposefully do not discuss, outside of individual subjects, what our party affiliation is and push one line. In fact, when the debates were going on, my son and I were sitting on the bed watching it and he asked why you watch them. I, internally, knew who I was voting for, but I explained you watch both sides and you come to a determination on who you vote for based on what's important to you and their stance on those issues. I could've gone down the ignorant route and just explained that you do this because our people do "this" or "that". I want them to get as much as they can from the life experience.

Now...saying all that...I'm sadly seeing situations in his elementary school where disciplinary issues arise in kids in his class (not him...he's a freaking rule follower to the nth degree). I would be lying to you if I'd say less than 8 times out of 10, the child has a recognizable cultural name. I explain to my kid that maybe he has issues at home that he doesn't understand...or doesn't understand what he's doing is wrong...or needs encouragement when he may not understand what's seemingly coming so easy for him. Never do I make it about race. But at some point in his life, these experiences are going to write human naturee-esque equivocations in his head despite my insistence he judge everyone by their own actions. There's only so much you can do to raise a child and when you let them go, you hope you've instilled a sense of love in them that they are obvlivious to crap like race, gender, religous belief, sexual orientation, etc.

So if he were to hold certain prejudices in the future, at least part of the blame would be due to those kids with recognisably cultural names?

#84 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

would my feelings on the subject change the facts?

Exactly.

#85 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

So if he were to hold certain prejudices in the future, at least part of the blame would be due to those kids with recognisably cultural names?

You miss the whole "judge people by their actions/content of character part"?

But you'd have to be a naive baffoon to think early life experiences do not play a part in stereotypes. It's human nature.

#86 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

unless I am reading this wrong, I think that's exactly the wrong response!!!

we go on and on and on about equality and diversity, but we are supposed to recognize it when people are oppressed based on their race? Why not just look at people as individuals and recognize when they are oppressed as an individial instead? why should it matter what their skin tone or the nationality is?

#87 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

1. these people were not bred for slavery in africa. europeans/americans did not go into the jungles of africa and pull out africans, they paid other africans to do it for them... I'm not sure how you conclude that this somehow excludes them from critique.

2. The US was one of the last of many nations to ban slavery.

I'm not excluding them by any means. i do not condone what happened back then or today in most african, asian, and e.european nations. I was pointing out that it isn't just evil white people. My family has never taught me to hate or discriminate based on anything other than the content of character. I base my friends on the same philosophy. And maybe you are right we might have been one of the last legislateively. but actively slavery is very rampant in this world. but theres no evil whites to point the finger at, so we just ignore it. And if this doesn't exclude whites does it exclude the africans who took money and captured thier own people? Cause there ain't a dollar amount that i would sell out my own people for. Or anyone else for that matter. To me this whole racist arguement is what the gov hoped for when they created segratist laws. In hopes that the whites and blacks would never unify. Keeps us in seperate voting blocks long after segragation. To me our differences is what makes life worth living. How could I be myself if I'm just trying to be like everybody else?

#88 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

You miss the whole "judge people by their actions/content of character part"?

Nope.

But you'd have to be a naive baffoon to think early life experiences do not play a part in stereotypes. It's human nature.

So that's a yes then.

#89 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

You're assuming he will, but if he does...it may/may not be due to his elementary experience. It may be something else. But to think it is never possible would be stupidly naive on my part.

#90 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,185 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

There was a good article this year about a black baseball player being mad at MLB for saying baseball needs to have more black players etc. I'm sure it was white people who thought this is what was needed because you know those educated whites know the plight of blacks. His point was many black kids are ding other important things besides sports and baseball.

Let me find that link and one of you enlightened white libs can forward the cartoon to him and tell him you understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com