#91 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

first off UNC is not under NCAA investigation anymore, this is a university led process to try to insure the foolishness that led to the mess we find ourselves in never happens again. second UT has a great fanbase & support but the state of tenn does not produce much div. 1 caliber prospects while N. Carolina produces them in spades. in fact NC is taylor made for Fedora with the amount of spread offenses run in the state

The trolls think they are still under investigation. LOLZ. The Carolina hate on this board is visceral.

Also, people (i.e. posters on this board and members of the media) refer to carolina as a "stepping stone school" that is used by a coach for bigger and better things. I totally disagree and quite frankly anyone who says that doesn't know what they're talking about. When has a coach ever just got up and left for bigger and better things?

#92 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Translation: Both Strong and Fedora have small nuts.

They like the low pressure gig and don't think they are ready to take on a fanbase that demands to win championships. It's fine that the pressure of the job is what made the decision for them but you will never convince anyone that knows college sports that these coaches "love" Louisville or UNC as a football job. That just isn't the case...it's about getting paid now and then when you are financially set and you feel like you finally grew a pair of balls you take a job like Tennessee, Florida, Bama.

lol do you know who Fedora is? He is pretty much fearless. His coaching style doesn't really fit with SEC football. Not much of a defensive guy. I have no doubt he can coach in the SEC and beat the best the conference has to offer.

#93 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 5,147 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

The trolls think they are still under investigation. LOLZ. The Carolina hate on this board is visceral.

Also, people (i.e. posters on this board and members of the media) refer to carolina as a "stepping stone school" that is used by a coach for bigger and better things. I totally disagree and quite frankly anyone who says that doesn't know what they're talking about. When has a coach ever just got up and left for bigger and better things?

Eh, Mack Brown is the obvious answer...but honestly, how many other coaches has UNC had that were even capable of moving on to a bigger/better school? Carolina is probably the best job in the State, has it's obvious perks/benefits, but it's still only a good job, not a great one.

#94 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

How does what I said not make sense to you? I will say it in a different way...Fedora and Strong want stability in a low pressure situation. Fedora is in a situation where he can't lose. He's coaching a team where the previous coach was a cheater that had them put on a bowl ban and lost scholarships.

Haha wow you know everything dont you? Not only do you KNOW that Fedora and Strong are scared to go to a big name school (of course they couldnt just be holding out for a better big name job since UT is a few years away from winning), you KNOW that they arent doing it because they like their current situation either.

By all means keep throwing out your speculative bullshit, I think its funny.

#95 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,690 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Sorry this thread has been hijacked by UT talk.
I'd love to get Tee back in Knoxville.
I'm feeling better about Jones, but he still needs a dynamite staff to recruit in the south.

Butch Jones is a great hire IMO not big name but he is a great coach,

#96 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Eh, Mack Brown is the obvious answer...but honestly, how many other coaches has UNC had that were even capable of moving on to a bigger/better school? Carolina is probably the best job in the State, has it's obvious perks/benefits, but it's still only a good job, not a great one.

Mack Brown the obvious answer?

Uh, he was at Carolina for a decade before heading to Texas.

Wow.

#97 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 5,147 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Wow.

Um yeah? He built the program up at UNC, and moved on. Whether it be 1 year or 10...he used it as a stepping stone for bigger and better things, did he not? Are you now allowed to back track and put a time frame on your original assertion? As the rest of my post said...he's kinda the only guy who has been able to step up anywhere. Carolina has kinda had poo coaches for awhile...none have had the opportunity to just get up and move on to better things because none of them had the chance outside of Mack.

#98 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

unicar15 is making this thread the best read ever. Dude you shouldn't even talk with your foot already placed firmly in your mouth lol.

#99 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,241 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

LMAO

a week ago "LOL TOLD YA HOLES FEDORA'S JUMPING SHIP TO THE SEC"

Now "WELL FEDORA IS A NUTLESS LOSER THAT'S WHY HE TURNED TENNESSEE DOWN"

#100 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Wow.

First...in the last what...30 years Carolina has had one really successful coach. His name was Mack Brown and as soon as Texas came calling (a bigger and better job) he left. It's what happens when you are a coach in the ACC and even moreso when you are a coach at a North Carolina school. We are not a football state and the sooner your realize that the sooner you will be less disappointed when Fedora leaves. There are three scenarios with Larry Fedora as there are three scenarios, I believe, with new NC State coach Dave Doeren...

A - Fedora wins a lot at UNC...perhaps wins an ACC Championship...then he leaves. Why would he do that some of you wonder. The simple answer is that UNC will never, ever, EVER be in position to win a national title. Not as long as the BCS is in place and UNC is a member of the ACC. The same goes for NC State. It's not a great scenario (I'm and NC State fan, remember) but it's the facts. Florida State, a team made up of talent that NC State and Carolina could only dream of, lost 1 game this year before the loss to Florida and they were ranked 10th. Not even CLOSE to a national championship. Therefore, if Fedora actually is one of these truly elite coaches he's not staying at UNC to piddle around with ACC titles...he's leaving to try and win the big one.

B - Fedora is good, not great. He wins 7-10 games a year. Once in a while he competes for an ACC title. He keeps UNC fans happy for 6-7 years...and then they fire him because they want to do better...and for some reason think that they should be competing for national titles...even though its never happened in their history.

C - Fedora sucks. He stays around for 4-5 years...goes .500 and then gets canned.

IMO considering the history of UNC football and the history of football in the state of North Carolina in general...Fedora will be option B. I think the same will hold true for Dave Doeren at NC State. I think that we win 7 games in our off years...I think he finally gets us to that 10 win season and competing with FSU for the Atlantic and honestly he could jump ship if he has success like that. It's what happens at NC State and UNC. Whether you want to admit it or not North Carolina football jobs are stepping stone jobs. You are not talking about UNC basketball where the job is a top 3-4 job in the country. Football is WAY second-tier in the state and probably moreso at UNC than at NCSU. So suck it up...come to grips...and enjoy basketball. Because this isn't Florida or California where the stud football recruits grow on trees and want to stay home. This is North Carolina where we are lucky if we can keep our recruits in state and away from the SEC. If you don't get that then you haven't been following football in this state for very long and I suggest you look back at the history books for the last...umm...50 years.

#101 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Not fair to call Fedora and Strong cowards for not taking the job. There are unfortunate things going on behind the scenes with our AD. The chancellor is trying to make UT's academic standards tougher than the rest of the conference. It's asinine and causing lots of drawback.
Also, it has come out that Strong accepted the job but changed his mind when he got in front of his players to tell them his decision.

#102 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,005 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

This. Is. Embarrassing.
Our entire athletic department should be blown out of there. We're currently being run by an AD we got from Bama and a chancellor we got from Florida.
Hire Fulmer as AD and Petrino as coach.

This isn't embarrassing it is just reality setting in. Tennessee is not a very good job right now. It just isn't.

People were running from the job like it had leprosy. Their recruiting territory is dried up and/or has been taken over by neighboring schools. And the they have not been really relevant in the last 8 years outside of one 10-4 record in 2007.

The last time Tennessee was "Tennessee" the high school seniors were 10 years old.

They are several years away from being competitive in the SEC again, and they just proved they can't get a prominent coach. They can't get a coach who is unemployed, a coach in the Big East, a coach who hates his boss in the Big 12, and a coach with recruiting limitations stemming from probation in the ACC to take the job.

I hope Butch Jones turns it around because Tennessee has a proud tradition, but right now, it just isn't a very good job.

#103 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,005 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

First...in the last what...30 years Carolina has had one really successful coach. His name was Mack Brown and as soon as Texas came calling (a bigger and better job) he left. It's what happens when you are a coach in the ACC and even moreso when you are a coach at a North Carolina school. We are not a football state and the sooner your realize that the sooner you will be less disappointed when Fedora leaves. There are three scenarios with Larry Fedora as there are three scenarios, I believe, with new NC State coach Dave Doeren...

If Texas is the school that determines whether you are a stepping stone or not, then 98% of the BCS schools are a stepping stone. Texas is the dream job of nearly every coach in college football.

A - Fedora wins a lot at UNC...perhaps wins an ACC Championship...then he leaves. Why would he do that some of you wonder. The simple answer is that UNC will never, ever, EVER be in position to win a national title. Not as long as the BCS is in place and UNC is a member of the ACC. The same goes for NC State. It's not a great scenario (I'm and NC State fan, remember) but it's the facts. Florida State, a team made up of talent that NC State and Carolina could only dream of, lost 1 game this year before the loss to Florida and they were ranked 10th. Not even CLOSE to a national championship. Therefore, if Fedora actually is one of these truly elite coaches he's not staying at UNC to piddle around with ACC titles...he's leaving to try and win the big one.

The BCS is going to be different. Top 4 teams get in to play for a national championship. It makes being in the ACC less of a hindrance, and if he wins a lot at UNC he will have every chance to win a NC

B - Fedora is good, not great. He wins 7-10 games a year. Once in a while he competes for an ACC title. He keeps UNC fans happy for 6-7 years...and then they fire him because they want to do better...and for some reason think that they should be competing for national titles...even though its never happened in their history.

I think you are referring to what NC State literally just did. Don't confuse us with those guys. Competing for BCS bowls and ACC Championships will keep UNC fans happy. At least for a while.

C - Fedora sucks. He stays around for 4-5 years...goes .500 and then gets canned.

IMO considering the history of UNC football and the history of football in the state of North Carolina in general...Fedora will be option B. I think the same will hold true for Dave Doeren at NC State. I think that we win 7 games in our off years...I think he finally gets us to that 10 win season and competing with FSU for the Atlantic and honestly he could jump ship if he has success like that. It's what happens at NC State and UNC. Whether you want to admit it or not North Carolina football jobs are stepping stone jobs. You are not talking about UNC basketball where the job is a top 3-4 job in the country. Football is WAY second-tier in the state and probably moreso at UNC than at NCSU. So suck it up...come to grips...and enjoy basketball. Because this isn't Florida or California where the stud football recruits grow on trees and want to stay home. This is North Carolina where we are lucky if we can keep our recruits in state and away from the SEC. If you don't get that then you haven't been following football in this state for very long and I suggest you look back at the history books for the last...umm...50 years.

There is only 3 jobs that really worry me about snatching up Fedora. Florida, Oklahoma State, or Texas.

Other than that, not too worried.

#104 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

If Texas is the school that determines whether you are a stepping stone or not, then 98% of the BCS schools are a stepping stone. Texas is the dream job of nearly every coach in college football.

Texas is the only example out there bc UNC hasn't been successful other than the Mack Brown years...sorry nobody wanted John Bunting or Carl Torbush.

The BCS is going to be different. Top 4 teams get in to play for a national championship. It makes being in the ACC less of a hindrance, and if he wins a lot at UNC he will have every chance to win a NC

False...just false.

I think you are referring to what NC State literally just did. Don't confuse us with those guys. Competing for BCS bowls and ACC Championships will keep UNC fans happy. At least for a while.

Hah...how is this any different than what you said? BCS bowls will keep Carolina happy for a while?? Carolina I don't think has ever played in a BCS bowl and you are claiming you expect that to be your standard all of a sudden? That it'll only keep you satisfied for a while. This is why people think UNC fans are delusional.

There is only 3 jobs that really worry me about snatching up Fedora. Florida, Oklahoma State, or Texas.

Other than that, not too worried.

#105 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,005 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Can't really quote you because of how you posted that LOL.

Actually you could say that Fedora was good enough. Last offseason he was offered the Texas A&M job but turned them down to go to UNC, and this year he turned down Tennessee, a self proclaimed top 10 job to stay at UNC. Doesn't sound like a stepping stone to me.

Maybe I didn't articulate what what I meant. When I said competing for an ACC title and BCS bowls, all you have to do is occasionally win the Coastal. Miami is on a down swing and facing major sanctions, Va Tech is starting to drop off, GT isn't what it used to be, UVA is hit or miss but usually bad, Duke is on the rise, and has a great coach, but still has a deficiency in talent. I am not sure who will be in the coastal but Pitt is decent and Syracuse stinks.

So you tell me, is it that far fetched that UNC competes to win the coastal. They won it this year. They possibly have a top 20 class coming in even with only having 20 scholarships.

And if they occasionally win the coastal they are playing for an ACC championship (as they would be this year if not for postseason ban) and therefore, competing for a BCS bowl.

Soooo... that isn't that far fetched or unreasonable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com