Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Only to State fans, teeray.

#107 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Can't really quote you because of how you posted that LOL.

Actually you could say that Fedora was good enough. Last offseason he was offered the Texas A&M job but turned them down to go to UNC, and this year he turned down Tennessee, a self proclaimed top 10 job to stay at UNC. Doesn't sound like a stepping stone to me.

Maybe I didn't articulate what what I meant. When I said competing for an ACC title and BCS bowls, all you have to do is occasionally win the Coastal. Miami is on a down swing and facing major sanctions, Va Tech is starting to drop off, GT isn't what it used to be, UVA is hit or miss but usually bad, Duke is on the rise, and has a great coach, but still has a deficiency in talent. I am not sure who will be in the coastal but Pitt is decent and Syracuse stinks.

So you tell me, is it that far fetched that UNC competes to win the coastal. They won it this year. They possibly have a top 20 class coming in even with only having 20 scholarships.

And if they occasionally win the coastal they are playing for an ACC championship (as they would be this year if not for postseason ban) and therefore, competing for a BCS bowl.

Soooo... that isn't that far fetched or unreasonable.

Well if he actually did turn down A&M as well as turning down Tennessee this year then I think my initial point of him wanting a lower stress job is accurate. Sorry...but UNC is NOT on par with Tennessee, A&M or any other SEC job. I think that this is a question where if you polled sports writers and fans across the nation you would probably see 99% of them say that UNC is not even close to that type of job IF your aspirations are national titles and being an elite coach/team.

But every job is measured differently and every coach wants different things. I really believe that Larry Fedora saw the Tenn job (as well as the A&M job if he turned that down) as too much pressure.

The other aspect to this story is that Tennessee isn't saying they offered Fedora the job...it's basically Fedora coming out and saying "yeah they offered but I turned them down." What was he supposed to say? "Yeah UNC I interviewed for the job and really wanted it but they went with someone else instead...soo..Im back!" Just because you are interviewed and in the top 3 candidates (according to the media) doesn't mean you are going to get the job. See Sonny Dykes in football and Gregg Marshall in basketrball the last few years. Both were reported as the frontrunners for NC State gigs but when Yow interviewed them she didn't like them and went in a different direction.

#108 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well if he actually did turn down A&M as well as turning down Tennessee this year then I think my initial point of him wanting a lower stress job is accurate. Sorry...but UNC is NOT on par with Tennessee, A&M or any other SEC job. I think that this is a question where if you polled sports writers and fans across the nation you would probably see 99% of them say that UNC is not even close to that type of job IF your aspirations are national titles and being an elite coach/team.

But every job is measured differently and every coach wants different things. I really believe that Larry Fedora saw the Tenn job (as well as the A&M job if he turned that down) as too much pressure.

The other aspect to this story is that Tennessee isn't saying they offered Fedora the job...it's basically Fedora coming out and saying "yeah they offered but I turned them down." What was he supposed to say? "Yeah UNC I interviewed for the job and really wanted it but they went with someone else instead...soo..Im back!" Just because you are interviewed and in the top 3 candidates (according to the media) doesn't mean you are going to get the job. See Sonny Dykes in football and Gregg Marshall in basketrball the last few years. Both were reported as the frontrunners for NC State gigs but when Yow interviewed them she didn't like them and went in a different direction.

Maybe if you polled fans and media, but last year ESPN actually did a poll amongst current and former coaches as well as some in the media to find out what was the most desirable opening last offseason. Here is what actual coaches had to say:

1. North Carolina Tar Heels

UNC was the landslide winner among those I polled, and this job also scores well because of the area's incredible livability and centralized recruiting base. Butch Davis was able to recruit top-end talent to Chapel Hill before he landed in hot water over NCAA rules violations.
Even though Carolina is still first and foremost a basketball school, the pieces are in place to accomplish what the Texas Longhorns, Florida Gators and Ohio State Buckeyes have done during the past decade: win big in both hoops and football. The school's academic reputation, state-of-the-art facilities and strong alumni base help create the opportunity for the school to break through on the gridiron.
The talent level of this roster is strong as well. The Tar Heels have put together ESPN's 13th-, 24th- and 16th-ranked classes the last three years, the best marks of any of the five teams listed here. Sophomore quarterback Bryn Renner has shown flashes of brilliance, and star freshman running back Giovani Bernard has rushed for more than 100 yards per game. Replacing defensive end Quinton Coples and linebacker Zach Brown's defensive production will be paramount in 2012, but the cupboards are full of enough talent and athleticism to compete for ACC titles in the years ahead.

http://insider.espn....ch-openings-cfb

ALL of the people close to Larry Fedora said he had brief conversation with Hart in NYC where he told him he was not interested in even interviewing for Tennessee. That conversation became what the media claims was the interview.

And again if Tennessee is such a good job why did every coach run away from it like the plague??

But hey if you would rather deal in hypothetical polls rather than actual polls of coaches than be my guest. Whatever makes you feel better.

#109 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

But hey if you would rather deal in hypothetical polls rather than actual polls of coaches than be my guest. Whatever makes you feel better.

But, 99%!!!

Got to remember that you arent evaluating these job opportunities in a vacuum. Winning at Tennessee, right now, is gonna be really really difficult. The talent there right now is mediocre at best, you play in the hardest conference/ division in the country, and the AD is apparently incompetent.

Its a school with great facilities and great tradition, but its gonna take some time to build the team before you can compete in your own conference. I'm not sure how anyone could argue that its a can't miss job when so many coaches have turned it down

#110 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Strong rejecting is far more surprising than Fedora. UT was a top ten gig, but UNC and State are 15-20 type jobs..not that much of a bump. Why Strong stayed at UL which is a 25-30 type job is beyond me.

My theory is that a lot of coaches are waiting to see what happens next year with Texas. If Mack is forced to retire they will offer Saban 10 mil/yr...so UTx or Bama may be open next year.

#111 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

couple of comments on Mack Brown, Mack loved Carolina & people that know him will tell you the only jobs he would leave for were either Florida State or Texas.

#112 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Strong rejecting is far more surprising than Fedora. UT was a top ten gig, but UNC and State are 15-20 type jobs..not that much of a bump. Why Strong stayed at UL which is a 25-30 type job is beyond me.

My theory is that a lot of coaches are waiting to see what happens next year with Texas. If Mack is forced to retire they will offer Saban 10 mil/yr...so UTx or Bama may be open next year.

because Louisville is trending up, they have the resources & more importantly will spend the money to compete.

#113 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Maybe if you polled fans and media, but last year ESPN actually did a poll amongst current and former coaches as well as some in the media to find out what was the most desirable opening last offseason. Here is what actual coaches had to say:

ALL of the people close to Larry Fedora said he had brief conversation with Hart in NYC where he told him he was not interested in even interviewing for Tennessee. That conversation became what the media claims was the interview.

And again if Tennessee is such a good job why did every coach run away from it like the plague??

#114 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Every coach ran away from UT like the plague? Interesting.
They went after a coach at his alma mater, a guy whose AD had said many times that he'd match ANY offers made to his guy, and a coach that had been at a school for just one year. Bielema admitted on ESPN that he spoke to UT before ARK but they weren't interested bc of his lack of recruiting in the south. Not a huge fan of Jones, but this statement was reaching a bit. EVERY football analyst called UT the best job open this year. The AD is just a goofus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com