Photo
- - - - -

I think I am going to fire someone next week.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

f*ck interns. the ones that aren't worthless don't stay interns very long.

#12 catfang

catfang

HUDDLER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

OP, the fact you feel bad proves that you are not an asshole.

I've fired a few people and the range of reactions was disbelief up to yelling in my face.

One HR guy gave me good advice - make it quick. As soon as you tell them they are being let go (and this should happen within 15 sec of you closing the office door), they won't be listening to much else you are saying. They will be thinking about what they are going to do, etc etc. Make it short and, well, sweet, as someone else already posted. Stay professional.

#13 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

HUDDLER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Pay someone else to do it...that's what I'd do.... :)

and if they don't do it...pay someone else to fire both of them

#14 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

Administrators

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

If you can't fire someone yourself, you are in no position to manage/hire people in general.

#15 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• LocationWherever I May Roam
HUDDLER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hire your intern first... then assign their first task to fire someone...

#16 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

HUDDLER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

If you can't fire someone yourself, you are in no position to manage/hire people in general.

No poo, assface! That's why I'm not a boss and no one gives a poo about me :(

thanks for reminding me

#17 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• LocationOn a Sales Call
HUDDLER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

No poo, assface! That's why I'm not a boss and no one gives a poo about me :(

thanks for reminding me

Just pretend that your desk area is Mrs Panther Fan country and you are Queen of the land. Put some troll dolls on it if you want people to boss around and fire.

Being important and having managerial duties kind of sucks at times. I enjoyed being a sales guy. As Director of Sales there is so much more responsibility and people are involved. I'm much better at being an irresponsible sales rep that is mostly ignored unless I don't meet my numbers.

#18 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• LocationWherever I May Roam
HUDDLER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

My wife has hired and fired more people than I can count. When we were in NC she would win just about every unemployment hearing with all the documentation and other stuff...

...here, in Virginia, she still attends the hearings, but it doesn't matter if she fires 'em for cause (stealing, falsifying time cards, etc.) they still get unemployment. She's had cases where the security camera footage clearly shows them stealing, loading stuff in their car, leaving early, arriving late- all on video. Still gets unemployment.... unbelievable.

I was standing right next to her one night as we approached the back door as an employee was coming out the back door with a brand new, unopened bottle of tequila under his coat and she nailed him on the spot. So she fires him right there, he's a minor who doesn't drive, so she calls his mother with him standing there. She comes to pick him up, explains to Mom why she fired him, shows him the bottle and the Mom gets pissed at my wife for firing him!

It's a "right-to-hire, right-to-fire" state. Just keep it simple and tell them your services are no longer required, thanks for your time here and we'll walk you to the door.

#19 Hotsauce

Hotsauce

Future Training Camp MVP

HUDDLER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Yes, I have a paper trail and HR is aware. I don't believe I am an asshole, if anything I would guess my reps like me. I think I came in as a relatable manager because I am fresh from being a sales rep myself.
I have never been fired, only laid off....twice (non performance related). worse feeling in the world. I just hate to put someone else through that.

#20 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yes, I have a paper trail and HR is aware. I don't believe I am an asshole, if anything I would guess my reps like me. I think I came in as a relatable manager because I am fresh from being a sales rep myself.
I have never been fired, only laid off....twice (non performance related). worse feeling in the world. I just hate to put someone else through that.

Can you not talk to the person first?

Explain what is going on, and what is expected?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users